U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,877,935 times

Advertisements

The Independence Division is still experiencing larcenies from UNLOCKED vehicles. In September 2013 alone, 82% of the larcenies from vehicles were from UNLOCKED vehicles. Please help us reduce crime by removing all valuables and locking your vehicle.

Please assist CMPD in reducing Larcenies from Vehicles

CMPD is working hard to prevent crime in your neighborhood. However, we need your assistance. Please remember to NEVER leave valuables in your vehicle (GPS, laptops, tablets, purses, wallets, cell phones, clothing, book bags, checkbooks/credit cards, etc.). In addition, please ALWAYS lock your vehicle when you leave it - even in your driveway and even if you leave your vehicle unattended for only a few minutes.

If you see any suspicious activity in your neighborhood, please do not hesitate to call 911. We are eager to come check out any suspicious vehicles or people in order to prevent crime.

Please share this information with your friends and neighbors. Working together, we can be successful at preventing crime.

We truly appreciate your partnership in helping us reduce crime.

Captain Lisa Goelz

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department

Independence Division
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,119,307 times
I don't lock my car at work, but I don't leave any valuables in it either. If they are going to steal my radio, I would rather they didn't smash the window.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,741,524 times
It is habit for me, unfortunately. I remember going to college up north, and getting laughed at, and I mean guffaws, when I did not lock my car. Course, that was back in the day, but after that humiliation, I just started doing it.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
I don't EVER leave my car unlocked, including in my driveway. The only time my car was broken into -- in my lifetime -- was one evening when my husband drove my car, didn't pull it into the garage and didn't lock it (a no no!!!) He had NEVER taken it seriously that he should lock cars and it was a huge issue with me. So all those years, I was vigilant. He borrows my car, doesn't lock it . . . it gets broken into.

Needless to say, from that day forward, he locks all vehicles when he exits them. Thugs who break into cars are going by the law of averages - too many people leave their cars unlocked. Don't make yourself a victim.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,423,659 times
Really people should lock their cars in a major city, especially in the Independence area, now that is news to me.

Hopefully the 82% of car break in victims take the incidents as a life lesson of not to be careless or plain stupid.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,781,900 times
It is a shame that no matter where you live gangs of people are wondering all over charlotte checking for unlocked doors in the middle of the night. Once your stuff is gone believe me it stays gone. Chances of you ever seeing it again are one in a million. After having several late night trespassers I now have a silent alarm that alerts me (and not the trespasser) to their presence. I call call 911 before the crooks can run away and it also gives me the chance to lock and load while they still think I am asleep...

Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM

128 posts, read 202,401 times
What area's does the Independence Division cover? I always lock our cars but the house we just purchased it right off Independence behind City Chevrolet. It appears to be a quiet neighborhood though.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,119,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane93nc View Post
What area's does the Independence Division cover? I always lock our cars but the house we just purchased it right off Independence behind City Chevrolet. It appears to be a quiet neighborhood though.
Independence Division
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte