U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 21,947 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte in the near future and I am looking for a townhouse/condo under $85,000. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2006, 03:35 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewls View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Charlotte in the near future and I am looking for a townhouse/condo under $85,000. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jewls, honestly, if you find a condo at that price it would be in an area I personally wouldn't live in. My best advice to you is this, don't try to live in Charlotte. These days if newcomers can't spend at least $150,000 on a home, Charlotte and Mecklenburg county are not a good choice for them.

You could try lookinging in Concord, maybe our friend CharlotteAgent will chime in and tell you about condo's there. Sorry to give you bad news.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:54 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,504 times
$85,000 would be tough. You could look into the HUD homes or maybe into some Foreclosures. There are some homes in and around the Huntersville area for around $100+ but you have to pull the trigger fast as they can get put under contract pretty quickly.

Let me know if there is a area in specific you are leaning towards.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM

259 posts, read 1,093,957 times
$85K could fetch a 2 bed townhome, maybe in the far east part of charlotte that wouldnt be a bad area. Anything south or north would be hard if not impossible. I looked at foreclosures in the 85K range and most everything was in East Charlotte, not the best but the further out you go (toward 485) the nicer it is, though that was homes and not townhouses. But nothing south of independance ever turned up in my search in that range, period.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,504 times
I looked on the MLS there are a few out there. Just depends where she would want to live.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 PM

164 posts, read 318,882 times
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but this is the second time I have read that east Charlotte is not desirable. Do you include Mint Hill in that assessment? We investigated some of east Charlotte and thought it looked nice. Mint Hill also seemed nice, with some truly lovely homes (i.e. Gold Wagon Rd), though more rural. Do you mean directly east? Because I was under the impression that both northeast and southeast Charlotte were quite nice and that schools were good (i.e. Bain). I realize that everyone has different taste, but would appreciate the input.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but this is the second time I have read that east Charlotte is not desirable. Do you include Mint Hill in that assessment? We investigated some of east Charlotte and thought it looked nice. Mint Hill also seemed nice, with some truly lovely homes (i.e. Gold Wagon Rd), though more rural. Do you mean directly east? Because I was under the impression that both northeast and southeast Charlotte were quite nice and that schools were good (i.e. Bain). I realize that everyone has different taste, but would appreciate the input.
Connie, east Charlotte does not include Mint Hill Mint Hill is a great little community. East Charlotte has a high percentage of section 8 housing which has brought particular problems to what used to be a nice part of town, unfortunately. Farmwood, where Gold Wagon Lane is, is a very nice, established neighborhood whose homes have large country lots. Bain Elementary is considered a Mint Hill school and has always had a GREAT reputation. The only thing I will caution you about is that the entrance to Farmwood on Margaret Wallace Rd is right at the border of where Charlotte ends and Mint Hill begins. Did you notice the apartment complex directly across from the entrance to Farmwood there? Those apartments have had some problems and I do worry that that part of the subdivision is a bit to close. But I haven't lived there is a few years, so check with the Mint Hill Police department and see what the current crime stats are okay? Did you go any deeper into Mint Hill down Hwy 51? There are really nice neighborhoods that I hope you also saw.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
$85,000 would be tough. You could look into the HUD homes or maybe into some Foreclosures. There are some homes in and around the Huntersville area for around $100+ but you have to pull the trigger fast as they can get put under contract pretty quickly.

Let me know if there is a area in specific you are leaning towards.
I've been looking at a Subdivision in area 3 called Stonington. I just don't know what that area is like.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewls View Post
I've been looking at a Subdivision in area 3 called Stonington. I just don't know what that area is like.
I think I know where you are talking about, but give me the closet major intersection or major road to it.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think I know where you are talking about, but give me the closet major intersection or major road to it.
Looks like the nearest major intersection is Albermarle Rd and Lawyers Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or