Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
This new 1,050 foot tower was built with foreign capital, and most of the units, with prices reaching $10k/sf, were bought by foreigners. There currently are nine more towers between 1,000' and 1,400 under construction or about to start in NYC, including the second one posted below. The two penthouses in the first tower both sold for over $90m.

If we could attract that foreign money by an overseas advertising campaign, we could transform our skyline from having only four or five towers taller than 500 feet to over 100! This is especially true, since, unlike paying $10k/sf in NY or London, a similar unit in Charlotte would cost only $100/sf. Foreigners would readily pay 1/100th of the prices in NY, London, or HK. We need to let the world know that Charlotte has arrived!

You are alright with me Shlomo, can't rep you enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:06 PM

53 posts, read 96,458 times
Thanks, PRW. I don't see what's wrong about thinking big.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlomoLowenstein View Post
Thanks, PRW. I don't see what's wrong about thinking big.
Agreed, if you think small, you are going to remain small, gotta go for the gusto!

Old 09-08-2013, 07:20 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No.

Your example didn't support your statement whatsoever.
Nah bruh bruh, your sentence didn't make sense.

To me, gossiping is a form of not minding your own business. You're not butting into someone's conversation, but you're also not keeping your thoughts to yourself. If you disagree, you're probably a teenage girl.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:04 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
What makes a world class city is trade, and the ability to move goods and people. Look at NYC JFK, London Heathrow, and Tokyo's Narita and Haneda international route structure. Charlotte should simply push for more international route service. However with the exception of Tokyo, most world cities have been around forever, and have had ample time to develop.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
What makes a world class city is trade, and the ability to move goods and people. Look at NYC JFK, London Heathrow, and Tokyo's Narita and Haneda international route structure. Charlotte should simply push for more international route service. However with the exception of Tokyo, most world cities have been around forever, and have had ample time to develop.
Your comment makes a lot of sense, you got some rep points from me!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Talbott View Post
Nah bruh bruh, your sentence didn't make sense.

To me, gossiping is a form of not minding your own business. You're not butting into someone's conversation, but you're also not keeping your thoughts to yourself. If you disagree, you're probably a teenage girl.
My sentence made plenty sense, but with the logic you're using here, I can see why you didn't quite get it.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. I disagree and I'm not a teenage girl--not even close.

Prying and being nosey constitutes "not minding your business"--not starting a conversation with someone you're sitting next to on the train who witnessed the same incident that you just did.

Oh yeah, I'm not your "bruh bruh" either. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
true.. there is no way Charlotte can be a SF or an NYC due to their history of being port towns for international trade and welcome mats for immigrants.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
true.. there is no way Charlotte can be a SF or an NYC due to their history of being port towns for international trade and welcome mats for immigrants.
They can have "world" class for all I care. I've done enough time in "world" class places and happy to settle for Charlotte class. Not a knock on those cities, absolutely great places to live, work, etc if that's your thing. Charlotte will never be those places...which is good, every place has it's relevance and home in the city hierarchy. I like visiting NYC...note visiting.

Charlotte needs to keep progressing and improving quality of life, other goods things will follow.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:26 AM

119 posts, read 160,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm, can you actually not like a "world's best city"? I've been to all the cities on the list, to visit it's nice, to live - not so much. I can't stand the fact that in London and NY, taxes and traffic have made it cost-prohibitive to have a car there. London even more so where it's a form of social control to tax drivers so much that they don't want to drive in London. Anyway that is a peeve of mine. NYs infastructure IMO is horrible and embarrasing. For the amount of money and wealth there it hasn't really changed in 50 years - I am speaking primarily of the transit system. I spent a lot of time there in the last two years and with this summers heat, I finally knew what it must be like be completely in a conventional oven waiting for a train.

I know lots of Europeans who look at the Carolinas as great - from a natural beauty and friendliness point of view (and I agree). There's "just enough" to do that you're not bored. Anyway NY is less that a 2 hr plane ride so I can get that uber big city experience pretty much on demand.
Wow! isn't that the truth! I went back to NY for to visit a few years ago. I hadn't been back since I left in 1988. I could not believe the roads were the same as years ago. They are the worst!! I guess we are spoiled here in Phoenix. I'd like to see Charlotte starting working on expanding the 77.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte