U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 PM

367 posts, read 562,059 times

Advertisements

CMPD officer charged for shooting, killing unarmed 24-year-old | www.wsoctv.com

This will get really ugly. Hate it for all who's involved, especially the victim's family. Could you imaging having to drive from Florida to Charlotte knowing that your fiancé/sibling/child is dead?

I hope this doesn't become another media blitz on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:02 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
CMPD officer charged for shooting, killing unarmed 24-year-old | www.wsoctv.com

This will get really ugly. Hate it for all who's involved, especially the victim's family. Could you imaging having to drive from Florida to Charlotte knowing that your fiancé/sibling/child is dead?

I hope this doesn't become another media blitz on race.
Ill be the first to say it! Officer will be found not guilty. They will never get a jury to convict.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,283,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Ill be the first to say it! Officer will be found not guilty. They will never get a jury to convict.
I don't know. Seems like a pretty cut and dry case to me. The guy was running toward them for help.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't know. Seems like a pretty cut and dry case to me. The guy was running toward them for help.
Not saying its right but I bet he gets off. All he has to do is say he felt his life was in danger. He was tasered and didn't stop. Man gets a good lawyer and he's getting off. I agree it should b cut in dry. In the old days he would have gotten a baton to the legs, but u can't do that anymore

Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,668,849 times
So based on what's in the news, the police get a call that a man was trying to break into a woman's home. Police arrive, see the man they were told was breaking into a woman's home. The man "charged" at the officers (as Rodney Monroe said) and apparently one officer felt threatened enough to discharge his Taser which for some reason did not work or was not effective. Another officer felt threatened enough to discharge his firearm. The results were terrible for all involved.

I don't know none of us were there, but now we are all Monday morning quarterbacks sitting in the comfort of our homes casting judgement. We say to ourselves "seeeeee? This guy did not have a weapon." A fact no one knew at the time. (after all people can seriously injure someone or worse without a weapon).

**But officers are forced to make split second decisions in rapidly evolving situations, unlike any other profession in our society today, and then they have their decisions, whatever they were, ripped apart**

The question will be, did the officer have reason to fear for his life or that he would have been seriously injured? Only he can answer this.

You have to ask yourself if you were in that situation, night/early morning, a complete stranger you have probably ordered to stop, is continuing to run/charge at you....what do you think this person will do when he gets to you? Give you a hug? Or harm you?

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM

140 posts, read 202,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
So based on what's in the news, the police get a call that a man was trying to break into a woman's home. Police arrive, see the man they were told was breaking into a woman's home. The man "charged" at the officers (as Rodney Monroe said) and apparently one officer felt threatened enough to discharge his Taser which for some reason did not work or was not effective. Another officer felt threatened enough to discharge his firearm. The results were terrible for all involved.

I don't know none of us were there, but now we are all Monday morning quarterbacks sitting in the comfort of our homes casting judgement. We say to ourselves "seeeeee? This guy did not have a weapon." A fact no one knew at the time. (after all people can seriously injure someone or worse without a weapon).

**But officers are forced to make split second decisions in rapidly evolving situations, unlike any other profession in our society today, and then they have their decisions, whatever they were, ripped apart**

The question will be, did the officer have reason to fear for his life or that he would have been seriously injured? Only he can answer this.

You have to ask yourself if you were in that situation, night/early morning, a complete stranger you have probably ordered to stop, is continuing to run/charge at you....what do you think this person will do when he gets to you? Give you a hug? Or harm you?
Or...

A guy knocked on a woman's door for help after a wreck. She saw he was black so she assumed he was trying to rob her--even though it is perfectly logical that you would knock on someone's door before robbing them, right? The police came and didn't bother to question that flaw in her story, so when they found the guy and he started moving toward him, they tased him. Especially with larger and stronger men, a taser doesn't always knock out the target. Probably very disoriented, the victim kept moving towards them. So they shot him--because, you know, why else would a black guy keep running toward demonstrably armed police unless his intent was to attack them with his bare hands?

I'm sorry, but race does play in this, and racism is not over because white people say it is. There are gaping holes in this story that cannot be explained unless one accounts for it.

EDIT: Also, I have known older law enforcement officials and younger law enforcement officials. The older guys accepted that their job involved some risk to themselves and that sometimes they would have to put themselves at risk in order to protect the public. The younger guys--and this officer was a younger guy--have the mentality that THEIR safety is first. It is definitely a generational gap.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM

2,841 posts, read 4,162,792 times
Quote:

So true.
Why did another officer first use a taser unless he too felt threatened?
If the facts are as stated - I do not think the officer will be found guilty.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
So true.
Why did another officer first use a taser unless he too felt threatened?
If the facts are as stated - I do not think the officer will be found guilty.
There were three officers to one guy. They could have tackled him when the Taser didn't work. Deadly force is only to be used when lives are in danger. I am not comfortable living in a world where people can be shot because an officer "didn't know if the guy had a gun or not." If he didn't know, he damn well should not have shot. And three times, too. The logic of saying it's ok because the officer 'didn't know if he had a gun or not' is not reasonable. It's a dangerous precedent to set. It's voluntary manslaughter. There are extenuating circumstances that call for a lighter sentence than a classic murder case, but the guy should still do some years, especially if he is tried in Meck. Of course, his lawyers might get it moved out to Podunk like the case in NY a few years back where they shot an African immigrant who was reaching for his wallet. In that case, he might get a more sympathetic jury of lily white country people who are scared of cities.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theory87 View Post
Or...

A guy knocked on a woman's door for help after a wreck. She saw he was black so she assumed he was trying to rob her--even though it is perfectly logical that you would knock on someone's door before robbing them, right? The police came and didn't bother to question that flaw in her story, so when they found the guy and he started moving toward him, they tased him. Especially with larger and stronger men, a taser doesn't always knock out the target. Probably very disoriented, the victim kept moving towards them. So they shot him--because, you know, why else would a black guy keep running toward demonstrably armed police unless his intent was to attack them with his bare hands?

I'm sorry, but race does play in this, and racism is not over because white people say it is. There are gaping holes in this story that cannot be explained unless one accounts for it.

EDIT: Also, I have known older law enforcement officials and younger law enforcement officials. The older guys accepted that their job involved some risk to themselves and that sometimes they would have to put themselves at risk in order to protect the public. The younger guys--and this officer was a younger guy--have the mentality that THEIR safety is first. It is definitely a generational gap.
Why do you ASSUME that the lady who called the police is racist? What race is the caller, do you know that or are you assuming that?

I would expect MOST people would, when some stranger, no matter their race, is pounding on their door at 230 am would be concerned enough to call the police at the very least. Its not Mayberry anywhere and if someone is beating on my door in the middle of the night I'm not going to think it's Ed McMahon with a giant check for me, most likely its a bad thing.

How would the caller know what the man wanted? All the caller knows is this: a man is banging on my door, I think he is trying to break in. That's apparently all the officers on scene knew at the time.

Would you expect your family member to open their door to strangers pounding on it in the middle of the night? (which according to the media she did open the door thinking it was her husband at first then slamming the door when she saw it wasn't).

Why would someone run towards an officer with their weapon drawn? That seems to raise the fear on the part of the officer even more.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Why do you ASSUME that the lady who called the police is racist? What race is the caller, do you know that or are you assuming that?

I would expect MOST people would, when some stranger, no matter their race, is pounding on their door at 230 am would be concerned enough to call the police at the very least. Its not Mayberry anywhere and if someone is beating on my door in the middle of the night I'm not going to think it's Ed McMahon with a giant check for me, most likely its a bad thing.

How would the caller know what the man wanted? All the caller knows is this: a man is banging on my door, I think he is trying to break in. That's apparently all the officers on scene knew at the time.

Would you expect your family member to open their door to strangers pounding on it in the middle of the night?

Why would someone run towards an officer with their weapon drawn? That seems to raise the fear on the part of the officer even more.
I don't fault the woman for calling the police. Though she could have found out a bit more what the guy wanted through the door. Knocking on a door does not constitute breaking and entering. Its not illegal at all. The man was obviously disoriented from the severe crash, so he may not have been making a lot of sense. But police are trained to deal with disoriented people, and shooting at them, especially when you have a 3-to-1 advantage is not how you handle that.

Running toward to ask for help and 'charging' may have looked similar.

This is a case of people being scared of unlikely events and assuming the worse of others. This time, an innocent person got killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte