U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,767,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The officer was suspended for 8 hours actually. Sounds pretty minor like showing up late to work.

The "commenter" on a website who made some bogus claim carries no weight.....

I also read that Mr. Ferrell was charged with a misdemeanor in Florida in 2011.
I also read he held two jobs and had not issues in NC, probably from the same article.

What does *either* have to do with him being shot and killed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,445,233 times
3 bullets is not excessive by any stretch. You shoot to stop the threat. Now, if there were 20 bullets in the guy, that would certainly be excessive. Real life isn't like the movies where one shot drops a guy instantly.

I was unable to locate any information regarding height and weight of Ferrell, but we can all safely assume he wasn't a small-fry by any stretch. If I have someone his size moving quickly in my direction, and refusing verbal orders to stop, I'd most likely be pulling the trigger as well. I've been in that neighborhood often, and it isn't as well-lit in some spots as a few people may believe.

So, dark, late, large male moving quickly towards me, refusing commands to stop. I know what I'm thinking in that case. And it sure as heck isn't that he's coming and asking for help. If he would have just said "Hey, I've been in a crash and I need help" this could have been prevented. He was of sound enough mind to go seek out a neighbor for help, so you'd have to think he was of sound enough mind to understand what the officers were saying to him.

Just my two cents as a second-string armchair quarterback.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:33 PM

838 posts, read 657,154 times
Luckily with no priors it's possible to never step foot in a cell with involuntary manslaughter. He will like get a record and x years supervised or unsupervised probation along with some fines. I think it's possible to even cut most of that off.. He's a cop with friends inside the legal system that regulates itself..

Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
This story sickens me. That poor guy. He gets killed because he's looking for help after an accident. It's atrocious. Change that guy's color to white and run the same scenario. I will bet my life that the outcome is very different. First of all, the door probably would have been answered. The police wouldn't have been called. The guy would have woken up the next day mad that his insurance rates were about to rise. Instead, we have a family grieving and (most likely) VERY angry. I know I'd be angry beyond belief....if not now, in the coming days, weeks and months. We'll have a very expensive public trial in that will be influenced by the amount of justice that the defendant can afford. I'm sure that a segment of the public will help fund the defense via donation websites. I suspect that these will be some of the same people who are already calling the new Indian-American Miss America "a terrorist". A public outcry on both sides of the case will ensue and be bolstered by various talking heads, etc. I expect this guy to walk ala George Zimmerman and for NC to give America yet another to laugh at us this year. UGH!!!!

Old 09-16-2013, 02:09 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,284,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Luckily with no priors it's possible to never step foot in a cell with involuntary manslaughter. He will like get a record and x years supervised or unsupervised probation along with some fines. I think it's possible to even cut most of that off.. He's a cop with friends inside the legal system that regulates itself..
It's voluntary manslaughter. Not involuntary.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
I am very troubled by this. What troubles me the most is . . . the deceased young man could have been any of us after an accident.

Why did the police see him as threatening?

Why did they not take evasive measures rather than using force?

Why were so many rounds fired?

Why did the other officers NOT shoot at the young man, i.e., why did this one officer feel so "threatened?"

I have been in a serious car accident and know how disorienting it can be (totaled vehicle). People could have mistaken me for being drunk the way I was stumbling after crawling out of my car (head injury).

We are taught that law enforcement is there to help us in times of need. There is something sooooo wrong about this story . . . and of course, we dont' know the facts.

But here is one fact, and it is the only one that really matters: the young man is dead.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 AM

6,272 posts, read 10,033,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why did the police see him as threatening?

Why did they not take evasive measures rather than using force?

Why were so many rounds fired?

Why did the other officers NOT shoot at the young man, i.e., why did this one officer feel so "threatened?"
Here is the short answer to all of your questions. Within every profession, there are unfit people on payroll. Often times, these unfit people make minor mistakes over and over again. Sometimes though, these type of people goof up BIG TIME.

Some folks are now calling for better diversity training for officers, but that's not the issue. As others have stated already, cops (at one point in the past) accepted the fact that they could be killed on their jobs. Some cops of today have not accepted this fact and will do ANYTHING to keep death from happening to themselves. These type of people should not be cops. However, the relatively low pay and potentially high danger is a turnoff to many level-headed and educated applicants. As a result, police departments are often forced to take what they can get (while hoping that none of their questionable hires gets the department involved in a costly lawsuit).

Old 09-17-2013, 05:39 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,057,220 times
I read last night that he was shot 10 times and that the officer fired 12 rounds.

Ten is far different than three.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:21 AM

8,135 posts, read 2,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This story sickens me. That poor guy. He gets killed because he's looking for help after an accident. It's atrocious. Change that guy's color to white and run the same scenario. I will bet my life that the outcome is very different. First of all, the door probably would have been answered. The police wouldn't have been called. The guy would have woken up the next day mad that his insurance rates were about to rise. Instead, we have a family grieving and (most likely) VERY angry. I know I'd be angry beyond belief....if not now, in the coming days, weeks and months. We'll have a very expensive public trial in that will be influenced by the amount of justice that the defendant can afford. I'm sure that a segment of the public will help fund the defense via donation websites. I suspect that these will be some of the same people who are already calling the new Indian-American Miss America "a terrorist". A public outcry on both sides of the case will ensue and be bolstered by various talking heads, etc. I expect this guy to walk ala George Zimmerman and for NC to give America yet another to laugh at us this year. UGH!!!!

By what twisted mode of logic do you come to the conclusion that everything went down the way it did solely because the guy was black and that things would be any different if he was white?
If someone wakes me up, banging on my door in the middle of the night, I would be suspicious enough to call the police no matter what color they were.
Assuming this all happened the way it did because the victim was black is straight from the Al Sharpton school of ambulance chasing reverse racism.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I read last night that he was shot 10 times and that the officer fired 12 rounds.

Ten is far different than three.
^ ^ ^ Exactly. And that is the most damning piece of evidence. Why on earth would anyone have to fire 12 rounds, hitting someone 10 times?

It is classic "overkill" (and I apologize for that word - I do not know how else to describe it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte