Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 02:48 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,472,275 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rahlee boy;37488760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Big difference being the the combined populations of those 4 cities are not concentrated in one central area. As in the 50 square mile radius of Raleigh population does not even compare to that of a 50 mile radius of Charlotte. You're adding the population of 4 cities, with Durham and Chapel Hill being separated from Raleigh/Cary by quite some distance. Their city limits are not contiguous with each other nor is the population centered around Raleigh. They're not even in the same county. You're picking and choosing certain urbanized segments while leaving out rural less populated areas between the cities for your angle.
While Charlotte's is all concentrated within Mecklenburg.

That's like someone trying to exclude the less populated part of Charlotte around the airport from the numbers claim Concord and Gastonia are a part of Charlotte instead. A pointless metric for an even more pointless argument.

Also if you want to be technical about it, the Charlotte MSA is larger than the combined Raleigh/Durham MSAs and the Charlotte CSA is larger than the Raleigh/Durham/Cary CSA. So no matter how you spin it Raleigh is second.

Charlotte is larger than Raleigh (and has a beautiful skyline), just get over it.[/quote

Wow, See, that's the problem. Not only in NC, but the rest of the USA =It is a known fact that over there in Charlotte, you get your feelings hurt when Charlotte gets exposed. LOL..You said, "Get over it."...GET OVER WHAT?? The smoke and mirrors? Charlotte is a nice city, it really is, but once you stop trying to put it on a higher pedestal than it is, you won't get offended so easily over an online post. You are proving my point....Your comment=(You're picking and choosing certain urbanized segments while leaving out rural less populated areas between the cities for your angle.) That was the comment you just stated. My point wasn't in bashing Charlotte, my angle was the FACT that EVERY forum I have been on concerning Charlotte vs Raleigh, yall are on this "Wake "CHEATS" with it's larger land mass....but never if you bring up the 300 square miles of Charlotte...we never say that Charlotte "CHEATS"...but according to the definition of you Charlotteanz, Charlotte "CHEATS" as well. Practice what you preaching is all that I'm saying. Then you have this corny "Charlotte's got A lot" commercial. If Charlotee was really on the level that it claimed to be, WHY WHY WHY is there a COMMERCIAL to promote Charlotte? Why does Charlotte need promotion if it's the best thing since sliced bread??
That's something that small towns do.
So how are you any better than those people who are going over to the Raleigh/Durham forum and bringing up Charlotte? The "he did it to me so I did it back to him" mentality is something that children do. I myself don't go to the Triangle forum and try to boost up Charlotte or throw it in their faces. It serves no purpose. I'm not sure why there's such an inferiority complex over one city being larger than the other. It just is what it is.

This is a thread in the Charlotte forum about Mecklenburg County getting 1 million residents. So there's no purpose in creating a Charlotte vs. Raleigh battle in it. It's totally irrelevant to this discussion. There's already a very long thread in the North Carolina main forum for you guys to continue "one-up" each other. Keep it over there.

As for Charlotte having tourism commercials, were you just born yesterday? Tons of cities have and run tourism commercials and ads to try to get people to visit. When I lived out West I would see commercials promoting San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix etc. and a couple of those places are even larger than Charlotte. That's called marketing. What's wrong with Charlotte trying to attract more tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte