Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Compensation is ultimately tied to value creation. (read: value, not revenue)

Any job that pays an employee more per hour than the value they create per hour is a temporary situation. It simply can't last.

I believe it is possible for a crew of fast food workers to each create more than $15/hour during 2 or 3 hours of peak business per day, but there's no way they are creating anywhere near that much value the rest of the day. Hours would have to be cut during non-peak times, so fewer people would end up working fewer hours.
There are not a lot of fast food workers who do work 40 hours a week because during non-peak hours the manager's job is to cut labor. So again, while companies like McDonalds rake in BILLIONS of dollars a month they still cut the lowly employee's hours and dollars if business dictates.

Here's the thing, I'm fine and dandy with worrying about cutting corporate costs in a fair model, but we do not live in a fair model.

I just think it's funny, people complain all the time about "lazy people looking for handouts" on welfare. Well a lot of people on welfare do work for fast food joints, they don't make enough money to live or support their families so they turn to welfare. What's being proposed here is since no one can argue that this country has done away with many of it's jobs, and since no one can argue that we are becoming overpopulated, and since no one can argue that it's WAY more expensive to live in the US than it probably should be, that we level out the playing field a little bit. Make "these people" less dependent on welfare and able to go out and make some sort of living for themselves.

But, nah, forget it. Let's just keep things the way they are. Things are going swimmingly, right? How great is it for us to go to a Fast Food Joint and look some lowly peon in the face and say "Hey! You make that food exactly that way or I'm sending it back" knowing that they are making peanuts on their paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:05 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldway View Post
Again not the workers fault. Try complaining to the marketing division's executive for false advertising.
NO NO NO!!! Those marketing execs make far too much money. Let them do their thing. Complain to the people barely getting by. That's the right thing to do, though sometimes I wonder how much extra sauce the complainers are getting in their food?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
There are not a lot of fast food workers who do work 40 hours a week because during non-peak hours the manager's job is to cut labor. So again, while companies like McDonalds rake in BILLIONS of dollars a month they still cut the lowly employee's hours and dollars if business dictates.

Here's the thing, I'm fine and dandy with worrying about cutting corporate costs in a fair model, but we do not live in a fair model.

I just think it's funny, people complain all the time about "lazy people looking for handouts" on welfare. Well a lot of people on welfare do work for fast food joints, they don't make enough money to live or support their families so they turn to welfare. What's being proposed here is since no one can argue that this country has done away with many of it's jobs, and since no one can argue that we are becoming overpopulated, and since no one can argue that it's WAY more expensive to live in the US than it probably should be, that we level out the playing field a little bit. Make "these people" less dependent on welfare and able to go out and make some sort of living for themselves.

But, nah, forget it. Let's just keep things the way they are. Things are going swimmingly, right? How great is it for us to go to a Fast Food Joint and look some lowly peon in the face and say "Hey! You make that food exactly that way or I'm sending it back" knowing that they are making peanuts on their paycheck.
SMH do you really believe the stuff you write? BTW I'm still waiting for you to explain your formula from yesterday.

Now you keep quoting billions a month. Have you looked up their financials? I have I own stock in them. Revenue of 27.5 billion. Their net income though is only 5.46 billion. You know that is only 150k per store. Start paying people 15 bucks an hr and a value meal is going to be at least 12 dollars each, because that 150k number isn't going to change.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
That's what your home kitchen is for....you can't be serious.
My home kitchen is there to recreate the food that I pay others to make for me,
"as seen on TV"? Why is it an unrealistic expectation that food I saw in an ad is the same as what is in the bag that was lobbed out of the drive thru wndow?

If you saw an ad for a car, but when you went to buy it you saw it had two flat tires, the paint was scratched, and was only running on 7 of 8 cylinders, would you be OK with paying the full price for it?

We've come to expect too little of people and businesses, and accept mediocrity as the norm.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM

398 posts, read 984,434 times
Such is the case with greed in the capitalistic market that everyone is hell bent upon making more money and may not be as keen about social improvement/profit. I'm not advocating that the fast food workers definitely deserve the raise, but to shoot them down as 'this is what they deserve' is not right. At the very least, the minimum wage should partly account for inflation over the years.

If someone works for $15/hr for 40 hours a week, then he/she makes approx. $28,800 gross. At approx. 60 hours per week, its approx. $40,000 per year.

Can't fathom how one could raise a family on that wage yearly.

On a lighter front, its good for everyone to get away from fast foot places anyways. Value meal? Yuck!

Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
My home kitchen is there to recreate the food that I pay others to make for me,
"as seen on TV"? Why is it an unrealistic expectation that food I saw in an ad is the same as what is in the bag that was lobbed out of the drive thru wndow?

If you saw an ad for a car, but when you went to buy it you saw it had two flat tires, the paint was scratched, and was only running on 7 of 8 cylinders, would you be OK with paying the full price for it?

We've come to expect too little of people and businesses, and accept mediocrity as the norm.
Do you really believe that fast food is going to look like the poster? Buying a car is one thing and buying a $2 burger from McDonalds is another. Are you familiar with concept of quality versus quantity? Plenty of other options to spend more money and get a better product.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM

9 posts, read 9,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
It appears you don't understand the concept of value creation. Sadly, this is all too common and leads to some of the unsustainable proposals in this thread.
Creating food to eat is valuable. Isn't it? What do car workers and bankers create that is as valuable as that?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM

227 posts, read 392,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
At the very least, the minimum wage should partly account for inflation over the years.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not. Assuming you're serious, are you truly unaware that minimum wage has increased over the years? In 1996 it was $4.75/hour. In 2009 it was $7.25/hour. That's an increase of over 50% in 13 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davarius View Post
Creating food to eat is valuable. Isn't it? What do car workers and bankers create that is as valuable as that?
Wealth. I care about my retirement account more than I care about fast food.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM

310 posts, read 672,747 times
After reading through seven pages of this, one thought occurs to me, more so than anything else: It's 2013 and there are seriously people still in this world that actually believe people who choose to come home and smoke cannabis should have to work crap jobs and just accept a crappy life for simply making a choice about what they put in themselves.

You can respond with as much snark as you want. You can protest and puff your chest out about "drug users" all you want. At the end of the day, we as a people either believe in Freedom or we don't. It is clear from quite a few of the responses in this thread that a great deal of us truly don't. That's just sad.

Addictive, harmful, bad tasting, much more ripe for abuse drinks are on me tonight, fellas.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Do you really believe that fast food is going to look like the poster? Buying a car is one thing and buying a $2 burger from McDonalds is another. Are you familiar with concept of quality versus quantity? Plenty of other options to spend more money and get a better product.
Why should I not expect fast food to look like the ad? I don't understand why the expectations should be different. Both ads say "here is what our product looks like, so come get one just like it for yourself".

You're accepting repeated failure. I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
After reading through seven pages of this, one thought occurs to me, more so than anything else: It's 2013 and there are seriously people still in this world that actually believe people who choose to come home and smoke cannabis should have to work crap jobs and just accept a crappy life for simply making a choice about what they put in themselves.

You can respond with as much snark as you want. You can protest and puff your chest out about "drug users" all you want. At the end of the day, we as a people either believe in Freedom or we don't. It is clear from quite a few of the responses in this thread that a great deal of us truly don't. That's just sad.

Addictive, harmful, bad tasting, much more ripe for abuse drinks are on me tonight, fellas.
I didn't see a single post that said potheads should only have crappy jobs.

Legality aside, I feel people should have the right to do anything they want in private. But if one is a pothead, and says they want a higher minimum wage because what they earn can't support them, I have no pity for them. Same goes for smokers and people who drink daily. People are (somewhat) free to make choices, but some of those choices have conditions attached.

Speaking of Taco Bell...I just picked up a #6 combo. I let the cashier ask the questions, which I clearly answered. Service was efficient, friendly...and wrong. I asked for no ice in my drink, but received ice. She apologized and gave me another drink wth no ice. I was home in 4 minutes, but both of my chalupas were not much warmer than room temp. The taco filling (the stuff TB calls beef) was very hot. How does that happen? 1 order, three errors.

$15 an hour for that? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte