Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times

Advertisements

I am in need of a wi fi hotspot and would be using it in and around South End Charlotte. I have checked the Karma website (my use would be intermittent, so I don't need a "real" wireless plan) and they show coverage in the areas I need it. However, their reviews are spotty, with people saying that where it works it works great, but that their maps don't necessarily correlate with reality.
SO, I'm wondering if anyone here has used this device/service in Charlotte, in and around Uptown/south end.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
McDonalds, Starbucks, Panera...all offer free wi fi

Not sure why you would need anything else if that is all you were looking for?

Old 09-07-2013, 08:05 AM

I need the wi fi to get online for my job, cannot use public wi fi.
Appreciate the assumption that I have the intelligence of a rock.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,570 times
Since you cannot use public (open) WiFi hotspots, perhaps you should consider a pre-paid 3 or 4G service from one of the carriers https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/250021 or Walmart is now selling AT&T's prepaid DataConnect Pass & USB Modem. I am sure that there are more out there, I just searched for Verizon and AT&T.

OK, it ain't free but it is secure and you can use it anyplace you have network coverage which, is most places today. You would pretty much only pay for what data you chose to use.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM

59 posts, read 174,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I need the wi fi to get online for my job, cannot use public wi fi.
Appreciate the assumption that I have the intelligence of a rock.
Lol. Why is it that you cannot use public WiFi for work? Is it that you need a secure connection? Karma is an awesome concept but it is not secure WiFi. That's their model. You purchase the data for what you use but allow others to use your connection. So Karma would not work good for you. I am in 28270 and their website said I would have great connection. Good concept but I need more coverage than what they offer.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Using Karma now, in and around uptown. They're not so picky about secure, but rather Public....chances of someone logging into my wifi where I am are slim...I'm not banking or doing anything super secure. Karma is working for me for what I need, my company, if they check, will see I'm not at Starbucks or McDs or any place like that.
Karma is running pretty fast, almost as fast as my home internet, barely noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: