Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,525,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
Ipsos' Top Cities 2013

Ipsos-Mori, a London based firm, surveyed people from five continents as to the world's greatest cities. NY, Paris, and London were voted the world's best. L.A. and D.C. were the only other US cities among the top 20.

I think that Charlotte needs to advertise internationally to raise its profile. What does NY have that we don't?

We have:

1. world class shopping in South Park and North Lake;
2. World class museums;
3. World class dining (e.g., Merts, 131 Main, and Firebirds); and
4. An international finance center.

Unlike NY, we have friendly people, awesome schools, and great weather. Many people in NY pay $40k/yr for private elementary and high school schools that probably aren't even as good as Hawk Ridge.

Perhaps if the Chamber of Commerce advertised Charlotte in Europe, Asia, and Latin America, we would get visitors from those places.

Also, NY is building scores of 50 stores+ towers right now that is fueled, in part, by foreigners' purchases of second homes. If Charlotte attracts those visitors and they see how awesome it is, we could suddenly have 30 fifty story+ towers under construction in Uptown, and our skyline would grow by a factor of 10.

What do y'all think?

By the way, I hope that y'all had a happy Rosh Hoshanah!
Hmm, can you actually not like a "world's best city"? I've been to all the cities on the list, to visit it's nice, to live - not so much. I can't stand the fact that in London and NY, taxes and traffic have made it cost-prohibitive to have a car there. London even more so where it's a form of social control to tax drivers so much that they don't want to drive in London. Anyway that is a peeve of mine. NYs infastructure IMO is horrible and embarrasing. For the amount of money and wealth there it hasn't really changed in 50 years - I am speaking primarily of the transit system. I spent a lot of time there in the last two years and with this summers heat, I finally knew what it must be like be completely in a conventional oven waiting for a train.

I know lots of Europeans who look at the Carolinas as great - from a natural beauty and friendliness point of view (and I agree). There's "just enough" to do that you're not bored. Anyway NY is less that a 2 hr plane ride so I can get that uber big city experience pretty much on demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,651,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What is Harrod's?
A pizzeria. You know,pizza joints are usually the hot topic on all CD forums.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:14 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,618,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Subways in NYC have their characters. Most people don't bat an eye. Just another day on the J Train. No big deal.

Bum enters light rail in Charlotte. Asks for any change. Says "god bless". Leaves 2 stops later. Complete strangers talk about weirdo as soon as he exits, and how crazy that was.

Small example of many I've noticed over the years.

Others may have a different POV. That's cool, too.
That has nothing do with not minding your own business.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM

489 posts, read 906,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That has nothing do with not minding your own business.
Is this sentence a riddle?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM

373 posts, read 775,695 times
The best thing about Charlotte is what we are, not what we are not.
I'll take Charlotte any day over NY City as a place to live.
I'll take the state of NC any day over NY state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
In response to the original poster. Obviously you are not a world traveler. You state World class dining? The dining in Charlotte is OK, not bad, but NOT WORLD CLASS.
You have clearly never gone to Mr K's on South Blvd for some World Class Hamburgers, Corn Dogs, Ice cream dipped in chocolate on a cone, and fountain drinks.

Last edited by cheesecracker; 09-07-2013 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,618,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Is this sentence a riddle?
No.

Your example didn't support your statement whatsoever.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 AM

53 posts, read 96,237 times
This new 1,050 foot tower was built with foreign capital, and most of the units, with prices reaching $10k/sf, were bought by foreigners. There currently are nine more towers between 1,000' and 1,400 under construction or about to start in NYC, including the second one posted below. The two penthouses in the first tower both sold for over $90m.

If we could attract that foreign money by an overseas advertising campaign, we could transform our skyline from having only four or five towers taller than 500 feet to over 100! This is especially true, since, unlike paying $10k/sf in NY or London, a similar unit in Charlotte would cost only $100/sf. Foreigners would readily pay 1/100th of the prices in NY, London, or HK. We need to let the world know that Charlotte has arrived!

Last edited by ShlomoLowenstein; 09-08-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 AM

701 posts, read 1,423,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
This new 1,050 foot tower was built with foreign capital, and most of the units, with prices reaching $10k/sf, were bought by foreigners. There currently are nine more towers between 1,000' and 1,400 under construction or about to start in NYC, including the second one posted below. The two penthouses in the first tower both sold for over $90m.

If we could attract that foreign money by an overseas advertising campaign, we could transform our skyline from having only four or five towers taller than 500 feet to over 100! This is especially true, since, unlike paying $10k/sf in NY or London, a similar unit in Charlotte would cost only $100/sf. Foreigners would readily pay 1/100th of the prices in NY, London, or HK. We need to let the world know that Charlotte has arrived!
Seriously dude, you've beaten this joke into the ground.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM

642 posts, read 1,165,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Seriously dude, you've beaten this joke into the ground.
I agree. Yawn.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,176,070 times
If it brings with it the stench of New Yourk I hope never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte