U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Do you watch The Real House Wives of Orange County
I'm sorry, I find that show almost as disgusting as MTV's "Sweet Sixteen". The values people demonstrate on these shows just astound me.

Anyway, welcome to Charlotte OCtoCLT, I hope you feel at home in no time. Though missing the familiar is to be expected for a while, I hope not too long for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM

72 posts, read 97,299 times
I agree w/ amploud...
I think the only thing that Charlotte has to offer are the mtns. or the ocean!!
Catch my drift?! This is a small (provincial) town w/ not a lot of cultural offerings. You will notice that big venues will often skip this place. Good jazz and appearances by great jazz artists is nonexistent, for example. Charlotte is great if you like to attend kids soccer games, the mall, and going to restaurants. Even the restaurants are "fair to midland".
In the end, I do wish you well, OCtoCLT.

P.S. We are running out of water; and the heat of the summer is extending into the fall months, thereby encroaching on four seasons!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,918,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
I agree w/ amploud...
I think the only thing that Charlotte has to offer are the mtns. or the ocean!!
Catch my drift?! This is a small (provincial) town w/ not a lot of cultural offerings. You will notice that big venues will often skip this place. Good jazz and appearances by great jazz artists is nonexistent, for example. Charlotte is great if you like to attend kids soccer games, the mall, and going to restaurants. Even the restaurants are "fair to midland".
Um, ok...

Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,586,423 times
You can have Orange County, you can have SoCalif, we were very glad that we moved from Costa Mesa. The cost-of-living, the population and traffic (absolute nightmare). Moved from OC to Denver, CO area for 5 1/2 years then moved to here in Huntersville, NC. We are originally from Indiana (me) and Michigan (wife), so we knew what living in snow/winter was about. Only thing is, we got very tired of shoveling snow and driving in "white out" conditions. So far, Huntersville/NC is a very nice piece of cake for us.
One thing we will say however, if we were 20-30 years younger, we sure wouldn't choose either Denver, CO or Charlotte, NC to live in (or near).......just not enough "happening" things. Even with the problems I stated above about SoCalif, we would either live there or in Vegas. But, we are 58 and 59, so we just don't need/want that exciting "happening" stuff that much anymore.
We don't miss OC or SoCalif at all, but then that may because of our ages.
Good luck with your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Why are you leaving OC? I'd leave Charlotte for OC in a hearbeat if the cost of living wouldn't be such a shock!

Edit: Nevermind, I read the note about your hubby's job.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM

125 posts, read 341,826 times
OCtoCLT -Having relocated 15 times myself-although only 1 being as far way as to Houston, you will miss some things from where you are but I hope you'll find the positives here will soon overtake any qualms you may have right now.
BTW I PM'd you on 11-5.
Good Luck

Old 11-17-2007, 02:06 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,641,576 times
Quote:
One thing we will say however, if we were 20-30 years younger, we sure wouldn't choose either Denver, CO or Charlotte, NC to live in (or near).......just not enough "happening" things. Even with the problems I stated above about SoCalif, we would either live there or in Vegas. But, we are 58 and 59, so we just don't need/want that exciting "happening" stuff that much anymore.
We don't miss OC or SoCalif at all, but then that may because of our ages.
Good luck with your move.
I'm sorry to single out LovesBoating but in my experience this is not true. I've seen this stated a few times, mostly by people who didn't live in Charlotte when they were younger and/or single. I think it's just the case of knowing what's going on based on one's interests. For example I am single with no children. I couldn't tell you five events/happenings focused on families with young children. That dosen't mean they don't exist. There are a lot of things happening in and around Charlotte. There are concerts (large and small venues), bars/clubs, museums, sporting events, arts (dance, theater, music) events. There are many activity groups/events just for the 20 - 30 something crowd.

One example is Club Blume

Quote:
A new social club for young adults in their 20s and 30s sponsored by the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center through a generous grant from American Express. No dues! No officers! Just fun! CLUB BLUME members enjoy special offers like pre-show mixers, reserved seating with other young adults and other great perks.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:15 PM

422 posts, read 1,214,285 times
Its funny to hear someone say they are coming to Charlotte and worried about the cooler weather.... So hears another side to that story. I am from Boston, and I love Charlotte because the weather is so much nicer!!! hehe...

Ive always love the fall in New England but it seems like Charlottes fall lasts a little longer and comes a little later. The Charlotte Spring comes sooner and is a lot warmer! And yet you get to still see all of the blooming flowers! Summer- well, summer is a bit hot, but I dont mind it much anymore. I am used to it now. The summer time is when I go back to New England and enjoy the summers there. When I can, that is.... ;-)

I do not enjoy snow at all anymore, but if I get the urge to see some flakes, all you have to do is take a drive to the mountains.

Its really great. I think you will love it as much as I do!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 AM

21 posts, read 58,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I'm sorry to single out LovesBoating but in my experience this is not true. I've seen this stated a few times, mostly by people who didn't live in Charlotte when they were younger and/or single.
I second that! And I moved here from San Diego! Sure I miss some things (running along the beach every night, Pizza Port, driving down the coast in my convertible in January) but, in some ways, Charlotte is a better place for a 20-something like me. It's a lot easier to get around, there are more career opportunities here, I have more disposable income, and it's affordable to live downtown so I can go to bars, restaurants, theatre, etc. without driving (or drinking and driving) all over the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or