Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 AM

21 posts, read 140,743 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I've pretty much narrowed my search down to Huntersville NC, and was looking at perhaps The Landings, Parkview or Camden Sedgebrook apartments.

My plan was to move down there, then get a job(I have a BS in Accounting and Business Admin.-double major), and I have worked in Raleigh and RTP, so finding work shouldn't take too long.

So my question is, how can I rent an apartment BEFORE getting a job? Do people do this, or am I "unique"?! I have plenty of money for first/last month's rent and security deposit, my credit history is perfect and have no criminal background.

Thanks in advance,

Ritchid

P.S. I'm visiting Plattsburgh NY at the moment and they had 11 inches of snow two days ago!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I think you can do it and be fine as long as you know if their opening in the field you are interested in. Considering charlotte is a major distribution hub you might be in luck.

I would go ahead and research for companies you may be interested in so the down time will be minimal.
If your concern about the apartment complex having issue just show them your last pay check and tell them your self employed.

Far as that snow I remember denver was getting snow this past december and all of us on the east was warm and thinking it was going to be a mild winter LOL
I just saw the local forcast and we will be in the 80's in seven days.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Default OMG you guys!

Hi
This is EXACTLY the SAME dilemma we are having as well. No jobs lined up, but want/ have to move.
Our home sold, sooner then actually expected (hey, which is GREAT!!!), and want to move to the Mooresville area. No jobs lined up.....yet. Wanting to rent first, before we buy another home. Enough monay for first/ last and security, on top of excellent credit rating and history. So, now our realtor tells us, that we have to find a job first, in order to rent ANYTHING up there!!!
Hubby is up there for 2 days, just as I am writing this, and it is such a pressure for him. This is nuts and crazy in my eyes!!!!
I mean, it is so hard finding a job, when you are so many many miles away. Plus, why would I rent, default, and ruin our hard earned excellent credit, we need to buy a house????
Don't quiet get that....
Well, at this point I told my husband to just apply at MD's...they hire anybody, and at least he will be able to provide a "job promise". lol
Crazy!!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Ok, I once had a job where I rented out apartments for a management company in a very desireable area of Charlotte. If people could show assets in the bank that was equal to three to six months rent (depending on their credit rating), then we would lease to them.

Just tell the leasing agent you are in the final stages of picking a company. That's not an untruth technically. Show any assets you have in a 401k, money market, savings, checking, etc. I seriously don't think you will have a problem. Shoot, my friend got an apt. in SouthPark when she was a college intern with NO income. She just showed bank statements that revealed that she had assets.

And some real estate agents don't have any idea what they are talking about when it comes to rentals because all property management companies have different rules. Don't get discouraged! Movingback toPA, I am so mad your agent told you that and stressed you out for no reason!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:37 AM

179 posts, read 293,891 times
are you currently working where you're living now? I just applied a few weeks ago for my apartment based on my current job pay stubs and gross pay statement from me. That is all they needed for employment verification and then just some info to do criminal background check.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 AM

111 posts, read 263,335 times
Default Hmm..

The only way I got the apt. without a job was a co-signer. And he had to make 3x the amount of the rent every month.

But it turned out, upon termination of the lease, that they didn't even require the co-signer. Weird.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchid View Post
Hello all!

I've pretty much narrowed my search down to Huntersville NC, and was looking at perhaps The Landings, Parkview or Camden Sedgebrook apartments.

My plan was to move down there, then get a job(I have a BS in Accounting and Business Admin.-double major), and I have worked in Raleigh and RTP, so finding work shouldn't take too long.

So my question is, how can I rent an apartment BEFORE getting a job? Do people do this, or am I "unique"?! I have plenty of money for first/last month's rent and security deposit, my credit history is perfect and have no criminal background.

Thanks in advance,

Ritchid

P.S. I'm visiting Plattsburgh NY at the moment and they had 11 inches of snow two days ago!!!!!

I'm at the Landings and I didn't have a job when I moved here. I just wrote my Phoenix job on the application and they didn't ask about an NC job. They will however check your credit.

Plattsburgh? Do you know Larry and Betty up there? I can't remember the last names but it's not a big place right

Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 140,743 times
Default Thanks for all the replies everyone...

This is such a great web site...I feel like I already have a bunch of new friends which is great!
Okay, I can certainly show them pay stubs from the last 4 months, however...I'll try to make this short...I'm only making $8.50 an hour at 30 hrs per wk...was going to start a business partnership with a friend, but it fell through...so meanwhile I was working this part time $8.50/hr job just for pocket money until the partnership took off.

Is that enough income for them? Reason I ask is because when I went to Raleigh in 2000, I was making only $11/hr then and they weren't going to give me the apartment because that was too low of income...then I showed them bank account/IRA info and they let me in.

I certainly have bank assets that would more than satisfy any 3-6 months of rent requirement...Kmway, thanks for that info.

Sheena...NO Plattsburgh is a small town in Upstate NY, sorry, I don't know a Larry or a Betty, but in a small town, everybody knows everybody through a friend or relative somehow!

How is "The Landings"? I have 3 vehicles (one is an antique mint condition 67 Chrysler 300 coupe that I bring to car shows), do they have car ports or garages...if so do they charge you more to rent those?

Thanks Again everybody...

Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
This is such a great web site...I feel like I already have a bunch of new friends which is great!
Okay, I can certainly show them pay stubs from the last 4 months, however...I'll try to make this short...I'm only making $8.50 an hour at 30 hrs per wk...was going to start a business partnership with a friend, but it fell through...so meanwhile I was working this part time $8.50/hr job just for pocket money until the partnership took off.

Is that enough income for them? Reason I ask is because when I went to Raleigh in 2000, I was making only $11/hr then and they weren't going to give me the apartment because that was too low of income...then I showed them bank account/IRA info and they let me in.

I certainly have bank assets that would more than satisfy any 3-6 months of rent requirement...Kmway, thanks for that info.

Sheena...NO Plattsburgh is a small town in Upstate NY, sorry, I don't know a Larry or a Betty, but in a small town, everybody knows everybody through a friend or relative somehow!

How is "The Landings"? I have 3 vehicles (one is an antique mint condition 67 Chrysler 300 coupe that I bring to car shows), do they have car ports or garages...if so do they charge you more to rent those?

I would definitely go with the assets and the "final stages of interviewing" thing because 8.50/hour 30 hours/week would only qualify you for $340 in rent, which is fine in a roomate situation but not so fine if you are living alone! Good luck and let us know how it goes

Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:

I know where Plattsburgh is, I was referring to upstate NY Larry works at the prison up there.

The Landings is ok for an inexpensive place in a great location. They are very spacious units with woodburning fireplaces. It is walking distance to Birkdale Village and right by a park and ride and bus stops. It's close to the Freeway the Lake and probably whatever you want. The parking here is unlimited numerous spots. Now if you have a fancy car like that I wonder if they would let you park in the RV and boat area. We have an area in the back that is gated for boats and trailers. You could ask. I'm not sure if they charge extra for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte