U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM

28 posts, read 48,030 times

Advertisements

We will be driving through the area and camping. I looked at Uwharrie but was hoping to get a little further towards Atlanta before stopping that night. We won't be staying long so all we really need is hot showers and pretty scenary. I don't like RV parks, even if it is just one night. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
If your ruling out Morrow Mountain, and probably best bet is head to Blacksburg SC to Kings Mountain State Park. Camping
However they require reservation and 2 night minimum.

If its overnight then I recommend the KOA campground in Gaffney. https://koa.com/campgrounds/spartanb...camping-sites/

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If your ruling out Morrow Mountain, and probably best bet is head to Blacksburg SC to Kings Mountain State Park. Camping
However they require reservation and 2 night minimum.

If its overnight then I recommend the KOA campground in Gaffney. https://koa.com/campgrounds/spartanb...camping-sites/
That's pretty much it, except Hound's Campground in Kings Mountain. Home Page

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

409 posts, read 988,377 times
"Pretty scenery" might be hard to come by given the one night stay. Not sure about the KOA, but the Hounds in Kings Mountain isn't really scenic, it's basically RV camping in an open area with loud freight trains running nearby (but very convenient to your route).

SC has some great state parks but fairly sure all have the two night minimum. You might have better luck looking for county parks along your route that have camping, maybe they don't have the two night minimum.

In Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), McDowell Park has camping, decent scenery, but not sure about availability and minimums.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/coun...s/camping.aspx

If you are willing to go off the beaten path a little, the upstate of SC has some beautiful spots. It's definitely a little out of your way, but SC 11 (Cherokee Foothills Scenic highway) is a great drive and probably would take you past many county or private campgrounds that are nice.

Oconee CVB Jocassee Gorges Lakes Mountains Rivers and Waterfalls

Last edited by Comfort Food; 09-03-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
"Pretty scenery" might be hard to come by given the one night stay. Not sure about the KOA, but the Hounds in Kings Mountain isn't really scenic, it's basically RV camping in an open area with loud freight trains running nearby (but very convenient to your route).

SC has some great state parks but fairly sure all have the two night minimum. You might have better luck looking for county parks along your route that have camping, maybe they don't have the two night minimum.

In Mecklenburg County (Charlotte), McDowell Park has camping, decent scenery, but not sure about availability and minimums.

Camping

If you are willing to go off the beaten path a little, the upstate of SC has some beautiful spots. It's definitely a little out of your way, but SC 11 (Cherokee Foothills Scenic highway) is a great drive and probably would take you past many county or private campgrounds that are nice.

Oconee CVB Jocassee Gorges Lakes Mountains Rivers and Waterfalls
Quite true. . .but they have the bathing requirement. Camping is allowed at Moss Lake which would beat the Hounds for scenic, but it's rustic & no bathing facilities & not as convenient to the route.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpt21 View Post
We will be driving through the area and camping. I looked at Uwharrie but was hoping to get a little further towards Atlanta before stopping that night. We won't be staying long so all we really need is hot showers and pretty scenary. I don't like RV parks, even if it is just one night. Thanks!
Use the following site: Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica

You can search all different ways to cater to your requirements. I book all my camping through this site and never have had a problem.

They also have an mobile app so you can look for a spot while on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or