Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So how exactly have you "dealt with" them?
I manage a restaurant that will remain nameless.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I hope he stays. I think he has earned one more year. He is a class act as a person. This thread is about Cam though. I've met him now on numerous occasions and the kid is a pompous ass. I can't root for him. Great talent but got tons of issues.
How do we know you aren't a jerk or a pompous ass? You met him in a restaurant and deduced this? Only a "jerk" would make such an assertion without spending significant time with a person. You don't KNOW him. I've always wondered how people come to certain conclusions about others based on hearsay and a few encounters. Did he not shake your hand? Did he leave without tipping or God forbid left a 12% tip versus the going rate of 15%?

Let's hear your story or tales about big bad Cam.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 01-05-2013 at 03:52 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
I would venture a guess that over 50% of professional athletes are "pompous asses." Bottom line is Cam is in the top half of QB's in the league with room to improve and there isn't anyone the Panthers can realistically get that is better so they'd be smart to stick with him.

As for Rivera, if I had to guess I would say he stays. They seem to be taking their sweet time finding a GM so by the time that happens they'd only be left with the leftovers from all the other teams anyway. Some would probably argue that was going to be the case either way but the Panthers job would probably be just as good as Buffalo/Cleveland/Arizona.
Not pompous asses but guarded. We tend to forget the human side of pro athletes meaning they have good days and bad days liike everybody else and it's difficult to stay in NICE mode 24/7. Some could careless about notoriety and fame thus get labeled as arrogant or pompous for not being people people.

I know a few pro athletes (mostly retired) and deal with them in certain settings and they're still extremely protective and guarded because everybody WANTS something from them - time, money, etc.

I don't think the jerk/nice guy ratio is any different in pro world than in general society, just guarded as I stated previously and always in protection mode. I don't know Cam, he could be a jerk, he might be a super nice guy....he seems nice enough on the surface.

Anyway, they shouldn't fire Rivera and keep the entire coaching staff. They should keep DeAngelo for one more year if possible or draft a RB (mayb the kid from UNC, Giovonni), WR, address Oline and defense. I think the draft is gonna be defensive player heavy.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
How do we know you aren't a jerk or a pompous ass? You met him in a restaurant and deduced this? Only a "jerk" would make such an assertion without spending significant time with a person. You don't KNOW him. I've always wondered how people come to certain conclusions about others based on hearsay and a few encounters. Did he not shake your hand? Did he leave without tipping or God forbid left a 12% tip versus the going rate of 15%?

Let's hear your story or tales about big bad Cam.
I'm not getting into specifics it doesn't matter. He frequents our establishment regularly, as do many other bobcats and panthers. As I said I've dealt with well over 100 athletes. It could be over 200. I seriously don't keep count. Its no big deal to me. At the very least he is very immature. At the worst he is a pompous p***K. We will keep taking care of him, and providing him a great experience. We deal with pompous people on a nightly basis its no big deal. We will gladly keep taking his money.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
It's no big deal but because of these interactions you won't root for him? Doesn't seem like no big deal to me...

And again, he is only 23 years old. No not everyone is a pompous ass when they're 23 but give him a chance to mature a bit. Sure, it would be great if he was spending his weekends at the soup kitchen, but as Felt said, his job is to play football and he's pretty good at it. And as the title of the thread says, Charlotte needs Cam and Cam has been good for the city already and will most likely be even better for it in the future. If he helps the Panthers keep improving then maybe they'll attract some more players with a lot of money to spend at your restaurant.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
It's no big deal but because of these interactions you won't root for him? Doesn't seem like no big deal to me...

And again, he is only 23 years old. No not everyone is a pompous ass when they're 23 but give him a chance to mature a bit. Sure, it would be great if he was spending his weekends at the soup kitchen, but as Felt said, his job is to play football and he's pretty good at it. And as the title of the thread says, Charlotte needs Cam and Cam has been good for the city already and will most likely be even better for it in the future. If he helps the Panthers keep improving then maybe they'll attract some more players with a lot of money to spend at your restaurant.

Ah we had lots of panthers that spent money. Then Richardson got rid of them all. lol and again it is no big deal. I could care if your a jerk when you come in or not. If you are I'm not going to root for you. If your a ceo or a higher up of a company I won't use your product or service if your a jerk. On the flip side Robert Niblock couldn't be a nicer guy, and as such I won't step foot into a home depot. Does it matter no my rooting or money doesn't equate to a hill of beans, but its just what I do.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Ah we had lots of panthers that spent money. Then Richardson got rid of them all. lol and again it is no big deal. I could care if your a jerk when you come in or not. If you are I'm not going to root for you. If your a ceo or a higher up of a company I won't use your product or service if your a jerk. On the flip side Robert Niblock couldn't be a nicer guy, and as such I won't step foot into a home depot. Does it matter no my rooting or money doesn't equate to a hill of beans, but its just what I do.
Fair enough. As to your first point, what actual stars have the Panthers had besides Smith and Peppers? (I wouldn't call DeAngelo a star, more of a guy who had one career year...Stephen Davis had a better career and most wouldn't call him a star either)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. As to your first point, what actual stars have the Panthers had besides Smith and Peppers? (I wouldn't call DeAngelo a star, more of a guy who had one career year...Stephen Davis had a better career and most wouldn't call him a star either)
Well I never used the word stars. Just talking athletes, but your right those are really the only stars. I guess we could go way back, and say maybe Kevin Greene, and Reggie White. Peppers was a nice guy. Just very aloof and wanted to be left alone. I think Greg hardy has a chance to be a star in this league. HE is getting better, and has lots of personality. They need someone like that on that side of the ball.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
I manage a restaurant that will remain nameless.
Right on! It would take a person from Lalaland to not see that he is a pompus brat. I like people like DeAngelo and several others on the team that make us proud with their community involvement and team spirits. Not some rookie that has an attitude and the "God" complex. They are eventually humbled.

Honestly, we have evolved to a society where kindness and good acts mean very little. We put sports ahead of humanity.

Very sad situation. I would proudly patronize your restaurant.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM

You don't have to like the guy, but you should still want to see him/the Panthers succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte