U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,867,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
True, many large cities are not on the coast (Denver, anyone?)

That's not true. Stone Mountain, the Chattahoochee river and nature preserves, the downtown, midtown, and buckhead skylines, piedmont park, the atlanta botanical gardents, etc...

I haven't spent much time in Charlotte, so I cannot comment

I think that perhaps the poster was making reference to the ratio of bankers to workers in other industries. It is a valid point... how many tourists who visit NYC make it a point to rub elbows with the workers on Wall St?

Niether is most of the state/country/world. :-)

This is pretty subjective, but the poster has a better case than you do. How many carribbean parades, greekfests or japanese festivals does Charlotte hold every year? How many foreign consulates are there in Charlotte and how many international routes does the airport serve?
I was going to individually reply to each of these until I looked at your location. Head back down 85, you're lost and misinformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:35 AM

3,748 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshshope View Post
This guy again, huh?

Guy implies its an adult. Surely no adults (this isn't aimed at the OP; I general) go around bumbling on about whose world class and then clamors about for example Atlanta.

Atlanta & Charlotte mine as well be on the same scale when it comes to being "world class" when it comes to "world class cities". Neither city comes remotely close to the status of "world class cities". At all. And neither will for a very very very long time and probably never will. Pick a real world class city to compare Charlotte's "world class" ambitions such as Dubai, Rome, Beijing, Athens, Rio De Janeiro, etc. and not the US 3rd tier regional capital of Alabama, Georgia, Louisianna, South Carolina, & Mississippi. It gets really old after a while being compared to Atlanta constantly...

So to answer the question of this thread; Never

Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM

29,719 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Guy implies its an adult. Surely no adults (this isn't aimed at the OP; I general) go around bumbling on about whose world class and then clamors about for example Atlanta.

Atlanta & Charlotte mine as well be on the same scale when it comes to being "world class" when it comes to "world class cities". Neither city comes remotely close to the status of "world class cities". At all. And neither will for a very very very long time and probably never will. Pick a real world class city to compare Charlotte's "world class" ambitions such as Dubai, Rome, Beijing, Athens, Rio De Janeiro, etc. and not the US 3rd tier regional capital of Alabama, Georgia, Louisianna, South Carolina, & Mississippi. It gets really old after a while being compared to Atlanta constantly...

So to answer the question of this thread; Never
Dubai, world class? Just because oil money turned it into the world's greatest display of excess within a decade?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,867,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dubai, world class? Just because oil money turned it into the world's greatest display of excess within a decade?
And that oil will eventually run out. These mega-projects they've been trying to build are failing.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:49 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
Before we go all crazy about Charlotte's future direction; let's take a look at what Charlotte has done over the past 40 years. The following is a 1973 aerial pic of uptown. Notice the church on Church Street surrounded by trees...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...rlotte1973.jpg

The following is a more recent aerial of uptown Charlotte taken from a similar angle. The church surrounded by trees can be seen in this pic as well...

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/img...82192415-5.jpg

In 1973, metro Charlotte's population was close to 400k; today it is 2.3 million. That's quite a bit of growth in only 40 years. It's hard to tell what the next 20 years will bring, but Charlotte seems to be building/planning for more people.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,133,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Before we go all crazy about Charlotte's future direction; let's take a look at what Charlotte has done over the past 40 years. The following is a 1973 aerial pic of uptown. Notice the church on Church Street surrounded by trees...

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...rlotte1973.jpg

The following is a more recent aerial of uptown Charlotte taken from a similar angle. The church surrounded by trees can be seen in this pic as well...

http://photos.clearskyimages.com/img...82192415-5.jpg

In 1973, metro Charlotte's population was close to 400k; today it is 2.3 million. That's quite a bit of growth in only 40 years. It's hard to tell what the next 20 years will bring, but Charlotte seems to be building/planning for more people.
Uptown is a sparkling jewel with all the new towers. But it is astounding the number of older buildings didn't make the cut and got forklifted or modified. Especially those that provided human-scale continuity along Tryon St (Charlotte's version of Greensboro's Elm St)...oh well, on to the future. This notion of "world class" doesn't necessarily mean better quality of life in my opinion. I'd rather live in several mid-size American cities including Charlotte than some of those cities labeled world class.

Cultural pluses aside, so-called world class cities are great for touring and including photos in the personal brag book. San Francisco is a great city and world class if you will. However, I don't think it will personally elevate one's quality of life...World class cities have poor people too who would give an arm/leg to live an upscale life in a non-world class city.

Charlotte isn't ever gonna reach world city status...neither will St. Louis, Cincinnatti, Indianapolis, Nashville, etc., etc.. but who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or