U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 12:17 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,760,296 times

Advertisements

Wrecking your car believe it or not is not a real emergency. Now if there are any serious injuries you would call that a medical emergency. The question is all about the reported erratic behavior which evidently alarmed a woman in the middle of the night. I don't think there was a crime committed by the cop but perhaps he did show inexperience and bad judgement . A good reprimand and maybe firing him would seem more appropriate . People are starting to make personal criticisms of others here that don't agree so I hope the mod will go ahead and close this one down. thanks a bunch

Last edited by crestliner; 09-20-2013 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 AM

14 posts, read 69,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Wrecking your car believe it or not is not a real emergency. Now if there are any serious injuries you would call that a medical emergency. The question is all about the reported erratic behavior which evidently alarmed a woman in the middle of the night. I don't think there was a crime committed by the cop but perhaps he did show inexperience and bad judgement . A good reprimand and maybe firing him would seem more appropriate . People are starting to make personal criticisms of others here that don't agree so I hope the mod will go ahead and close this one down. thanks a bunch
To be honest you appear to be jumping at different angles trying to defend the cop. In your earlier postings you asked "why didn't he yell 'call 9/11 I have been in an accident'", then later "just because you wreck your car doesn't mean you have the right to go around waking people up".

You (nor I) have no clue how seriously injured Ferrell was. Looking at some of the pictures that were released of the damaged car, I would not be surprised if Ferrell was at least disoriented and needed immediate assistance.

You can argue that no crime was committed by the cop but I can just as easily argue that Ferrell committed no action that warranted him getting shot.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Crest, where is it that you learned that Ferrell came to the woman's house and asked for her to call 911?

She hit the panic button on her alarm system and that is why 911 was called.

Ferrell kept yelling outside . . . what was he yelling? HELP ME? CALL A WRECKER? CALL AN AMBULANCE? CALL MY FIANCEE?

How do you know what he was yelling?

Regardless, it was the homeowner who decided to call 911 instead of trying to find out WHY he was at her house banging on a door at 2:30 am.

And please don't start with the "no one would talk to him at 2:30 am" diatribe. The woman could have called the police and then asked through the door what the heck the yelling was about. It took police 11 minutes to get there. Yes, she was panicked! I am simply saying . . . your contention is that Ferrell should not have called 911. Well, HE DIDN'T. The homeowner did.

And as far as your thinking the cop didn't commit a crime . . . what police state do YOU live in? Cause I have never even HEARD of a situation where it is condoned for police to indiscriminately shoot and kill unarmed citizens who are not in the midst of committing a crime.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,760,296 times
His crime was NOT STOPPING after being given the lawful police demand to do so. The question is was he ranting and screaming incoherently outside of the women's house or not. He put himself in the very dangerous situation once he started disturbing the peace. His behavior alerted police as he refused to stop and not affected by the taser People that aren't affected by a taser are often very high on drugs and dangerous so this is a fact the police had to take into consideration. I am not defending the policeman but all over the country race haters are calling him a cold blooded murderer which is not the case. Did the police see a person wanting to report a minor traffic accident or did they see a raving crazy man showing potential to do THEM harm? If all he wanted was for the police to be called he got that when she called..So what was the problem? Why was he not satisfied when they arrived? Why did he not obey them? He is not the innocent victim minding his own business and picked out for assassination as the race haters are saying. The shooting was tragic but his behavior caused it evidently.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,270,313 times
Quote:
His crime was NOT STOPPING after being given the lawful police demand to do so. The question is was he ranting and screaming incoherently outside of the women's house or not. He put himself in the very dangerous situation once he started disturbing the peace. His behavior alerted police as he refused to stop and not affected by the taser People that aren't affected by a taser are often very high on drugs and dangerous so this is a fact the police had to take into consideration. I am not defending the policeman but all over the country race haters are calling him a cold blooded murderer which is not the case. Did the police see a person wanting to report a minor traffic accident or did they see a raving crazy man showing potential to do THEM harm? If all he wanted was for the police to be called he got that when she called..So what was the problem? Why was he not satisfied when they arrived? Why did he not obey them? He is not the innocent victim minding his own business and picked out for assassination as the race haters are saying. The shooting was tragic but his behavior caused it evidently.
Boy, you are twisting yourself into pretzels here trying to blame the victim. The man's car flipped. He had to break his back windshield to get out. "Disturbing the peace." Really?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 AM

9,473 posts, read 9,347,346 times
There are some things we don't know and may never know. Has an autopsy be done on Jonathan Ferrell? It is possible he was under the influence of some substance(s) that made him more agitated than would normally be the case in such a situation.
Plus, put yourself in the shoes of the woman who lived in the house that Ferrell approached. Can you honestly say that you would give the benefit of the doubt to a strange man who awoke you in the middle of the night telling you he had been in a wreck? Sadly, this woman made a judgment call that turned out to be tragically wrong. Should she be held accountable?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,135,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There are some things we don't know and may never know. Has an autopsy be done on Jonathan Ferrell? It is possible he was under the influence of some substance(s) that made him more agitated than would normally be the case in such a situation.
Plus, put yourself in the shoes of the woman who lived in the house that Ferrell approached. Can you honestly say that you would give the benefit of the doubt to a strange man who awoke you in the middle of the night telling you he had been in a wreck? Sadly, this woman made a judgment call that turned out to be tragically wrong. Should she be held accountable?
I haven't read this entire thread but I can't imagine anyone is blaming the woman that called 911. She was awakened in the middle of the night by someone banging on her door and she did what any reasonable person would do - call 911. Who is blaming her?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM

9,473 posts, read 9,347,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I haven't read this entire thread but I can't imagine anyone is blaming the woman that called 911. She was awakened in the middle of the night by someone banging on her door and she did what any reasonable person would do - call 911. Who is blaming her?
Maybe not here, but posters on some other websites are doing that.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:28 AM

226 posts, read 313,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
On this very page, someone suggested that she could have called 911, and then talked to the guy through the door. Personally, I think that's ridiculous, and it's only something you'd say in hindsight after knowing the guy wasn't a burglar. From early on in life, I was told that if I'm in a situation where I think someone's breaking into my house, I should call 911 and then hide (whether it's in a closet, under a bed, etc), then wait for the cops to arrive. Nobody has ever trained me to call 911, and then talk through the door to make sure the guy isn't a burglar. If my mom was home alone and someone knocked on her door at that hour, I'd hope that she wouldn't have tried to have a conversation with the guy either.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,135,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
On this very page, someone suggested that she could have called 911, and then talked to the guy through the door. Personally, I think that's ridiculous, and it's only something you'd say in hindsight after knowing the guy wasn't a burglar. From early on in life, I was told that if I'm in a situation where I think someone's breaking into my house, I should call 911 and then hide (whether it's in a closet, under a bed, etc), then wait for the cops to arrive. Nobody has ever trained me to call 911, and then talk through the door to make sure the guy isn't a burglar. If my mom was home alone and someone knocked on her door at that hour, I'd hope that she wouldn't have tried to have a conversation with the guy either.
I agree! Sorry to hear that anyone is putting any blame on the lady that called 911.

As I posted previously - some people think they are the judge and the jury and we don't KNOW the facts yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte