U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM

4,206 posts, read 10,098,865 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a trip and I'm debating what's the best course of action.

I live in Raleigh and will be kennelling my dogs near Greensboro. I can fly from Greensboro to Charlotte and on to my final destination, or I can drive the ~88miles from Greensboro to Charlotte to catch my flight. The kennel is only 20 miles from the airport, so it'd be nice not to have to drive 1.5 hours. The downside is that the layover is only 47 minutes in Charlotte (both flights are US Airways). I assume it's a small commuter plane for the first part, and a larger jet for the second.

That short of a layover makes me really nervous, so I was hoping someone here could give me their opinion on how well that would work at the Charlotte airport.

Thanks in advance!

Anita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,881,531 times
47 mins is cutting it to fine I would not attempt it if I was checking baggage or flying out off the country on your 2nd flight.

As you have to pick up your baggage and hand it to the transfer person, I always allow min of 30mins for my baggage.

Having said that small flight it should be quick but never usually works that way.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 61,116 times
uh...not quite sure what your question is. Are you expecting to drive from a kennel just outside of Greensboro and get to CLT in 47 mins? Dont think that's gonna happen...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFF View Post
uh...not quite sure what your question is. Are you expecting to drive from a kennel just outside of Greensboro and get to CLT in 47 mins? Dont think that's gonna happen...
Sorry.. no.. I can fly from Greensboro to Charlotte, but then only have a 47 minute layover to catch an outgoing flight to Jamaica. My alternative is to drive 80 miles, get to the Charlotte airport easily 2 hours before my flight.

I'm leaning towards the latter because I really don't think 47 minutes is enough time to catch the 2nd flight. I was posting here in case someone said "the Charlotte airport is so super duper you can definitely catch your 2nd flight in time!"

Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM

23 posts, read 61,116 times
oh, I see. Well, there shouldn't be many problems flying from Greensboro to CLT, heck it must only take a few mins in the air. I dont know what you'd pay to get from GB to CLT but if it's cheap, I'd go for it. Try not to check baggage in GB so you dont have to worry about it not making the transfer.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM

905 posts, read 3,068,567 times
Have you purchased your ticket yet? If so, do not miss the Greensboro flight or you will have problems if you show up in Charlotte for the 2nd leg.

If you have not bought your ticket I would fly from CLT. 47 minutes is a little close. My piece of mind would be worth the extra drive time.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go for the drive - much less stress, and I'm pretty sure my car seat will be more comfortable than the puddle jumper seat! Plus I can listen to music and dose up on caffeine on the way!

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,881,531 times
Remote parking at the airport is $3 a day so a lot cheaper than most airports.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,206,000 times
A 47 minute lay over will not cut anything close! First, the airline will switch your baggage. You do not touch it at all. You honestly have nothing to do in that 47 minutes but walk off the plane, wait and walk on the next plane. If/when I have a choice, I try to make my layover 25-30 minutes, only that long in case of bad weather!
But, honestly, if flying out of Greensboro only costs like $50 extra, I'd go for it. Anything more than that, just drive. The drive isn't that bad. I leave from work in Rowan County most of the times that I fly. Even at 5:00 rush hour, it's never taken me more than 50 minutes.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,458,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
A 47 minute lay over will not cut anything close!
Who is this airline that you speak of that always departs on-time? I must try 'em out....

adlnc07> I'm sure flights to Jamaica don't exactly operate every hour, so it's not worth the risk with that short a connection time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or