U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM

515 posts, read 905,999 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone want that? How would you get the people in and out of the city? Where would they park?...Charlotte just doesn't have the infrastructure to support a big city...companies should move to the outer loop. I work in the city and hate it, I waste close to two hours a day just getting back and forth to work....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM

3,748 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Why would anyone want that? How would you get the people in and out of the city? Where would they park?...Charlotte just doesn't have the infrastructure to support a big city...companies should move to the outer loop. I work in the city and hate it, I waste close to two hours a day just getting back and forth to work....

A look into the mind of a suburbanite.

The way to get companies to relocate to the outerloop is to pony up some money and invest it in infrastructure, incentives, quality of life, etc. We don't invest billions in advertising, parks, incentives, etc. just to get people "in and out of here".

Old 08-31-2013, 03:37 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,867,046 times
Quote:
How would a 1,000 ft. building cause any delay?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:14 PM

515 posts, read 905,999 times
I take it you disagree Charlotte485, and you think it is a good idea to centralize, having a large number of large companies all uptown. RT 77 and RT 85 are a total mess, the light rail only extends to the 485 belt, the surface roads are jammed during rush hour...Why wouldn't you want to spread the work centers around the area and better leverage the existing road and highway system...

Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I take it you disagree Charlotte485, and you think it is a good idea to centralize, having a large number of large companies all uptown. RT 77 and RT 85 are a total mess, the light rail only extends to the 485 belt, the surface roads are jammed during rush hour...Why wouldn't you want to spread the work centers around the area and better leverage the existing road and highway system...
There are other cities with much more office buildings within their central business districts. Charlotte traffic is not bad and a 1,000ft office tower isn't going to change that.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 7,484 times
Let's make it 2,723 feet.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,965,064 times
Quote:
As some who works in Atlanta's Perimeter area, I can you tell that it's a horrible, horrible idea. Pray that Charlotte avoids being Atlanta as much possible. I can walk to I285 from office in a few minutes, but it takes 30 minutes to get my car on it, let alone getting anywhere beyond the ramp.

Additionally decentralizing also makes most roads in various directions a mess. Cities have a traffic, encouraging smarter growth and more expansive transit... and yes better infrastructure makes sense then creating edge cities.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
As some who works in Atlanta's Perimeter area, I can you tell that it's a horrible, horrible idea. Pray that Charlotte avoids being Atlanta as much possible. I can walk to I285 from office in a few minutes, but it takes 30 minutes to get my car on it, let alone getting anywhere beyond the ramp.

Additionally decentralizing also makes most roads in various directions a mess. Cities have a traffic, encouraging smarter growth and more expansive transit... and yes better infrastructure makes sense then creating edge cities.
Atlanta has 5.5 million people, Charlotte has 2.3. Obviously traffic is going to be much worse there. Plus you're using the entire Perimeter area as a comparison to why one office building shouldn't be built.

Perimeter is comparable to SouthPark, not Uptown.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,965,064 times
Quote:
Atlanta has 5.5 million people, Charlotte has 2.3. Obviously traffic is going to be much worse there. Plus you're using the entire Perimeter area as a comparison to why one office building shouldn't be built.

Perimeter is comparable to SouthPark, not Uptown.
I understand the differences in size, but unless something changes, Charlotte will follow the same path as Atlanta and that would be unfortunate... yes some of it inevitable, but not all of it. It may seem like "one building" but that changes quickly. Perimeter has more office space than downtown. And now many companies are locating many miles up GA 400 in the suburb of Alpharetta, not to mention a smaller, but still very large suburban office market at 285 and 75 and others still.

I'm just saying that Charlotte should do all it can to maintain and grow the city center. Suburban offices are a given, but Charlotte has a nice downtown to build on.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I understand the differences in size, but unless something changes, Charlotte will follow the same path as Atlanta and that would be unfortunate... yes some of it inevitable, but not all of it. It may seem like "one building" but that changes quickly. Perimeter has more office space than downtown. And now many companies are locating many miles up GA 400 in the suburb of Alpharetta, not to mention a smaller, but still very large suburban office market at 285 and 75 and others still.

I'm just saying that Charlotte should do all it can to maintain and grow the city center. Suburban offices are a given, but Charlotte has a nice downtown to build on.
You want Charlotte to grow the city center but don't want a new office building to be built there because of potential traffic issues?

Charlotte will grow to be Charlotte. It isn't going to "follow in Atlanta's footsteps." It's ridiculous to say that because Atlanta has major traffic problems, more buildings being constructed in Charlotte will cause Charlotte's traffic to worsen to the levels of Atlanta. For a metro of almost 2.5 million people, Charlotte's traffic would be praised when talking to someone from Austin. Austin is a smaller metro and worse traffic problems. Will development stop because of it? No.

There is a baseball stadium, two high rise condos being constructed, an urban park that just opened, and multiple other projects being planned in Uptown; it's growing just fine. But there are other areas in Charlotte that will see similar developments. Ballantyne and SouthPark will continue to construct buildings, just as well as Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte