Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,503,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
Kinda like the whole Charlotte vs Raleigh "rivalry".
They are quick to point out that Wake County has more land than Mecklenburg. ...they say Wake County "cheats". But they are so slow to mention how Charlotte cheats when it comes to Raleigh. Charlotte is a little under 300 square miles!! Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and a few other triangle suburbs COMBINED adds up to around 300 square miles!! And guess what!!!?? If you add the population of all of those cities/towns...give Raleigh 300 square miles, the population would be the same if not MORE than Charlotte's...it will yield 800,000 population give or take!! But they aren't quick to point out how Charlotte "cheats". Beautiful skyline however.
Never question them! Facts don't matter. The fact that Charlotte is almost 300 sq mile means nothing. Also the fact that Raleigh is 144sq miles nothing. And surely the fact that if you doubled Raleigh's area. It would be 862,000. At only 288sq miles. With 10sq miles to spare.

Fact is Charlotte is a little larger in "Real Life". Period! All the number games in the world can't change that fact. The fact that everything is centered around Charlotte and Raleigh and Durham are the centers here. Mean little in the "Real World". Both situations have good points and bad points. Depending on the person their living situation and viewpoint.

I honestly think the point is. At one time not to long ago. Charlotte was clearly the superior city/metro in N.C.. Now that obviously not the case. Some people may still want those glory days back. Sorry those days are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
Kinda like the whole Charlotte vs Raleigh "rivalry".
They are quick to point out that Wake County has more land than Mecklenburg. ...they say Wake County "cheats". But they are so slow to mention how Charlotte cheats when it comes to Raleigh. Charlotte is a little under 300 square miles!! Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, and a few other triangle suburbs COMBINED adds up to around 300 square miles!! And guess what!!!?? If you add the population of all of those cities/towns...give Raleigh 300 square miles, the population would be the same if not MORE than Charlotte's...it will yield 800,000 population give or take!! But they aren't quick to point out how Charlotte "cheats". Beautiful skyline however.

Have you ever seen a map of Raleigh?

Charlotte has thousands of Acres nearly people free and completely rural. The Airport which is probably has much higher land area of Raleigh or Charlotte's downtown is also in our city limits.

But the main point is is Raleigh has some very, very wacky borders. I'd be curious if Raleigh's City limits stretch as far as Charlotte's. There are lots of blotches & islands and pieces in Raleigh's city limits. Fill in those holes and watch the Sq. Miles pile up and density go down

A worse offender than Raleigh is Cary

Again, you want to talk about Population and density numbers being skewed? Cary looks like its just as flung out as Charlotte. Only Charlotte doesn't have holes & islands

Charlotte is 297 Sq. Miles with a 2013 population of 775,202.
Wake County is 857 sq. Miles with 974,289 2013 population.
Durham County is 298 Sq. Miles with Under 300,000

Charlotte is a significantly larger city, and the bigge land size" doesn't explain the size gap due to the fact that Raleigh's city limits seem to be blotted, disconnected, add some here lose some there along with Cary.

The Triangle has world class universities, the Capitol, And is a much more liberal & progressive area than the Charlotte region. There are positives to both. I'm not going to pretend Charlotte region comes close to the triangle in terms of progressiveness or education.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 11-22-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,146,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

The Triangle has world class universities, the Capitol, And is a much more liberal & progressive area than the Charlotte region. There are positives to both. I'm not going to pretend Charlotte region comes close to the triangle in terms of progressiveness or education.
oh please. there's not a hill of beans worth of difference, Raleigh is not some liberal bastion, lol.

That "education" is on the backs of NC taxpayers, and is attributable to the two big universities in the state setting up shop there. That's it. It's not like Wake county grows all those students themselves. A huge percentage of them end of coming from the Charlotte metro.

For decades now we've had to listen to Raleigh carry on with their moaning and groaning about Charlotte and Mecklenburg. **** Raleigh. I'd just as soon be part of South Carolina than ever have to listen to one more Raleigh/Charlotte pissing match.

The thread is about Mecklenburg County. Keep Wake county out of our thread, the meddle enough in our business any-damn-way.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,433,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
oh please. there's not a hill of beans worth of difference, Raleigh is not some liberal bastion, lol.

That "education" is on the backs of NC taxpayers, and is attributable to the two big universities in the state setting up shop there. That's it. It's not like Wake county grows all those students themselves. A huge percentage of them end of coming from the Charlotte metro.

For decades now we've had to listen to Raleigh carry on with their moaning and groaning about Charlotte and Mecklenburg. **** Raleigh. I'd just as soon be part of South Carolina than ever have to listen to one more Raleigh/Charlotte pissing match.

The thread is about Mecklenburg County. Keep Wake county out of our thread, the meddle enough in our business any-damn-way.
I agree isn't there a 400 plus thread dedicated to that topic ugh. how did wake pop in here anyway? This is Meck county. Besides didn't they make a similar thread like this one saying why hasn't wake passed us yet?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM

272 posts, read 378,034 times
[quote=ZeusAV;37373125]Big difference being the the combined populations of those 4 cities are not concentrated in one central area. As in the 50 square mile radius of Raleigh population does not even compare to that of a 50 mile radius of Charlotte. You're adding the population of 4 cities, with Durham and Chapel Hill being separated from Raleigh/Cary by quite some distance. Their city limits are not contiguous with each other nor is the population centered around Raleigh. They're not even in the same county. You're picking and choosing certain urbanized segments while leaving out rural less populated areas between the cities for your angle.
While Charlotte's is all concentrated within Mecklenburg.

That's like someone trying to exclude the less populated part of Charlotte around the airport from the numbers claim Concord and Gastonia are a part of Charlotte instead. A pointless metric for an even more pointless argument.

Also if you want to be technical about it, the Charlotte MSA is larger than the combined Raleigh/Durham MSAs and the Charlotte CSA is larger than the Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA. So no matter how you spin it Raleigh is second.

Charlotte is larger than Raleigh (and has a beautiful skyline), just get over it.[/quote

Wow, See, that's the problem. Not only in NC, but the rest of the USA =It is a known fact that over there in Charlotte, you get your feelings hurt when Charlotte gets exposed. LOL..You said, "Get over it."...GET OVER WHAT?? The smoke and mirrors? Charlotte is a nice city, it really is, but once you stop trying to put it on a higher pedestal than it is, you won't get offended so easily over an online post. You are proving my point....Your comment=(You're picking and choosing certain urbanized segments while leaving out rural less populated areas between the cities for your angle.) That was the comment you just stated. My point wasn't in bashing Charlotte, my angle was the FACT that EVERY forum I have been on concerning Charlotte vs Raleigh, yall are on this "Wake "CHEATS" with it's larger land mass....but never if you bring up the 300 square miles of Charlotte...we never say that Charlotte "CHEATS"...but according to the definition of you Charlotteanz, Charlotte "CHEATS" as well. Practice what you preaching is all that I'm saying. Then you have this corny "Charlotte's got A lot" commercial. If Charlotee was really on the level that it claimed to be, WHY WHY WHY is there a COMMERCIAL to promote Charlotte? Why does Charlotte need promotion if it's the best thing since sliced bread??
That's something that small towns do.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Wake County and Raleigh threads aren't about Charlotte, but for some reason, you will see all types of Charlotte related garbage on our threads...so.....When I stop seeing Charlotte posters on my Raleigh threads, and Mecklenburg County posters on my Wake County threads, I will be more than happy to stay off of Charlotte/Meck threads. When yall can keep Mecklenburg/Charlotte out of our threads, we will do the same.......It's been going on for quite some time now....I'm just returning the favor.

Practice what you preach Charlotte

Old 12-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Never question them! Facts don't matter. The fact that Charlotte is almost 300 sq mile means nothing. Also the fact that Raleigh is 144sq miles nothing. And surely the fact that if you doubled Raleigh's area. It would be 862,000. At only 288sq miles. With 10sq miles to spare.

Fact is Charlotte is a little larger in "Real Life". Period! All the number games in the world can't change that fact. The fact that everything is centered around Charlotte and Raleigh and Durham are the centers here. Mean little in the "Real World". Both situations have good points and bad points. Depending on the person their living situation and viewpoint.

I honestly think the point is. At one time not to long ago. Charlotte was clearly the superior city/metro in N.C.. Now that obviously not the case. Some people may still want those glory days back. Sorry those days are gone.
Point I was trying to make....thank you
I couldn't have said it better.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Have you ever seen a map of Raleigh?

Charlotte has thousands of Acres nearly people free and completely rural. The Airport which is probably has much higher land area of Raleigh or Charlotte's downtown is also in our city limits.

But the main point is is Raleigh has some very, very wacky borders. I'd be curious if Raleigh's City limits stretch as far as Charlotte's. There are lots of blotches & islands and pieces in Raleigh's city limits. Fill in those holes and watch the Sq. Miles pile up and density go down

A worse offender than Raleigh is Cary

Again, you want to talk about Population and density numbers being skewed? Cary looks like its just as flung out as Charlotte. Only Charlotte doesn't have holes & islands

Charlotte is 297 Sq. Miles with a 2013 population of 775,202.
Wake County is 857 sq. Miles with 974,289 2013 population.
Durham County is 298 Sq. Miles with Under 300,000

Charlotte is a significantly larger city, and the bigge land size" doesn't explain the size gap due to the fact that Raleigh's city limits seem to be blotted, disconnected, add some here lose some there along with Cary.

I like Charlotte, I really do, it just grinds my gears to listen to SOME Charlotte posters. You know what I'm talking about, the ones that just HATE Raleigh. I have never once met someone in Raleigh that HATED Charlotte. We actually don't talk about Charlotte at all. For some reason there is a few people that hate Raleigh the "capitol" and that spews over to hating the citizens of Raleigh. The citizens of Raleigh have NOTHING to do with laws being made. The Government District covers just a few blocks radius in downtown Raleigh. Raleigh has struggles, rich & poor people, just as Charlotte does too....it isn't just a capitol city with "all of the money". Those small blotches and land gaps are usually 1 square mile, 2 square miles etc.....they do add up, but not to a number significant enough to turn 144 square miles 300 square miles.....And as far as CLT Airport being the size of Raleigh...I HIGHLY doubt that Charlotte's airport is at 144 square miles!!.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

the meddle enough in our business??? What does "the meddle enough" mean?? AND What business are you talking about?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:20 PM

363 posts, read 441,934 times
There is a post in the NC forum for Raleigh vs Charlotte. Take your frustrations over there !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte