U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,766,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don't blame the woman but opening a door at 2:30 AM is a little odd unless her husband has a history of coming home drunk and banging on the door.

anyhoo lets get on to the races..

Maybe it's me or maybe it's due to the way the news is presented but how many times have we heard of a black officer shooting a suspect 10 times? Seems like there is an alarming number of white cops using overkill in cases where there isn't even a weapon present.
Agreed - I don't blame the woman either. She panicked and hit the alarm. That's understandable.

The events that unfolded after that are still are a bit hard to digest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,029,488 times
I read that this cop lives in Midland NC. I was curious, so I decided to check the demographics of Midland's main zip code of 28107.

Midland
White 92%
Black 6%
Others 2%

Here is the average racial make up of North Carolina...

North Carolina
White 65%
Black 22%
Others 13%

And the average for the city of Charlotte...

Charlotte
White 45%
Black 35%
Others 20%

This is interesting because it gives us a snapshot of what this cop's home life might be like. At home, he probably never had too many encounters with black folks (good or bad encounters). The same can be said about the Kentucky cops who drew their guns on me while I was on my way to work (obviously, this happened back when I lived in that state). The fact that this cop (Officer Kerrick) hangs his hat in Midland could be evidence of possible xenophobia on his part. I'm curious as to where the other cops (who didn't shoot) live. It is a known fact that one's home environment often shapes that person's mentality. I think the Ferrell family might have a strong case if they get the right lawyer.

Now that I'm looking at this from a different angle, I think I'm going to change my previous opinion about diversity training. Earlier in this thread I stated that such training probably wasn't the issue; I was wrong. Cops like Kerrick needed that training IMO simply because he probably lacked the diverse home life that many actual Charlotteans take for granted.

Due to smaller towns losing funding, people are now commuting longer distances for law enforcement jobs. As a result, there are going to be a lot of "Mayberry" residents applying for "Metropolis" cop jobs. I think that's the real story behind all of these white cop/unarmed black male killings recently. The small town cops (due to funding cuts) are being phased out. As a result, small town officers are commuting into the cities for work. With such a scenario, diversity training is a must.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-17-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 PM

595 posts, read 1,405,661 times
Where is the dashcam video?? Did the CMPD "lose" it already??

Quote:
Police officials said the decision to charge Kerrick came after reviewing dash camera video from the police cruisers that responded to the call and after speaking with prosecutors. Although Ferrell ran out of the cameras’ view before the fatal shooting, the video shows him lifting his clothing, likely to show that he was unarmed.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,282,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I read that this cop lives in Midland NC. I was curious, so I decided to check the demographics of Midland's main zip code of 28107.

Midland
White 92%
Black 6%
Others 2%

Here is the average racial make up of North Carolina...

North Carolina
White 65%
Black 22%
Others 13%

And the average for the city of Charlotte...

Charlotte
White 45%
Black 35%
Others 20%

This is interesting because it gives us a snapshot of what this cop's home life might be like. At home, he probably never had too many encounters with black folks (good or bad encounters). The same can be said about the Kentucky cops who drew their guns on me while I was on my way to work (obviously, this happened back when I lived in that state). The fact that this cop (Officer Kerrick) hangs his hat in Midland could be evidence of possible xenophobia on his part. I'm curious as to where the other cops (who didn't shoot) live. It is a known fact that one's home environment often shapes that person's mentality. I think the Ferrell family might have a strong case if they get the right lawyer.

Now that I'm looking at this from a different angle, I think I'm going to change my previous opinion about diversity training. Earlier in this thread I stated that such training probably wasn't the issue; I was wrong. Cops like Kerrick needed that training IMO simply because he probably lacked the diverse home life that many actual Charlotteans take for granted.

Due to smaller towns losing funding, people are now commuting longer distances for law enforcement jobs. As a result, there are going to be a lot of "Mayberry" residents applying for "Metropolis" cop jobs. I think that's the real story behind all of these white cop/unarmed black male killings recently. The small town cops (due to funding cuts) are being phased out. As a result, small town officers are commuting into the cities for work. With such a scenario, diversity training is a must.
There's some truth to this. I wonder why we allow CMPD officers to live outside the county.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM

169 posts, read 153,904 times
Seems like a lot of guessing, adding or detracting facts, some preconceived notions...Even most people on the scene at the time did not see or have the facts on everything that happened. That's why we have courts of law hopefully to bring out the facts of what actually happened. I would encourage everyone to wait for the investigation, court hearings and findings before making a determination of this incident or any other incident. The fact is, no one wins here no matter how it turns out. It is tragic. I would hope the family of the deceased finds peace at some point, and that justice will take its course. Anything beyond that are just opinions and conjecture.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,282,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I recall back about 12 years ago 2 policemen arrived at a local cell phone tower and ended up killing a guy working there and he had no gun. The guy was white and the 2 cops were black. I dont recall the quick assumption of criminal behavior or racism being brought into this killing and oh yea the cops were not charged with a thing. ....2 big cops and one unarmed guy so WHY did THEY have to kill him?
Are you talking about Anthony Furr? The cell phone tower worker did have a gun and according to those officers pointed it at them. Get your facts straight.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM

140 posts, read 202,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Where is the dashcam video?? Did the CMPD "lose" it already??
My god. If there is really footage of Ferrell showing the cops that he was unarmed, there is no defense for this cop. None at all.

EDIT: AND with his hands in the air. Sickening. Sickening, sickening, sickening.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...r-court/nZytc/

Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,029,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
My god. If there is really footage of Ferrell showing the cops that he was unarmed, there is no defense for this cop. None at all.

EDIT: AND with his hands in the air. Sickening. Sickening, sickening, sickening.

NAACP Chapter President on shooting:
My oh my....

Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,459,263 times
Quote:
This is interesting because it gives us a snapshot of what this cop's home life might be like.
Why would it matter what it might be like?
Quote:
At home, he probably never had too many encounters with black folks (good or bad encounters).
Conjecture much? And do other white cops from Midland have a history of this or something?
Quote:
The fact that this cop (Officer Kerrick) hangs his hat in Midland could be evidence of possible xenophobia on his part.
Don't know where to start on this one. Now he doesn't like foreigners? Are people from MIdland well-known xenophobes? If not, then why suggest otherwise?
Quote:
I'm curious as to where the other cops (who didn't shoot) live.
Why? What would that prove? Oh that's right, we're not doing proof here.
Quote:
It is a known fact that one's home environment often shapes that person's mentality. I think the Ferrell family might have a strong case if they get the right lawyer.
If I were a lawyer for the Ferrell family I'd stand a better chance of getting a conviction by keeping to the facts of the matter without needing to resort to "he came from a redneck town, so maybe that helps explain it" nonsense.

Are you not embarrassed making all these stereotypes?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,000,727 times
Not only was Ferrell unarmed, but he was within 2 feet of the cowardly murdering cop! Even the chief says there was no justification for this murder. That cop should rot in prison, but he will probably walk! Disgusting!

CMPD handling tragic case properly | CharlotteObserver.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post

NAACP Chapter President on shooting:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte