U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 AM

310 posts, read 591,938 times

Advertisements

Random observation: A burglar in the middle of the night generally doesn't bang on the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM

2,839 posts, read 4,158,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Random observation: A burglar in the middle of the night generally doesn't bang on the door.
I have received several e-mails through our neighborhood safety communications indicating there have been a number of break-ins in our area where the perp knocked and rang the doorbell before breaking in. In one case the homeowner was at home but was on the phone and wasn't going to answer the door. The police believe the burglar was convinced there was no one at home since the door went unanswered.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,745 times
Quote:
I don't know how many people have ever had a person bang on their door in the middle of the night. I have at 2am. Wake up think I heard a bang. Thought, nah just a dream lay there for a minute and hear it again. It that point I jump out of bed with my gun. Man banging on the door to let him in. I have the wife call 911 all the while I never take my aim off the door. The simple fool then goes around and looks in my window. Only after screaming at him does he get in his car and leave. It will shake you. Nobody should be knocking on my door in the middle of the night. Period.

I feel so bad for this man's family. The officers are at fault, all 3 of them, however I can't fault the lady who called 911.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 AM

11,773 posts, read 9,378,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I don't know how many people have ever had a person bang on their door in the middle of the night. I have at 2am. Wake up think I heard a bang. Thought, nah just a dream lay there for a minute and hear it again. It that point I jump out of bed with my gun. Man banging on the door to let him in. I have the wife call 911 all the while I never take my aim off the door. The simple fool then goes around and looks in my window. Only after screaming at him does he get in his car and leave. It will shake you. Nobody should be knocking on my door in the middle of the night. Period.

I feel so bad for this man's family. The officers are at fault, all 3 of them, however I can't fault the lady who called 911.
Nothing wrong with calling 911 at 2:30 AM if you hear someone banging on your door.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Nothing wrong with calling 911 at 2:30 AM if you hear someone banging on your door.
nope I did and left the police handle it. Lucky for my guys the police were level headed.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,425,196 times
Quote:
You are right a burglar does not but someone about to conduct a home invasion might.

Look out for the 'knock knock' home invasion - AmericaNowNews.com

Knock on the door was a home invasion | Jacksonville.com

Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
I think that, given that investigations into police actions usually move at a glacial place, it is fair game to assume that something terrible happened given the fact that charges have already been brought--and yeah, it's only voluntary manslaughter, but how often does even that happen? I'm not clairvoyant, but I wouldn't be surprised if the officer's companions or a video recording yielded up something that CMPD knew they wouldn't be able to explain away.

The rumor mill is already working about past incidents regarding this officer. They could be false, but they could be true as well. I doubt this occured out of nowhere.
Can you provide a source for the information about "past incidents regarding this officer" ?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM

I was surprised that the officer was charged so quickly. People say that if this were a civilian they would have been charged with murder right away. I remember shop owners in Charlotte recently who shot would be robbers and they were not immediately arrested and in fact later found to be justified.

Unfortunately, it does appear in my opinion that CMPD and the chief were already feeling the heat and thought it would be better PR to go ahead and charge the officer to try to ward off accusations and limit liability.

It is truly stunning at the speed at which this officer was charged, not even a day goes by.

Remember when the CMPD officer that was in a wreck that killed a woman in 2009, the officer from the onset was known to be speeding (111 MPH) without lights or siren. He was not even charged until months later, after a complete investigation and after CMPD presented the case to the D.A. . Why the rush this time?

CMPD did not even wait for toxicology reports or to even complete the investigation and the chief had already contacted the mans family with his condolences.

You can trust this is not normal protocol for CMPD in officer related cases. Something else is going on.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 PM

140 posts, read 202,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Can you provide a source for the information about "past incidents regarding this officer" ?
Officer in shooting was suspended for day last year | CharlotteObserver.com

Plus there is a woman on the Observer comments saying that last year he slammed her into her car because her toddler son took a candle out of a store (unknown to her).

Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Officer in shooting was suspended for day last year | CharlotteObserver.com

Plus there is a woman on the Observer comments saying that last year he slammed her into her car because her toddler son took a candle out of a store (unknown to her).
The officer was suspended for 8 hours actually. Sounds pretty minor like showing up late to work.

The "commenter" on a website who made some bogus claim carries no weight.....

I also read that Mr. Ferrell was charged with a misdemeanor in Florida in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte