U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,186,198 times

Advertisements

The Charlotte Observer : 1 million and counting

Hey guys just thought I'll show some good news. 1st for the state of North Carolina. Can only imagine what the city size of charlotte now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,878,746 times
Wow. Finally!

Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,746,017 times
Cool!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,033,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
The Charlotte Observer : 1 million and counting

Hey guys just thought I'll show some good news. 1st for the state of North Carolina. Can only imagine what the city size of charlotte now.
Charlotte's 2010 population was nearly 80% of Meck's population. Since Meck and Charlotte have the same growth rates over the last 3 years, Charlotte's estimated population today is about 800,000. Neither of these numbers will show up next year, because official estimates are for the month of April (these are September estimates). So the 1 million-plus Meck and the 800k-plus Charlotte won't become "official" until 2015 (when April 2014 estimates are released). As a result, Mecklenburg and Wake county will officially reach 1 million on the same year. Wake has more land than Meck and Durham counties combined, but that won't take away from the fact that NC will have two 1 million-plus counties.

In the 1860s, the state of NC reached the 1 million mark. 150 years later, NC now has two 1 million-plus counties. If I live to see the next 30-40 years, I honestly don't think I will recognize Mecklenburg county. Back in 1990, Meck had slightly more than 500k. That 500k doubled in only 23 years. Let's say that the county takes 30 years to double its population again. That would be a population of 2 million by 2043 within a 524 sq/mile county. To compare, present-day Houston has 2.2 million people within a 600 sq/mile city. In other words, some of us might live to see this area grow into a Houston-like city.

These numbers and projections should be a wake up call to our local leaders. Smart growth and proper measures to maintain the area's quality of life must take top priority over everything else. I don't want to see the growth end, but I don't think "any growth" is "good growth" either. Light rail and/or heavy rail is a must. I-77 needed to be widened last decade. Commuter rail construction should have started yesterday. Dead end neighborhood streets need to be connected to a greater city-wide grid. Bike lanes and sidewalks should be a metro standard as well as a city-wide standard. The more folks we can get commuting by bicycle and foot, the fewer lanes of roads we'll need in the long run. I'd also like to see more pedestrian bridges over busy freeways (think US-74 and the way how it bisects neighborhoods). The lack of pedestrian bridges in our freeway corridor neighborhoods promotes driving. Many of these folks would rather walk or bike if it were safe to do so. Another good idea (not sure if its been done in other cities or not) would be a dedicated "scooter lane". The high gas prices as well as the rising cost of owning an auto means we can expect more scooters on the roads. If scooter owners were asked to pay a small "scooter tax", this tax could help fund special lanes for their vehicles. Scooters are too fast for bike lanes and they block traffic in normal travel lanes. IMO, it's a vehicle that should have its own lane (as long as scooter owners are paying for that special lane).

I think this community can grow and still offer future residents a decent quality of life. Unlike some folks, I don't think jobs will be the limiting factor to this area's growth. Infrastructure is what we should be paying attention to.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
I see that this isn't an official count and is an estimate based on annual growth rates:
"That’s the calculation of Andrew Bowen, research wonk of the Charlotte Chamber, who figured that Mecklenburg County would welcome its 1 millionth resident sometime Thursday.

Based on annual growth rates from the Census Bureau, Bowen has calculated that Mecklenburg adds 72 new residents a day through people moving in or having babies vs. the people who move away or die.

As the figure ticked toward a million, Bowen did the math and declared that Sept. 12, 2013, would be the day. Statistically speaking, anyway. Nobody’s counting heads."
OK, I get that, and it's probably not that far off from reality. But with that said, the article goes on to make comparisons for "bragging rights" without taking the growth rates of those counties into account:
"Let’s review our bragging rights.

• Fulton County, Ga., has a big town called Atlanta. Fulton County only has 949,599 residents. Keep in mind that Georgia counties are itty bitty things, but we’re still more populous.

• Our cross-state rival, Wake County, counts 952,151 residents. It has a city called Raleigh, which is a suburb of Cary. Wake is expected to actually pass Mecklenburg in population in the next five years, but Wake County cheats. It is a bloated 857 square miles; Mecklenburg is a svelte 546."
This is a prime example of sloppy journalism. As of the 2012 estimates, Mecklenburg County had 969,031 people, having grown 5.4% since 2010 when it had 919,628 people. In comparison, Fulton County had 977,773 according to the 2012 estimates (that 949,599 figure is from 2011), having grown 6.2% since 2010. So no, Mecklenburg County actually isn't more populous although the difference is on the negligible side. Either way, going by most recent growth rates, it would appear that Fulton County added its one millionth resident a couple of days before Mecklenburg did. Wake County's figure is accurate for 2012 and it grew 5.7% since 2010 when it had 900,993 people. I haven't done the math, but it seems like with such close numbers in raw population and growth rates, Wake will add its one millionth resident very shortly after Mecklenburg, which is, again, a negligible difference. So on the technical side, Mecklenburg might have bragging rights over Wake, but I don't see it for Fulton.

At any rate, the 2013 Census estimates should reflect Mecklenburg's population as 1 million+.

It's also interesting that of Charlotte's closest metropolitan peers, nearly all of them already have over 1 million people in the county that houses the metro's principal city (Pittsburgh, Orlando, Sacramento, San Antonio). However, those counties also cover larger land areas.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM

533 posts, read 768,748 times
feels like 2 million every time I get stuck on 485 at 5PM lol

Old 09-13-2013, 07:29 AM

53 posts, read 83,546 times
The 800K number is extremely MISLEADING due to the sprawl like city boundaries that include mostly suburbs. That would be a similiar population to San Fransico or Seattle. Charlotte has a long way to go to

Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
The 800K number is extremely MISLEADING due to the sprawl like city boundaries that include mostly suburbs. That would be a similiar population to San Fransico or Seattle. Charlotte has a long way to go to
I don't think it's really misleading since most people know Charlotte takes up a lot of land.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,878,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I see that this isn't an official count and is an estimate based on annual growth rates:
"That’s the calculation of Andrew Bowen, research wonk of the Charlotte Chamber, who figured that Mecklenburg County would welcome its 1 millionth resident sometime Thursday.

Based on annual growth rates from the Census Bureau, Bowen has calculated that Mecklenburg adds 72 new residents a day through people moving in or having babies vs. the people who move away or die.

As the figure ticked toward a million, Bowen did the math and declared that Sept. 12, 2013, would be the day. Statistically speaking, anyway. Nobody’s counting heads."
OK, I get that, and it's probably not that far off from reality. But with that said, the article goes on to make comparisons for "bragging rights" without taking the growth rates of those counties into account:
"Let’s review our bragging rights.

• Fulton County, Ga., has a big town called Atlanta. Fulton County only has 949,599 residents. Keep in mind that Georgia counties are itty bitty things, but we’re still more populous.

• Our cross-state rival, Wake County, counts 952,151 residents. It has a city called Raleigh, which is a suburb of Cary. Wake is expected to actually pass Mecklenburg in population in the next five years, but Wake County cheats. It is a bloated 857 square miles; Mecklenburg is a svelte 546."
I think the comparison between Mecklenburg and Fulton is to prove Charlotte isn't as small as some people think/make out to be.

The Mecklenburg/Wake comparison fired back at this article. RALEIGH: It's Wake's turn as state's population king | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

Old 09-13-2013, 06:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,186,198 times
The Mecklenburg/Wake comparison fired back at this article. RALEIGH: It's Wake's turn as state's population king | Wake County | NewsObserver.com[/quote]

How does this article compare to Mecklenburg today. It was published in 2010. Wake had there time as the most populated county but Mecklenburg took the crown back. Wake will have there time but it isn't now, and not for a while. Hell the city of Charlotte itself will be pushing close to 1 million people when wake gets 1 million residents. Wake may have more land but Mecklenburg is everyday, every hour,ever minute becoming extremely dense. The way we starting to stack people on top of each other now lol.

PS: nothing on you Austin, love your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte