Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,844,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Anyone who think the standard for killing another is simply feeling threatened is rather sick. They need to find their conscious and affection for their fellow country men.
If only it were that simple. The state of mind of our police is simply a reflection of what they see in the performance of their day to day duties. When a segment of the population feels that killing a police officer is somehow a "feather in their cap," it is human instinct to adjust for that. When a percentage of the population routinely attacks officers, disregards commands, and makes officers feel threatened, the heightened reactions become a natural consequence. Take the case of Andrew Dorner- officers fired more than 100 shots at a vehicle that only very loosely resembled the one Dorner was driving, and the people in it were 100% innocent. Was the shooting justified? Absolutely not. Can I understand how it could happen? Completely. It doesn't mean it was right, but police officers are human; just like you and me. As long as there are people out there that could care less about killing a cop, you're going to see cops who adopt an "I'm going to do what I need to, to be sure I go home tonight" attitude. Who among us can blame them for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:24 AM

428 posts, read 827,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
If only it were that simple. The state of mind of our police is simply a reflection of what they see in the performance of their day to day duties. When a segment of the population feels that killing a police officer is somehow a "feather in their cap," it is human instinct to adjust for that. When a percentage of the population routinely attacks officers, disregards commands, and makes officers feel threatened, the heightened reactions become a natural consequence. Take the case of Andrew Dorner- officers fired more than 100 shots at a vehicle that only very loosely resembled the one Dorner was driving, and the people in it were 100% innocent. Was the shooting justified? Absolutely not. Can I understand how it could happen? Completely. It doesn't mean it was right, but police officers are human; just like you and me. As long as there are people out there that could care less about killing a cop, you're going to see cops who adopt an "I'm going to do what I need to, to be sure I go home tonight" attitude. Who among us can blame them for that?
What they see in day to day duties? It's a myth that cops are targeted and attacked daily. There are no stats that say such, especially in Charlotte. The very rationalization of these is the best example of the general deprivity of the average person here.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:24 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,173,577 times
Lets just wait and see if that guy was on drugs..Drugs make you do crazy stuff which is not a cool thing to do in front of cops in the middle of the night.I am sure some race haters don't want to even see the toxicology reports but they will be here soon.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Lets just wait and see if that guy was on drugs..Drugs make you do crazy stuff which is not a cool thing to do in front of cops in the middle of the night.I am sure some race haters don't want to even see the toxicology reports but they will be here soon.
Lol at race haters... drugs and/or alcohol doesn't give a cop the right to shoot unarmed man 10 times.

The death toll on college campuses and around night clubs would be sky high...

Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,130,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
And again I ask, you don't know much about "drugs", do you? If he had been smoking pot, he would have been far more likely to be passive than if he was drinking alcohol. I'm pretty sure there has been no suggestion of anything harder than pot, so where is this "drugs" rant you're on coming from?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
And again I ask, you don't know much about "drugs", do you? If he had been smoking pot, he would have been far more likely to be passive than if he was drinking alcohol. I'm pretty sure there has been no suggestion of anything harder than pot, so where is this "drugs" rant you're on coming from?
He needs something to hold onto to support his argument. I'm sorry but nothing excuses this cops actions IMO. 12 shots shows excessive force and panic by the officer. Unless Ferrell was a zombie I can't see the argument for his actions.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
What they see in day to day duties? It's a myth that cops are targeted and attacked daily. There are no stats that say such, especially in Charlotte. The very rationalization of these is the best example of the general deprivity of the average person here.
Wow, I'm depraved. I guess I missed the signs. So too, it seems, did my wife, supervisors, co-workers, friends, and family. You better get busy, warning them. Apparently, I'm a ticking time bomb.

To counter your less than enlightened statements, I offer for your perusal, the 2011 FBI statistics relating to felonious murders, and assaults on police officers.

Murders: 72. 69 of those were male, 3 female. The US Department of Labor indicates there are approximately 800,000 officers and detectives in the United States. That gives us a murder rate of 9 murders per 100,000 officers, per year. Compared to a rate of 4.8 per 100,000 for the average person, a police officer is nearly twice as likely to be murdered.

Assaults: In 2011, the FBI collected assault data from 11,944 law enforcement agencies that employed 535,651 officers. These officers provided service to more than 251 million persons, or 80.6 percent of the nation’s population. Law enforcement agencies reported that 54,774 officers were assaulted while performing their duties in 2011. The rate of officer assaults in 2011 was 10.2 per 100 sworn officers. Similarly, the FBI reported 751,131 aggravated assaults in 2012. That yields a rate of 241.1 assaults per 100,000 citizens, or 2.411 per 100 citizens. The assault rate on police officers is greater than FOUR times the rate of assaults on citizens.

And yet you have the audacity to suggest "It's a myth that cops are targeted and attacked daily. There are no stats that say such, especially in Charlotte," and that those who DARE go counter to YOUR assertions are depraved? You have some nerve, friend. Of course, I suppose if your greatest personal risk is a paper cut, that it's easy to make such comments. Feel free to have a look at the FBI stats, if you want to challenge my data.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Cops run towards danger... of course they will see more gunfire and attacks than the average person but this is what they trained and signed up to do.

Those stats don't give them the right to shoot at an unarmed man 12 times.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Chicago has nothing to do with this case.... very weak attempt to distract from this case. You could start a thread in Politics and Controversy if you want to talk about
black on black crimes.
I think it is very relevant to this case. Chicago was an example but it is an issue in Charlotte as well. The NAACP has already spoken out and held a rally here in this case and plans to hold more. I don't know if they actually believe racism in every encounter, no matter what the outcome between a white police officer and a black person, but they need the publicity to stay relevant. Seriously, what good is it to hold rallies and making false claims of racism and shout "no justice no peace"? Is this really helping ANYTHING?

Nothing will be good enough for them, as if the record speed which CMPD charged one of their own wasn't enough, they want the charges "upgraded"....because they NEED something to protest

Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Cops run towards danger... of course they will see more gunfire and attacks than the average person but this is what they trained and signed up to do.

Those stats don't give them the right to shoot at an unarmed man 12 times.
It was 10, but don't let "facts" get in the way of an otherwise biased series of posts.

Do the job for a while, and come back and tell me your thoughts.

The dashcam video shows he either had both hands out in front of him, as he ran toward Kerrick, or that he had one hand partially concealed. If the latter proves to be the case, there's no question of justification. If the former proves true, Kerrick will be tried by a jury of his peers, with the standard in determining guilt based on how "reasonable" officers would have acted in his situation. In no way, will the decision be affected by how many shots he fired, if the intent of firing was to incapacitate anyway. Dead is dead, whether he fired 1 bullet or 100 bullets. That's why it's called "deadly force."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte