U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,144,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatStandards View Post
@Charlotteborn, trust me, I understand way more about ad valorem tax assessment than you do. The point I am making is that a current value can be adjusted to reflect a pervious value. I explained it in detail in a earlier post. Please read it again if the concept is eluding you. I guarantee there are plenty of comps from 2010 that would justify a much higher assessment than 600k. They are readily avialible. By your lack of response to the question of this house being worth 12k .. I assume you got nothing.. again.
I seriously doubt that as you admitted to 'using his current listing as my proof his original tax value was more accurate than the new one'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 PM

5,877 posts, read 7,718,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The error I was talking about in that case was the error that was made on valuation of the land. I absolutely believe the current re-do could have been avoided if the assessors office would have admitted sooner that they had made gross errors. Why did it take so long for them to admit there were major errors? They could have corrected the tax values that they knew were unjustified and that would have saved taxpayers a huge amount of money. The tax assessors are paid to be the professionals and they should have been able to justify their values. If I made a mistake like that I would be fired too.

If your property was grossly overvalued and you had paid hundreds or thousands of dollars more in property taxes over 2011, 2012 and 2013 than you should have paid how would you feel? Thankfully, these dollars will now be refunded to those taxpayers with interest.
Didn't you already say your tax value was adjusted? So seems like they did admit their error in your case.

Deaton appealed his value and his appeal was denied. He used his political power (well technically the political power of his neighbor) to push his appeal moreso than most folks could.

In response to your last paragraph, that's why I think a good compromise would be to do a complete revaluation based on current values without issuing refunds. Technically they don't have to do another reval until 2019 I believe, so doing a new one would still be admitting their error. And if they did a new one now most likely most people values will be lower than as of 1/1/11, and the difference in paying a lower tax value for the next 5-6 years should make up for overpaying for the initial 3 years. And of course you don't have the added expense of mailing out checks to half the county.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well apparently Deaton is a big 'ole liar.

Here is an article from March: Former Charlotte official uses free sites to uncover disparities in Mecklenburg County’s 2011 revaluation | CharlotteObserver.com

Please stop defending this guy.
I am not sure what you are saying Deaton is lying about. Are you sure he has 'accepted' his revised tax value? Have his neighbors homes been revalued?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Didn't you already say your tax value was adjusted? So seems like they did admit their error in your case.

Deaton appealed his value and his appeal was denied. He used his political power (well technically the political power of his neighbor) to push his appeal moreso than most folks could.

In response to your last paragraph, that's why I think a good compromise would be to do a complete revaluation based on current values without issuing refunds. Technically they don't have to do another reval until 2019 I believe, so doing a new one would still be admitting their error. And if they did a new one now most likely most people values will be lower than as of 1/1/11, and the difference in paying a lower tax value for the next 5-6 years should make up for overpaying for the initial 3 years. And of course you don't have the added expense of mailing out checks to half the county.
Yes, they admitted making some errors (including mine) but very few values were corrected on the first appeal.

How did Deaton use political power 'moreso than most folks'? Everyone had to go thru the same appeals process.

If a new valuation was made based on current values how is that fair to the property owners that were overtaxed the last three years? I know some property owners that will likely be receiving more than $20,000 in refunds. Do you honestly think the county should be allowed to keep that money?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what you are saying Deaton is lying about. Are you sure he has 'accepted' his revised tax value? Have his neighbors homes been revalued?
The fact that he appealed to "re-appraisers" (which neither you nor I even know what that is) after his appeal was denied doesn't show you that he was primarily in it for himself?

I'm sorry, I guess I was assuming the term "everyone" meant the entire county and not just his neighbors...

Quote:
Yes, they admitted making some errors (including mine) but very few values were corrected on the first appeal.

How did Deaton use political power 'moreso than most folks'? Everyone had to go thru the same appeals process.

If a new valuation was made based on current values how is that fair to the property owners that were overtaxed the last three years? I know some property owners that will likely be receiving more than $20,000 in refunds. Do you honestly think the county should be allowed to keep that money?
Feels like deja vu all over again. His appeal was denied, and he had to go through "re-appraisers" (for the third time, whatever that means) to get his value lowered. You already admitted you didn't know what a re-appraiser was, what makes you think hardly anyone else if anyone at all would have known that was a possibility?

And to my knowledge the reval re-do bill was filed by a Senator (and former mayor) that was Deaton's neighbor...that's not using the political power of your friends to get what you want? And that's not even taking into consideration that Deaton used to be the Director of Transportation and I'm sure still has a lot of friends in government.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll say the result was correct (redoing the reval), but it seems pretty clear that Deaton's involvement was primarily to save himself money, not "for the good of the county" or some other BS.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
The fact that he appealed to "re-appraisers" (which neither you nor I even know what that is) after his appeal was denied doesn't show you that he was primarily in it for himself?

I'm sorry, I guess I was assuming the term "everyone" meant the entire county and not just his neighbors...

Feels like deja vu all over again. His appeal was denied, and he had to go through "re-appraisers" (for the third time, whatever that means) to get his value lowered. You already admitted you didn't know what a re-appraiser was, what makes you think hardly anyone else if anyone at all would have known that was a possibility?

And to my knowledge the reval re-do bill was filed by a Senator (and former mayor) that was Deaton's neighbor...that's not using the political power of your friends to get what you want? And that's not even taking into consideration that Deaton used to be the Director of Transportation and I'm sure still has a lot of friends in government.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll say the result was correct (redoing the reval), but it seems pretty clear that Deaton's involvement was primarily to save himself money, not "for the good of the county" or some other BS.
GoPhils - I don't know this guy Deaton and I don't know his property but I do think he has as much right as anyone to challenge his tax value. I have only heard of 're-appraisers' thru your posts but I assume there was a normal appeals process. Are you saying that because Deaton was originally 'denied' a change in value he should have accepted that? Most of the original appeals were 'denied'. That is why this re-do is occurring - because a lot of taxpayers that were originally denied knew their values were too high and they did not give up. Another issue with the 2011 tax valuations and appeals process is the fact that the process to appeal your tax value was very unclear. If its true that Deaton had 'friends in government' that helped him thru the appeals process what is wrong with that? I helped people thru the process (including a few members of City-Data thru direct messaging) too. Was that wrong?

Why should a single property owner be worried about the 'good of the county'? He was appealing his own tax value that was apparently overvalued. I personally am concerned about my tax value and how much I pay in taxes and whether is it based on a fair value as defined by the law. Of course he is concerned with saving himself money - aren't you? What is wrong with that?

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-20-2013 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: added comments

Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 PM

The term "re-appraisers" came from the story in the OP. They even interviewed one of the guys who denied his first appeal. Doesn't seem like the "normal appeals process" to me.

Of course there's nothing wrong with saving yourself money, but his quote of "he wouldn't accept a lowered value unless until everyone else's were reviewed as well" was complete and utter BS as he did just that.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
The term "re-appraisers" came from the story in the OP. They even interviewed one of the guys who denied his first appeal. Doesn't seem like the "normal appeals process" to me.

Of course there's nothing wrong with saving yourself money, but his quote of "he wouldn't accept a lowered value unless until everyone else's were reviewed as well" was complete and utter BS as he did just that.
If we don't know what re-appraisers means how do you know that is not part of the normal appeals process? Re-appraisers may just mean a second opinion. I imagine that if Deaton did something outside of the normal appeals process it would have been reported in detail.

The entire county is being reviewed - so it seems to me that Deaton did exactly what he said he would do. He fought until it was proven that many values were excessive and now all values are being reviewed.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 09-20-2013 at 11:59 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 AM

They're going to be reviewed, but they really haven't been yet other than just the neighborhoods that Pearson's found, and to my knowledge none of those tax values have even been changed yet as Deaton's has.

But yes, I would like to see some more detail about Deaton's situation.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,646,368 times
Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about. +-50,000 tax appeals were filed by Mecklenburg County property owners. The tax assessor resigned due to his incompetence. Even the county commissioners have agreed the tax revaluation was botched. The state legislature even got involved to allow for retroactive corrections to the inaccurate values. I have no problem paying taxes based on fair values but many of the tax values were crazy high.

Pearson was told to correct the incorrect tax values. Sorry that upsets you.
The appeals were anticipated and disclosed by the assessor long before they ever released the numbers. The assessor was not incompetent and did not resign for that reason. Just like the manager, he was fired for political reasons and just like the manager, Deaton had a lot to do with that.

The legislature got involved also a lot due by Deaton and his crew. This crew never showed good numbers but instead just complained that they didn't like it. That isn't a reason to change someone's value and sure isn't a reason to change the law.

Pearson was hired and aimed to address certain neighborhoods at first. Completing the job in a way that is satisfactory to the District 1 commissioner and others got them hired to do the rest. WSOC reported this will take another 1.5 years to finish. That puts us well in to 2015 before the next round of appeals can begin. If I'm right that means lower income people will get a bill for four years of differences to make up for lowering the values on those that snowed the county and I saw that coming (but not to this degree).

Pearson is just doing their master's bidding which I cannot blame them for that.

Everything else aside, do you agree that the house is worth less than $13K or not? Is it OK to fudge numbers if you are an appraiser to hit a target you believe is correct? Is accuracy not important as long as the final number is right and is the final number right?

The above is what the previous assessor was accused of. The difference now is we're going to pay a new one to sit on his hands while someone else does the commission's bidding.

I do expect the chair to not shy away from this. We'll get some answer though I'm skeptical.

I'll try to refrain from addressing the entire reval. Let's focus on the accuracy of what's happening now. I also find it stealthy that they are apparently releasing new values as they go. Not sure about that. It might be easier to deal with mobs a bit at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or