Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times

Advertisements

Within the next two months, I should be moving to Charlotte from Upstate New York. I'm in the dining industry and my restaurant will be located in Tyvola around South Blvd. I would like to know of apartment communities within the South Blvd corridor, and also Tyvola, east of 77. I'm in a small town currently, but I am an urbanist at heart, so the closest to Uptown, the better. And places within a reasonable walking distance to a Lynx train station. I loved riding the Metro in DC...

My ideal price range would be where I'm at now ($660 or less for two bedroom), but this is flexible. I want to live in a nice, relatively urban area, and can afford up to 800-900 dollar range. Two bedroom is ideal, however, it is just me, no lady/no kids, and I have lived in a flat and a studio before. Not to be difficult, but if you can direct me to two br apts in a nice setting thats less than my max (8-900), I want the best of both worlds! Lol...

I should also give a little background: I'm 24 years old, and not much into clubs and parties. However, I am into artistic atmosphere and love live music, art shows, cafes/fine dining/outside dining. I love basketball/football/hockey and tennis, and like playing basketball and lifting weights recreationally. I am not a Panthers fan, but living in Charlotte would give me an oppurtunity to attend an NFL game. I have been to several NBA games and I enjoy that atmosphere, and am geeked the Hornets are coming back and am a new fan! You all dont have the pro hockey like the Sabres in Buffalo, but what are Checkers games like? Minor league hockey is big and well attended in New York, with very lively crowds. Also, I like attending live tennis matches... I love high end shopping/retail and gallerias, going to the movies (opening weekends!) , and just urban life in general. Oh--and I love women, all colors and types. I am neither bashful nor discriminatory, and have been with black, white, and hispanic and asians, in the most general sense. So naturally, I want to be somewhere with access to the areas the beautiful women in Charlotte frequent most. I find myself more and more wanting to settle down with someone, but until then I'm comfortable playing the field and casually dating....

Lastly, I am a former resident of Fayetteville and have been to Charlotte twice. To this point, Charlotte isn't very high on my list of places I've been to, and I find it a little underwhelming for a large city. Many parts of Charlotte look and feel like Fayetteville, just multiplied in population. It wasnt necessarily a bad thing, bu t again, asan urbanist, it wasnt exactly as thrilling as I'd expected or ad compared to other cities I've been to. And when I was there, I went to JCSU campus (my brother works at FSU and went with him), Epicentre, ate in NoDa, toured the South End and University City. However, both my trips to. Charlotte were only day trips and o fully understand that I have limited knowledge on what the city has to offer. Plus, I am looking forward to moving back south. My parents and brother are still in Fayetteville, although my parents are preparing to move within six months as well, to Memphis. Although I doubt Charlotte is a long term home for me, I enjoyed myself each time....

Any useful feedback and advice on apartments and life in Charlotte in general are being thanked in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 AM

No suggestions at all?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
Try "The Villages (http://www.thevillagesapartments.com/)". My parents live there, seems basically nice. Your price point for a 2BR rental is a bit low.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
The price you want to pay with the area is low. I can't think of any for that area in that price range. You might want to consider a roommate situation. Check out the roommates section of Craigslist. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Aren't you concerned that if you don't like the city that you are going to be moving to, that you will ultimately find yourself disappointed with the end result? If you are going to move somewhere, it should be somewhere that appeals to you. Where in Central New York are you coming from? There's not much in the way of highly urban areas besides Syracuse, which really isn't all that great.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
High end shopping is in South Charlotte... that's about all I can help you with.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I was trippin on the two bedroom price range. I listed that as my criteria because I have an old friend who lives in Durham currently, and used to live in Charlotte. He told me he had a two br for $565 when he was there--but he also said he was in a non-desirable area. I want to live Uptown or South End near Uptown (relatively speaking), so "non desirable" locations are out of the question. So I agree I was low on the 2 br end...

However, I've come back with about 12 listings so far all over Charlotte, with about six I'm really interested in. I've lowered my criteria to one bedroom but same price range, for a more "bang-for-my-buck" experience, in good proximity to the amenities I desire. I'm feeling good so far, but as I'm about two months away, I wont rush into a decision...

@topchief, I'm coming from Elmira,, a complete dump of a town. I'll disagree with you on how great Syracuse is/isn't, but true enough, its the closest semi-large urban area to here. Ithaca, however, is extremely urban in nature for its size. Its just tiny and very, very expensive...

I'm not worried about not liking Charlotte, because I know I will enjoy it. Its just not somewhere--as of now--that I plan on being long term. Ideally, I want to move back and settle in DC, or Richmond (where I'm from). But I'm young with a pretty high ceiling. I can get there; this is part of the process of me getting there. Plus, as I said, I'm ready to come back south. I ended up here on a whim, and have tired of the personality and weather quickly. I could see myself settling in Syracuse at some point, but again, right now, I'm ready to head back south...

Thanks to all for your input!

Old 08-30-2013, 03:45 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
If you can afford it I would suggest going back to Richmond because you really don't sound excited at all about moving to Charlotte. Why, at your stage of life, would you want to move somewhere that you are so luke warm about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte