U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm a little surprised so I want to be clear.,

You believe the man was attempting a burglary? And that he was legally drunk? Really?
yes he's a moron, sad part is, others agree with him. These are the same people that support DUI checkpoints asking innocent people what they are doing. Yea that's in line with the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,046,923 times
I'm going to give my opinion and get off this thread.

What happened is tragic, not only for the young man that was killed but for the officer that killed him. In my heart, I believe that most officers that actually kill someone accidentally or through their own negligence suffer with guilt for the rest of their lives.

Having said that, I don't know what the law(NC) actually says about this type of killing. The officer was on duty. Doesn't he have some type of protection simply because he is an officer? He should absolutely loose his job and benefits. CMPD should absolutely be liable to the family. But other than that, I don't know. Is negligence enough to charge someone with a form of manslaughter?

And yes, race absolutely plays into this. It plays into the way the homeowner responded. It plays into how the officer perceived the victim. It plays into the way people in this view this situation and how they speak of both of the officer and the victim. It is especially telling in the way the victim is/was characterized - thug, criminal, aggressive. That doesn't mean that all those folks are racists, but it does mean that race can color our perceptions and interactions.

All in all, it is sad. And there are a bunch of folks posting that should be ashamed at their response to this tragedy.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would think all any of us want is a fair examination of the facts of the case.

A man is dead. Of course there should be a trial. Even if the situation were totally clear cut, seems to me that the fact that a man who was not actively engaging in criminal behavior was shot dead deserves an unbiased look at the facts of that night.

I think his family deserves that, as well.
I agree...

Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM

564 posts, read 1,252,512 times
I think it is a shame this officer is being thrown under the bus by this department and other individuals. I think the biggest issue with this officer was the number of times he fired. Which is my mind is a training issue.

Keep in mind what they knew at the time of the shooting. Large individual beating down the door of a woman home alone in the middle of the night. What do they find on seen? A large individual running toward them. Non lethal force attempted and failed. (again a possible training issue of another officer) Next step lethal force which worked.

What do people expect the officers to do. Carry on a full conversation with this guy and try to figure out all the possibilities before using force?

I can hear the conversation now. OK large individual charging at us in the dark of night after pounding on this nice ladies door. Are you a bad guy that wants me dead or were you drunk driving and wrecked your car in the woods a mile or so away and need help?

I also think the outcome would have been the same if it was white guy, purple guy or a red guy. I have a lot of friends that are police officers in several jurisdictions. I have spoke with several of them and the conversation always comes back to training and perception. I just hope the truth comes out and this family and our city can mourn and move on.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM

I have a problem with folks continuing to say the victim was drunk or high when the toxicology report states the exact opposite. He was NOT drunk

Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM

564 posts, read 1,252,512 times
Toxicology report says he was .06. I would not say exact opposite. He still had alcohol in his system. I personally only saw one report mentioning drugs and it was from someone who claimed to see him but obviously not inhis system.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM

You said he was drunk driving. That is not correct. When something isnt true, it is false. Those are opposites. Making false statements to colors one's perception of the victim is beyond sad.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,348,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I think it is a shame this officer is being thrown under the bus by this department and other individuals. I think the biggest issue with this officer was the number of times he fired. Which is my mind is a training issue.
It isn't a training issue...

If it's a training issue why aren't other officers emptying the clip into unarmed civilians?

The whole reason this is going to trial is because Kerrick didn't follow the proper training.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:28 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
He was engaged in criminal activity of attempted burglary and drunk driving why do you think the police were called to begin with. So we don't get one grand jury to find pc so we shop for another one , wow that case sounds solid I can't wait until the defense brings that up at trial
What is the name of the judge that allowed another grand jury to hear this case? The news only called him the judge. Can you imagine what the NAACP would be saying if this happened to a black police officer that had shot a white man? How about just a little bit of justice for the police officer in this case? There is right and there is wrong in our court system and this is WRONG. Nothing good will come of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/28...-judge-allows/

I will continue to pray for this police officer that he will be strong enough to withstand the onslaught of injustice. And I will be more careful the next time I am voting for attorney generals and judges in this state.

Last edited by NCN; 01-28-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM

557 posts, read 568,905 times
Whats funny their is a racist group protesting the officer who actually calls themselves..THUG!....This is who the Attorney General is listening too. I would like to know what color the judge was who allowed this..maybe he is a racist also or allowed groups like THUG to make his decisions for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte