Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

"Jo-Mar Spinning will halt operations in Belmont, eliminating 145 jobs within the next two weeks."

"He blamed increased imports, specifically additional U.S. trade with Canada and Mexico brought on by the NAFTA, as the cause of the closing."

Jo-Mar Spinning to shutter, dismiss 145 employees within 2 weeks - Charlotte Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 AM

159 posts, read 335,042 times
Well the textile industry in the US is on death's door, it's not surprising Jo-Mar is shutting down. The parent company makes apparels, and apparel makers have been shifting away from Latin America and moving to Asian countries. I think the blaming on NAFTA is just an excuse.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle704 View Post
well the textile industry in the us is on death's door, it's not surprising jo-mar is shutting down. The parent company makes apparels, and apparel makers have been shifting away from latin america and moving to asian countries. I think the blaming on nafta is just an excuse.
x2

Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
It surely isn't that we don't have a NEED for these products. So if it isn't trade and offshoring manufacturing, what is it? We can't compete w/ cheaper production of these goods.

Do you know for a FACT that the textile business has shifted to Asia rather than Mexico and Canada? I honestly do not know.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It surely isn't that we don't have a NEED for these products. So if it isn't trade and offshoring manufacturing, what is it? We can't compete w/ cheaper production of these goods.

Do you know for a FACT that the textile business has shifted to Asia rather than Mexico and Canada? I honestly do not know.
Does it really matter where it's shifted? It's been going on for a while now and companies need to adjust or market their products better in order to stay in business.

IMO I think this country has done a poor job with America First when it comes to advertising. Seems like everyone complains about NAFTA while enjoying the lower prices NAFTA is responsible for... reminds me of the Southpark Walmart episode where everyone bashed Walmart while walking into the store.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
IMO I think this country has done a poor job with America First when it comes to advertising. Seems like everyone complains about NAFTA while enjoying the lower prices NAFTA is responsible for... reminds me of the Southpark Walmart episode where everyone bashed Walmart while walking into the store.
I once heard it said that labor represents only 10% of the cost of making a product. Any thoughts on that?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's a race to the bottom.

I can't believe that Americans are so short sighted, as not to see this.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Does it really matter where it's shifted?

Well, yes, it matters in the context of this thread as someone said that it was "just an excuse" to put the "blame" for closures on NAFTA.

I was simply asking for a clarification.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Many people assume foreign made is cheaper and better. Not true all the time. We occasionally shop at Walmart and I always look for American made products of what I am looking for. Sometimes I find them and many times not. If you don't look and just assume it's not available you will never find it.

I am a strong believer that if you want Americans to buy your products then you should pay them to manufacture them also.

Many people will only buy foreign and they should be thankful that their employer doesn't think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte