U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:15 PM

2,841 posts, read 4,162,792 times

Advertisements

I am sorry that a man died however, the video clearly proved that Ferrell was at fault. I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation for him charging at officer Kerrick.

I wish Ferrell had screamed for help, sat down on the ground, raised his arms and yelled - anything but charged at an officer. What happened was tragic but justified.

It is sad that some people continue to say they want 'justice'. They don't want justice they want revenge at the expense of an innocent man. That does not sit well with most people - me included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I am sorry that a man died however, the video clearly proved that Ferrell was at fault. I have yet to hear any reasonable explanation for him charging at officer Kerrick.

I wish Ferrell had screamed for help, sat down on the ground, raised his arms and yelled - anything but charged at an officer. What happened was tragic but justified.

It is sad that some people continue to say they want 'justice'. They don't want justice they want revenge at the expense of an innocent man. That does not sit well with most people - me included.
+5
I can't rep you again but you summed up my feelings on this exactly.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post

In my opinion deadly force wasn't warranted in this case, especially with other officers on the scene. There are several factors that caused this situation to end in tragedy, (1) is the obvious fear that most white America harbors towards young black males (though reluctant to admit) and Kerrick probably harbors a fair amount of those perceptions and reacted accordingly. (2) lack of training to address these volatile situations that could result in unarmed and innocent civilians being killed. Even worse, the LEO getting killed but unfortunately that's part of the job, the risk they take when committing to this type of work. (3) Everybody isn't cut from the mold to be a LEO, it's tough, this person might not be.

There are 100s/1000s of these incidents that happen everyday where both black and white civilians are apprehended alive...this isn't an out of the norm situation for LEOs that have to deal with crazy ass people all day, however, unarmed and innocent civilians ended up dead is not the norm. And in too many cases young black males get killed for no other reason than being black due to the aforementioned fear and trigger happy cops.

I don't think it's revenge but clearly a portion of the American public will continue to respond with enough is enough. The problem is much more deep-rooted than so-called "justice" directed at the Kerrick case. The police the police movement didn't start from a groundswell of people determined to bring attention to the problem, tried that for years but never gained much tractions. The police the police movement came about through technology (not the Car-cam..they know that's there), but the Iphone which has stirred the pot a lot more than the one-time Rodney King video caption....it's every where and changing the way they do business.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:37 AM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
In my opinion deadly force wasn't warranted in this case, especially with other officers on the scene. There are several factors that caused this situation to end in tragedy, (1) is the obvious fear that most white America harbors towards young black males (though reluctant to admit) and Kerrick probably harbors a fair amount of those perceptions and reacted accordingly. (2) lack of training to address these volatile situations that could result in unarmed and innocent civilians being killed. Even worse, the LEO getting killed but unfortunately that's part of the job, the risk they take when committing to this type of work. (3) Everybody isn't cut from the mold to be a LEO, it's tough, this person might not be.

There are 100s/1000s of these incidents that happen everyday where both black and white civilians are apprehended alive...this isn't an out of the norm situation for LEOs that have to deal with crazy ass people all day, however, unarmed and innocent civilians ended up dead is not the norm. And in too many cases young black males get killed for no other reason than being black due to the aforementioned fear and trigger happy cops.

I don't think it's revenge but clearly a portion of the American public will continue to respond with enough is enough. The problem is much more deep-rooted than so-called "justice" directed at the Kerrick case. The police the police movement didn't start from a groundswell of people determined to bring attention to the problem, tried that for years but never gained much tractions. The police the police movement came about through technology (not the Car-cam..they know that's there), but the Iphone which has stirred the pot a lot more than the one-time Rodney King video caption....it's every where and changing the way they do business.
The problem with calling Officers Kerrick trigger happy & therefore putting blame on him is that it was well established in the trial that Kerrick & other officers were told by a supervisor to back up a taser with deadly force. The officer followed instructions.

The prosecution seemed to think that the dashcam video helped them. What part of it worked for you? Mr Ferrell charged 2 officers for a reason that is not apparent to me. Verbal warnings can be heard on the tape prior to the shots. Mr Ferrell's blood was on Officer Kerrick's uniform consistent with the testimony of the officers at the scene that Mr Ferrell continued to advance after the warnings & after the shooting commenced.

What part of Mr Ferrell's actions were right? Given that Officer Kerrick followed instructions when he drew his gun, the only way that the outcome is different is on Mr Ferrell.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 AM

2,841 posts, read 4,162,792 times
Quote:

So your 'factors in the tragedy' are all everyone elses fault? That seems to be the common theme. You honestly believe that Ferrells charging Kerrick played no part in his death? That says to me that you have your own agenda. You are willing to overlook the facts of the case.

I am sorry Ferrell is dead but his actions led to his death. Another officer testified that Ferrell said 'shoot me' and the video clearly shows him charging Kerrick. What the heck do you think were his intentions? He may have been unarmed (we know this after the fact) but he clearly was not innocent.

We need to hold our police officers accountable but when the facts back them up we need to stand with them. Too bad some people are willing to overlook the facts at all costs.

Many people formed their opinions about this case before the facts were heard (see the first few pages of this thread). After the facts came out most people agreed that Kerrick was not guilty. Some people still insist Kerrick was at fault but they won't explain his charging the officer or saying 'shoot me'.

I am not willing to sacrifice an innocent officer just because some people aren't willing to admit the facts.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:46 AM

557 posts, read 570,655 times
Quote:

America has a right to harbor fear towards young black males, who do you think commits a majority of the violent crime in American cities , hint : it's not whites or Hispanics. From what I understand the CMPD police academy has one of the best training programs in the country. This training was used that night on Ferrell when a non lethal option was deployed on him and did not work. So Officer Kerrick should have waited for this animal to assault him? possibly take his weapon away from him and use it against other officers and civilians? That thinking is a special kind of stupid. Every officer did not sign up to be killed and everyone of them has a right to go home safe to their families at the end of the day. This is what Kerrick did, went home to his family and protected the community from a wild out of control animal.

More people are fighting back against these thugs committing crimes , two were shot this week alone attempting a carjacking and a robbery of a store by civilians. I think the current administration in office made black males feel entitled or untouchable and that is why the rise in violent crimes committed by them and no fear of police catching them. You are right cameras are catching these incidents just like the officers camera caught Ferrell out of control and acting like a wild animal which exonerated the officer. The case was so weak the prosecutor had to grand jury shop to get an indictment. The black community better start addressing thugs and crime in their own backyard before police misconduct. Who shot and killed 45 people in Baltimore and Chicago last month, hint: it wasn't the police or the KKK. So as soon as the black community gets their act together , black males will get more respect from white and Hispanics. I am Hispanic by the way, every time something goes wrong you don't see Hispanics going through a city burning down taco shops or a CVS. For now blue lives matter , thugs lives don't.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
Quote:

I had a really snotty, though fact filled, response to this post. I deleted it.

Big, A., I generally like your posts and respect your opinions, but we get to the race/victimization issues, and wow, we end up on really different sides of the fence. Instantaneously!

I am sorry about that, and think it bodes ill for the ol US of A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte