Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times

Advertisements

If Charlotte becomes like NYC, I'll move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
When will Charlotte enter the "world's best cities" league?

When the COL is far greater than the median household income. So it seems, most "World Class Cities" have that problem. The few that don't have major crime issues instead.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
With the slew of incorrectness in your OP, the only thing I feel that I need to correct you on, is that people in NYC are actually very friendly. There is a difference between being polite and being friendly. People from NYC typically mind their own business. People of Charlotte and other southern areas, do not. Manners.

Oh, and we won't be a world class city until long after we are all dead.
What does that mean?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What does that mean?
Subways in NYC have their characters. Most people don't bat an eye. Just another day on the J Train. No big deal.

Bum enters light rail in Charlotte. Asks for any change. Says "god bless". Leaves 2 stops later. Complete strangers talk about weirdo as soon as he exits, and how crazy that was.

Small example of many I've noticed over the years.

Others may have a different POV. That's cool, too.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM

53 posts, read 96,458 times
According to this article, NY has surged well ahead of London and Tokyo (the 2d and 3rd cities) for foreign real estate investment.

If we could advertise Charlotte's greatness, we could attract this foreign investment and go from having 3 skyscrapers of 600'+ to well over over a hundred, like NY.

Foreign Investors NYC Real Estate | Zhang Xin SOHO

Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
According to this article, NY has surged well ahead of London and Tokyo (the 2d and 3rd cities) for foreign real estate investment.

If we could advertise Charlotte's greatness, we could attract this foreign investment and go from having 3 skyscrapers of 600'+ to well over over a hundred, like NY.

Foreign Investors NYC Real Estate | Zhang Xin SOHO
I don't see anything offensive in what you're saying at all, I think all of this will come in time, hopefully in my lifetime!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:50 PM

53 posts, read 96,458 times
Thanks, sir. I don't know why anyone would be offended. We're speaking as a community about the best interests of the Queen City.

I want to see Charlotte's skyline look lie this:

Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
Thanks, sir. I don't know why anyone would be offended. We're speaking as a community about the best interests of the Queen City.

I want to see Charlotte's skyline look lie this:
Lol, no city in America will ever come close to being an urban jungle like NYC which isn't a bad thing. The south doesn't do old school urban on a large scale which isn't a bad thing either. If you want to live in city that looks and feels like NYC...well, move to NYC city.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 AM

162 posts, read 240,001 times
In response to the original poster. Obviously you are not a world traveler. You state Charlotte has world class shopping and then refer to two malls. Malls have chain stores, that does not resonate as "world class shopping". Next you state world class museums, Charlotte has world class museums? What are their names and where are they located? I can make a list longer than my arm naming "world class" museums that are located in NYC. World class dining? The dining in Charlotte is OK, not bad, but NOT WORLD CLASS. An international finance center? This is a joke correct? Ever hear of Wall Street? You also state private schools in NY cost $40,000 per year. WRONG! Actually private Catholic Schools in NYC are approx. $8,000 per year, well below the price one pays for the "DAY" schools of Charlotte! People who live in a "world class city" know it, and so do the people who visit such city. They don't have to advertise "we are a world class city". What does NY have that Charlotte does not. Broadway, Garment Center, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, TRIBECA, Greenwich Village, Media capital of the World, Home Office of EVERY MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE, United Nations, 5th Avenue, Park Avenue, Madison Avenue, The Cloisters, Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Times Square, Canal street Shopping, Brooklyn Bridge, NY Philharmonic, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Museum of Natural History, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim Museum, Trinity Church, Battery Park, Off Broadway Plays, Radio City Music Hall...and the list goes on and on and on.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
In response to the original poster. Obviously you are not a world traveler. You state Charlotte has world class shopping and then refer to two malls. Malls have chain stores, that does not resonate as "world class shopping". Next you state world class museums, Charlotte has world class museums? What are their names and where are they located? I can make a list longer than my arm naming "world class" museums that are located in NYC. World class dining? The dining in Charlotte is OK, not bad, but NOT WORLD CLASS. An international finance center? This is a joke correct? Ever hear of Wall Street? You also state private schools in NY cost $40,000 per year. WRONG! Actually private Catholic Schools in NYC are approx. $8,000 per year, well below the price one pays for the "DAY" schools of Charlotte! People who live in a "world class city" know it, and so do the people who visit such city. They don't have to advertise "we are a world class city". What does NY have that Charlotte does not. Broadway, Garment Center, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, TRIBECA, Greenwich Village, Media capital of the World, Home Office of EVERY MAJOR SPORTS LEAGUE, United Nations, 5th Avenue, Park Avenue, Madison Avenue, The Cloisters, Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Times Square, Canal street Shopping, Brooklyn Bridge, NY Philharmonic, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Madison Square Garden, Museum of Natural History, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim Museum, Trinity Church, Battery Park, Off Broadway Plays, Radio City Music Hall...and the list goes on and on and on.
Thanks for everything we already knew! Bring an additional 17 million people to Charlotte, then make your very apparent listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte