Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I think it's unnecessarily difficult to have an aviation museum that's not on airport property. The last time I went to CAM there was a fly in of WWII planes. That couldn't happen if the museum wasn't where it is.

BTW-one of the celebrities at that event who is an aviation buff happened to be Bobby Allison.
I still think a complementary (of course scaled) flight museum theme downtown would mesh well if they could find a corp/private investor to poney-up or donate a ton of cash, else it ain't gonna happen in this and near future economic climate. Arrange shuttles to CAM from uptown.

I'm not a Nascar fan but do remember Bobby Allison and the Alabama Gang (dudes were tough on the track). The NHOF and Charlotte seem to have missed out on properly marketing the Hall as a family event/activity and have failed to reach across the demographic divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aside from DC because of the Smithsonian Institutes which our tax dollars fund a large part of, the rest of those cities don't necessarily have a lot of free attractions. In the downtown area of Atlanta, only the King Center is free. However, most of those cities have an allure or history of their own which generate visitors apart from other reasons (business, conventions, etc.). Even though the HOF preceded the Levine Center, I think it might would have done better within the vicinity. The parking lot adjacent to the Gantt Center would have been a good spot, or the Goodyear lot across from the Charlotte Observer building.
I think that was my point, a major attraction in the vicinity of the NHOF that could serve as the incentive, akin to what they did in the ATL. And DC is probably the only city worthwhile touring to take-in all the free "stuff" such as monuments, memorials, etc. You can barely get into to NYC without paying some kind of fee (toll, etc). I'm not sure what you'd do in NYC for free on a family or group vacation? Park and take pictures from Jersey? Lol, j/k, there a sites to take-in like Central Park, Wall Street, T-Square, etc but you gotta pay to play in NYC.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No, I haven't been but heard it was nice. I think co-locating that aviation museum uptown with a broad expansion and marketing effort would've been better a approach than sort of having it sit oddly out near the airport; many people here don't know it exists and not in heavy traffic footprint. If DC can house umpteen museums surely Charlotte can replace two or three parking lots with a new museum.
Quote:
That's cool too (current location) but at least market/bundle it so people know about it. What does the federal gov have to do with building an attraction that could potentailly support itself unlike the NHOF? Anyway I was talking about land to support the museum.

Do they market any of the stuff in Charotte as bundle, etc? I did a few while in Seattle as bundle...Space Needle, Museum of Flight, etc but hat was a while back.
I assumed when you spoke of DC you meant of the numerous Smithsonian Museums, all of which are supported mostly by the federal govt, to the tune of 70%. It is much easier to build these world-class institution when the your direct patronage do not need to support it, but do so in an indirect way of tax dollares.

To do what you are suggesting would be huge outlawing of cash to purchase property, build, maintain a building, then have to buy, restore, maintain exhibits. All of it to be paid for by ticket admissions and group events. The ticket price would be astronomical thus people would not utilize the attraction just as they are not using the NHOF.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
I assumed when you spoke of DC you meant of the numerous Smithsonian Museums, all of which are supported mostly by the federal govt, to the tune of 70%. It is much easier to build these world-class institution when the your direct patronage do not need to support it, but do so in an indirect way of tax dollares.

To do what you are suggesting would be huge outlawing of cash to purchase property, build, maintain a building, then have to buy, restore, maintain exhibits. All of it to be paid for by ticket admissions and group events. The ticket price would be astronomical thus people would not utilize the attraction just as they are not using the NHOF.
I was responding to someone who said there wasn't enough land space uptown to support an aviation museum and referred to urban DC as an example (refer to quote "replace two or three parking lots uptown")....not all the specifics with cost, etc. I am fully aware of how the free market system works.

Edit: Lastly, I wouldn't use the NHOF as an absolute for determining what kind of museums or other attractions could be financed and/or economically sustained in Charlotte. The unrealistic NHOF revenue projections had two variables that changed from conceptual to open-day phase: (1) the magnitude and length of the great recession (2) the huge and unforeseen decline in Nascar popualarity.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-28-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
I don't even think it would necessarily have to be (a) museum(s) in the vicinity of the HOF that have anything to do specifically with NC history or culture. For instance, New Orleans has an insectarium/butterfly garden. I think something like that would have wide-enough appeal and would be a good start to having other attractions in the vicinity to help boost HOF attendance.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't even think it would necessarily have to be (a) museum(s) in the vicinity of the HOF that have anything to do specifically with NC history or culture. For instance, New Orleans has an insectarium/butterfly garden. I think something like that would have wide-enough appeal and would be a good start to having other attractions in the vicinity to help boost HOF attendance.
I agree.. Charlotte has 5 museums Uptown.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 9,887 times
Charlotte peoples don like nascar.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davarius View Post
Charlotte peoples don like nascar.
The Charlotte Motor Speedway is one of the most recognizable in the country and Speedway Motorsports calls the Speedway home. Not to mention all of the history Charlotte, and the entire state of North Carolina has with racing.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
Quote:
I was responding to someone who said there wasn't enough land space uptown to support an aviation museum and referred to urban DC as an example (refer to quote "replace two or three parking lots uptown")....not all the specifics with cost, etc. I am fully aware of how the free market system works.

Edit: Lastly, I wouldn't use the NHOF as an absolute for determining what kind of museums or other attractions could be financed and/or economically sustained in Charlotte. The unrealistic NHOF revenue projections had two variables that changed from conceptual to open-day phase: (1) the magnitude and length of the great recession (2) the huge and unforeseen decline in Nascar popualarity.
Everything you said is correct, however, I still think what most people don't realize is where it is located! If the NHOF was located on Tryon Street near that cultural campus, the attendance would be a lot better, I think they need to add another tourist attraction near NHOF as well! They've been talking about redeveloping the Brevard Street corridor as a walkable stroll district for quite some time, now is the time to get the ball rolling on that, maybe they need to also build an aquarium next to NHOF!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 AM

53 posts, read 104,266 times
Adding all that crap isnt going to change the fact that there the city lacks any type of historical sites (It will never be a Philadelphia, Washington or Charleston). Nor does it have GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES! Maybe if the board of tourism can transplant a 14K ft Volcano near the city like Seattle, or a glistening coastline and forests like San Fransico, People would actually want to come here. The Fake Cement Creek is awesome though. Name another large city that doesnt have major water features?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte