Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,414,321 times

Advertisements

Would any members who were discussing the above with me please either send a DM or post here please?
Appreciate it
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM

anyone? Not looking for realtor recommendations ()just want someone to talk to!

Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 PM

161 posts, read 303,386 times
I am looking for a flat fee realtor as well!! I have a lot that we are interested in listing.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:35 AM

I sent you a DM.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,942,136 times
Whatsthenews ... I was posting previously ... what's the news with your foray into flat flee listings?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Hi!
Very busy weekend with viewings and 2 viewing requests from buyers agents- these were all just from people seeing our sign and/or Zillow FSBO posting(posted on Zillow 8 days ago and sign up on Wednesday). 4 viewings-one was a buyers agent who actually came and looked at the house in Feb' with a view to working as our sellers agent, made mostly negative noises and said he would get back to us whe he'd looked at the comps and never did!.
Listed on MLS on Saturday (we went with the cheapest $99 flat fee) and we had 3 calls from CSS yesterday with requests or viewings.
Yesterday we accepted an offer at 98% of the asking price.
Realize of course that we're in the early stages still and have appraisal and inspection still to come.

The flat fee agency were very good. Sent all the paperwork or the MLS listing- (online form submission)- I emailed photos, paid the fee via Paypal and then they sent all the legal documents we needed.
They got the house on the MLS within 24 hrs, sent us a copy and made 2 minor changes within 24 hrs even though it was the weekend. They responded to all emails very promptly and efficiently.
Once we had the legal docs and read through them the process made more sense, plus I asked some questions on a real estate forum (not here) and got some v. helpful answers.

Next step is to go to attorney and get escrow etc.

Things that probably helped to get so much interest and a quick offer.

The price and the unique selling points of the house ie non-waterfront but with lakefront land and dock across the street (good water) large lot, the location. However it's a difficult house to comp because of the unique set up and features below. Asking price was $185 per sq ft. Waterfront home of similar age/size on the street sold for $280 per sq ft in April. No other non-waterfront homes on the street have been sold since early 2012. A REA suggested $295k in March- but since then we've redone the Master bath/new paint and new HWH.

The new Master bath/HWH/ light fittings and paint (interior and exterior)

De-cluttering- not very difficult for us-I'm not a hoarder and even though we have an 18 year son I don't tolerate mess and disorder!

PHOTOS- I think I took about 100 photos to get the 16 for the listing. I have a compact camera, but it does have a decent Leica wide angle lens. I used pixlr.com (free online) to edit the contrast,color saturation,exposure etc and pixresizer (free download) to resize them to 600x480 for the MLS lsiting.

Neutral paint throughout but with consistent small accents of color throughout- eg in pictures, cushions, bedding etc

Originally the exterior of the house was dark brown with no accent colors ANYWHERE. We had previously painted it a green gray color. There's a large (16' x 14") storage building with a catslide roof between the house and the street. We don't mind it as it gives more privacy on the deck and front yard and doesn't block the lake view anywhere, plus it's invaluable as we don't have a garage. We added window boxes, painted the door/window frames the same color as those on the house (black and light taupe). So instead of trying to minimize it's appearance we "beautified" it and made it look like a smaller replica of the house.
With the strong exterior contrasting accent colors the windows look bigger and the house looks less ranchy and 198Os.

Lack of heavy, dark, traditional furniture and drapes- house is only 1800sqt and could be described as a ranch (built in 1980s), BUT we didn't- described it as a bungalow. It has too many non-ranch/80s features such as some antique doors, stained glass windows and loft areas accessed by old oak library ladders.

Good lighting!

New mulch everywhere- we got that when we had tree work (only 2 out of about 250 taken down, but lots limbed up and trimmed back) 4 weeks ago and spread it ourselves.
The yard has some lovely shrubs, grasses, succulents, ground cover etc. We had taken out a lot of (all!) the box and some other evergreen things that smelt like cats pee that were around the house and blocking the view of the yard at the top of the drive. The yard felt too " heavy" with all the evergreens and very few summer flowering plants.
Having said this it's not a manicured yard at all. Woodland paths lined with pine logs etc and the gravel drive is lined with old red bricks. Guess it has a "cottage" feel. Also have a veggie garden and compost heap.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM

177 posts, read 446,411 times
Great for you, Whatsthenews! We sold our house via flat fee listing last time and I said it takes a savvy seller to do this. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. Great photos, NO clutter, competitive price point, and staging will sell your home. Congrats.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,942,136 times
I echo aquafish41 ... fantastic! Hope you don't mind if I use your methods, Whatsthenews, when the time comes (which is soon) for us to list our house.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
Great for you, Whatsthenews! We sold our house via flat fee listing last time and I said it takes a savvy seller to do this. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. Great photos, NO clutter, competitive price point, and staging will sell your home. Congrats.

Thanks and yes- that does it- and some REAs won't tell people that they need to declutter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I echo aquafish41 ... fantastic! Hope you don't mind if I use your methods, Whatsthenews, when the time comes (which is soon) for us to list our house.
Of course not!

Also meant to say that the buyer is also going to purchase our kitty-included in the price -of course. They live in the same area.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:35 PM

16 posts, read 39,658 times
Whatsthenews, so happy you had such a quick and successful process! Obviously it was my paranoia talking about whether other agents would show! I am definitely going this rote next time! Glad you could be my guinea pig for the $99 flat fee company, lol. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte