U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times

Advertisements

I just have one question thus far in re: to the Homeowner's 911 call. She said he was kicking down the door. Reports say the young man had lost his shoes (doubtless when his car wrecked) and he was standing there without shoes on.

Kicking down a door without shoes on is 1. going to damage your feet and be quite painful and 2. isn't going to leave much visible damage to a door.

Now, maybe he was beating on the door and pleading for help, and she just took that as his kicking on the door.

I would like to read the entire transcript, unedited, word for word, of the Homeowner's 911 call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,036,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I just have one question thus far in re: to the Homeowner's 911 call. She said he was kicking down the door. Reports say the young man had lost his shoes (doubtless when his car wrecked) and he was standing there without shoes on.

Kicking down a door without shoes on is 1. going to damage your feet and be quite painful and 2. isn't going to leave much visible damage to a door.

Now, maybe he was beating on the door and pleading for help, and she just took that as his kicking on the door.

I would like to read the entire transcript, unedited, word for word, of the Homeowner's 911 call.
And see Ani, this is why I LOVE you (forum love that is). Some people are so quick to defend this girl, but you at least took the time out to think. Thank you for that. Race issues aside, this girl reported quite a few opinions rather than facts. I'm not saying she is guilty of a crime, but her call had a lot to do with how the cops responded. Another thing to note is that Kerrick was the least experienced officer of the 3. His relative lack of experience probably had more to do with his actions than race. I say this because even an experienced cop with a racist agenda would've known not to risk his career by shooting Ferrell.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-18-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And see Ani, this is why I LOVE you. Some people are so quick to defend this girl, but you at least took the time out to think. Thank you for that. Race issues aside, this girl reported quite a few opinions rather than facts. I'm not saying she is guilty of a crime, but her call had a lot to do with how the cops responded. Another thing to note is that Kerrick was the least experienced officer of the 3. His relative lack of experience probably had more to do with his actions than race.
URBAN: I love you, too, and have enjoyed posting with you over the years.

The bottom line to this was use of excessive force by law enforcement. We may never know the reasons "why" the homeowner was so hysterical or the cop fired so many shots.

The truth may very well be that the homeowner was scared to the point of hysteria seeing a big guy at her door. And it may be that the officer was scared by encountering a big guy who didn't seem totally in control of himself.

Or it may be that the homeowner was scared because the guy was big and black. Same for the officer.

From my perspective, the two times I have been personally assaulted (an attempted rape and an attempted break-in), the perps were white. I have never been assaulted by anyone of another race. I have received assistance from a black male when the white males passed me by, however. So my life experiences have not been along the lines of "black male as boogey man." My experiences have been - good and bad people come in all sizes, shapes and colors.

Now, this situation at hand is confusing to me b/c the woman did not determine how much of a real threat the young man at her door was b/f freaking out. She opened the door and it must have shocked her so much that it wasn't her hubby that she slammed it quickly (maybe she had a storm door, as I do, which is always locked). We just don't know the answers to those questions. It is perplexing to think she opened the door (without a storm door) and could really have thought she had confronted a would-be robber -- as a real robber would have pushed his way through the door and into her house. That piece of the equation still bothers me and is why I have wondered if she had a locked storm door.

But what bugs me the most is . . . once the woman determined there was an unknown person at the door, why didn't she talk to him through the door if he was yelling for help?

So was the trigger to her hysteria the fact that there was an unknown man at her door? Or was it b/c there was a unknown black man at her door?

We will most likely never know the answer to these questions. The facts are: there was a man banging on her door, it scared her for whatever reasons, she called 911, and an officer over-reacted and killed an innocent man seeking help.

Police officers (and especially, dispatchers) should be used to dealing with hysterical people on the phone. They should be trained to de-escalate situations. There is a whole lot here to be reviewed. Diversity training may be part of it . . . but most of it lies within the psychological profile of the officer himself. Anyone who feels it necessary to use a gun (i.e. deadly force) when the level of a potential threat has not even been established has no business being in law enforcement.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,460,557 times
Quote:
Race issues aside, this girl reported quite a few opinions rather than facts.
At least she was doing it spontaneously.

Quote:
His relative lack of experience probably had more to do with his actions than race. I say this because even an experienced cop with a racist agenda would've known not to risk his career by shooting Ferrell.
So, after 4 days you've finally concluded it was more to do with lack of experience than anything else. That was quite a journey you took us on, though. Have the demographics of Midland changed within the past 24hrs that that's now off the table?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post

So, after 4 days you've finally concluded it was more to do with lack of experience than anything else. That was quite a journey you took us on, though. Have the demographics of Midland changed within the past 24hrs that that's now off the table?
We can't know how much race had to do with everyone's reactions anymore than we can rule out race as having a role in how folks reacted.

There is just no way to know.

However, I do not find it strange that onlookers would speculate if race did or didn't have anything to do with the reactions of both the homeowner and the officers.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We can't know how much race had to do with everyone's reactions anymore than we can rule out race as having a role in how folks reacted.

There is just no way to know.

However, I do not find it strange that onlookers would speculate if race did or didn't have anything to do with the reactions of both the homeowner and the officers.
People assume the worst too much in our society. I think that's the theme of this incident. Also, I think some people are too immature to have an adult conversation about race. Whether we care to admit it or not, race and our issues with race as a society are real. Maybe I'm more aware of this due to my interracial marriage and my white step sons. You tend to learn really fast how much our society sees color when restaurants constantly give you and your wife separate checks; or the school system won't allow you to pick up your step son without seeing your ID and making a few phone calls first (as if the big black man is there to kidnap the white kid that calls him "step dad"). If I had a dollar for every time a school official had to hear my wife's "white voice" on the phone before I was allowed to pick up our sons; oh well never mind. I'm just glad the step kids are teenagers now and those days only exists as memories.

My goodness, if folks only knew the real me and what I've seen they'd totally understand my insights on things a bit more. You at least try to understand Ani so thank you again.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-18-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,057,996 times
I think most normal/rational people understand that race plays a role in all of our lives - just like gender. It sometimes (I'll say often) colors how we view situations - typically unknowingly. That fact doesn't mean you are a racist nor does it mean that someone else is playing a race card. It is simply acknowledging our basic humanity. We all have biases. You can acknowledge it and work on it, or pretend that it doesn't happen.

Quote:
People assume the worst too much in our society. I think that's the theme of this incident. Also, I think some people are too immature to have an adult conversation about race. Whether we care to admit it or not, race and our issues with race as a society are real. Maybe I'm more aware of this due to my interracial marriage and my white step sons. You tend to learn really fast how much our society sees color when restaurants constantly give you and your wife separate checks; or the school system won't allow you to pick up your step son without seeing your ID and making a few phone calls first (as if the big black man is there to kidnap the white kid that calls him "step dad"). If I had a dollar for every time a school official had to hear my wife's "white voice" on the phone before I was allowed to pick up our sons; oh well never mind. I'm just glad the step kids are teenagers now and those days only exists as memories.

My goodness, if folks only knew the real me and what I've seen they'd totally understand my insights on things a bit more. You at least try to understand Ani so thank you again.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Well said...

Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:

This situation is haunting to me and I found myself waking up last night thinking about it. I keep going over and over in my head . . . what if this were my son? What if he had a terrible car accident and knocked on someone's door for help . . . would he end up shot b/c some cop went bonkers w/ no cause? My son is the joy of my life. I keep thinking about Ferrell's mom and how her life has been forever changed. There is no justice in a situation like this. Her son is gone. It really doesn't even matter what happens to the officer as far as a life being extinguished.

I have contacted the police department here twice, offering to connect them to police departments in the midwest who have developed a CIT (Crisis Intervention Team). One of my clients is involved in CIT in conjunction with mental health centers. It's an all-volunteer effort and police are specially trained to deal with situations where there may be high risk of violence, suicide, hostages, etc. Too many times I have heard about someone calling for assistance with a domestic violence situation and cops here end up shooting someone. Or a suicide intervention. Or serving a warrant to a mentally ill person. These people end up getting killed on their own property.

I didn't even get a call back from either of my attempts to connect CMPD officials with the right folks in Kansas City in hopes of starting a discussion about CIT. The KCMO officers were ready, willing and able to discuss development of the program, and to set up training.

More info here:

NAMI | CIT

This terrible situation has reminded me how inadequate DE-ESCALATION training must be in this region. The approach seems to be USE THAT TASER!!!! and talk later. We had another young man die after being tazed (sp) . . . and it would seem officers still haven't figured out that there are ways of handling a situation other than Taze 'em and/or Shoot 'em.

At least this one officer hadn't caught on. And that is one too many, as we have already so clearly been shown.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:15 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,670,018 times
What a difference a couple of days makes.

I watched WBTV and read the Charlotte Observer today and the defense attorneys say that the officer DID give verbal commands to Ferrell and this is proven on the dash cam and that Ferrell DID assault the officer, and that Chief Monroe admits that Ferrell DID assault the officer.

The Ferrell family attorney, contradicting his statements on Tuesday, said Wednesday that he didn't know if officers did give verbal commands to Ferrell to stop. At first, the attorney was so sure after he saw the dash cam that orders were not given, but since the defense has seen the video and released a statement, he now says that he only saw the video once so he cant remember when the commands were given but that there commands.

Also remember the toxicology report is not out yet either.

CMPD says it will not release the dash cam to the public because of an ongoing investigation.....ongoing? So they charge the officer within hours even without a complete investigation? Sorry but there was way too much information not known to the public at first that we know now to have warranted such quick charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte