Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times

Advertisements

are trying to organize a union, and are asking for $15 an hour. I haven't seen the actual segment yet, but my view is that until I can get a correct entree, side, and a drink, in the appropriate containers, without drink on the outside of the container, in a reasonable timeframe, preferably while treating me as a human being, many of the fast food workers I've run across should be fired, not given a raise. I cannot remember the last time that everything was as it should have been, experience included.

Even if it happened all the time, is that worth $15 an hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
I wonder if they would get paid more, would they provide better service? (but not that much!)

I have seen both retail and fast food salaries and it's abysmal. Especially for the work they do. But I don't know about $15 an hour though!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:37 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
are trying to organize a union, and are asking for $15 an hour. I haven't seen the actual segment yet, but my view is that until I can get a correct entree, side, and a drink, in the appropriate containers, without drink on the outside of the container, in a reasonable timeframe, preferably while treating me as a human being, many of the fast food workers I've run across should be fired, not given a raise. I cannot remember the last time that everything was as it should have been, experience included.

Even if it happened all the time, is that worth $15 an hour?
Good, closing most fast food places it is good for all of us (health wise).
Although, I do see unemployment in the future of the newly unionized $15/hr union members...

People who ask for increased minimum wage should also realize that the only way for corporations to do it, it is to raise the cost of products sold. So guess who will end up with less money in the pocket...and/or no jobs...

Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I wonder if they would get paid more, would they provide better service? (but not that much!)

I have seen both retail and fast food salaries and it's abysmal. Especially for the work they do. But I don't know about $15 an hour though!
What jobs deserve less pay than fast food and retail?

It just occurred to me that both jobs are meant for younger people, not 40 year olds.

I was taught, mostly through negative example, that one should do the job they're paid for to the best of their ability. Too many people these days think they deserve more money in order for them to work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Good, closing most fast food places it is good for all of us (health wise).
Although, I do see unemployment in the future of the newly unionized $15/hr union members...

People who ask for increased minimum wage should also realize that the only way for corporations to do it, it is to raise the cost of products sold. So guess who will end up with less money in the pocket...and/or no jobs...
I can't imagine what a #3 combo at Wendy's would cost if their employees got a 70% raise.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What jobs deserve less pay than fast food and retail?

It just occurred to me that both jobs are meant for younger people, not 40 year olds.

I was taught, mostly through negative example, that one should do the job they're paid for to the best of their ability. Too many people these days think they deserve more money in order for them to work hard.
I never said any jobs should be less than fast food and retail. And I should have clarified, retail as in grocery. They get paid minimum and often work hard. I say often as you of course get the slackers. But there are quite a few that work very hard for very little pay but it's the only thing they can get in this market. And I don't know about your area but in my area during the day, it's all older people. Because they work so hard, they are often a bit bitter at the low pay and that's where customer service suffers. I don't condone it by any means but if they are paid a bit better, then there can be a case for them to provide better service. I feel like it's one of those, you get what you pay for type stuff. I don't expect customer service, and if I do get it, it's a bonus. But I don't expect it.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Stupid is as stupid does. Anyone who does a crappy job just because they feel they don't get paid enough doesn't deserve to get paid more in the hopes that their service will improve.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Stupid is as stupid does. Anyone who does a crappy job just because they feel they don't get paid enough doesn't deserve to get paid more in the hopes that their service will improve.
Not quite the logic I was using. More like if they are better paid positions, they can have higher expectation of the people who work in them. You get what you pay for.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
More power to them! If they can get $15 per hour, I'd bet the workforce in that field would be replaced in time by "go-getter's" that would do a much better job (in general).

Heck, I'd be tempted to take a big paycut and working in fast food industry so I could shirk the pressure and responsibility my career.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I never said any jobs should be less than fast food and retail. And I should have clarified, retail as in grocery. They get paid minimum and often work hard. I say often as you of course get the slackers. But there are quite a few that work very hard for very little pay but it's the only thing they can get in this market. And I don't know about your area but in my area during the day, it's all older people. Because they work so hard, they are often a bit bitter at the low pay and that's where customer service suffers. I don't condone it by any means but if they are paid a bit better, then there can be a case for them to provide better service. I feel like it's one of those, you get what you pay for type stuff. I don't expect customer service, and if I do get it, it's a bonus. But I don't expect it.
My point is that there needs to be at bottom standard for what people get paid. The lowest paying jobs should get minimum wage, and everything else should go up from there. So if retail and fast food are the lowest paying jobs (I'm not saying they are or should be, but they are definitely down there somewhere) then they should get minimum wage pay. Other workers should get more. The bar shouldn't start at $15 an hour.

You should expect good service, because that is what they signed on to do.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
What many people don't realize is that some jobs are meant to be low paying jobs. Every job can't pay $15 an hour.

It would be better if fast food/retail jobs stay at minimum wage and those that want $15 an hour go on and pursue a different career. Management already expects a high turnover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte