U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:54 PM

409 posts, read 988,067 times

Advertisements

I'd consider a person that helped me by offering directions and walking with me with me too to be pretty friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 PM

816 posts, read 636,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Well. You're not going to get any city life other than Charlotte, the closest large city to Statesville. I have friends in the Hickory area that really like it. They're a bit older than you but they love the outdoors and it's a great little town, between Asheville and Charlotte.
Not true, Winston Salem isn't far, and because of Wake Forest you have weekly house parties and a downtown scene. There are also other things like raves etc..

It's not the greatest but if you are the social type there is a night life. Downtown and around Statesville is kinda boring though.. Mostly rural. I Lived around there and went to school at the community college there ~7 years ago, I also walked around downtown before classes and drove around the towns.

Even if he went to Charlotte it'd be about the same deal. That's NC. Same with Raleigh, Greensboro, Ashville etc..

P.S. there is a highway that shoots strait to Charlotte from Statesville.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Not true, Winston Salem isn't far, and because of Wake Forest you have weekly house parties and a downtown scene. There are also other things like raves etc..

It's not the greatest but if you are the social type there is a night life. Downtown and around Statesville is kinda boring though.. Mostly rural. I Lived around there and went to school at the community college there ~7 years ago, I also walked around downtown before classes and drove around the towns.

Even if he went to Charlotte it'd be about the same deal. That's NC. Same with Raleigh, Greensboro, Ashville etc..

P.S. there is a highway that shoots strait to Charlotte from Statesville.

And by "shoots" you mean as in very slowly shooting as compared to the interstate? haha There are actually a few different non-interstate highways you could take to Charlotte from Statesville but only if you are trying to kill some time or see the countryside (which I personally enjoy).

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
And by "shoots" you mean as in very slowly shooting as compared to the interstate? haha There are actually a few different non-interstate highways you could take to Charlotte from Statesville but only if you are trying to kill some time or see the countryside (which I personally enjoy).

As an almost direct path at 65MPH. I think you can hit 85 3/4 of the way to go to uptown, and it's 75 and 80 MPH. I know people from there who use it to go to work daily in Charlotte, it's not that bad and only sees congestion during events.

I personally like Winston Salem over Charlotte. If for no other reason than the classy restaurants and cafes there and the way the town looks, especially in autumn. Also there are cool pubs, clubs, and restaurants in other city downtown areas, like Hickory. But Charlotte, Winston Salem, Raleigh, Ashville, Greensboro are the top. Some of the downtown places up in mountain areas, like around Appalachian Uni have cool aspects too, including nightlife.

This is NC, this is the stuff you'll find here. One plus to these other places against Charlotte is it won't be too crowded but in some cases be better in style and enviroment.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Love to know what road you or your friends are taking from Statesville, that's not 77, where you are going 65mph. No direct path from Statesville to 85 unless you go back roads through Mooresville/Concord and highway 3 but definitely not going 65mph on any of those roads.

Winston Salem is a nice quainter alternative to Charlotte and has some decent restaurants. I personally would take Asheville's downtown area over any other in NC. They've got it all, not sprawled out and just a cool atmosphere to hang out in. Nice vibe.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:53 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Quote:
Love to know what road you or your friends are taking from Statesville, that's not 77, where you are going 65mph. No direct path from Statesville to 85 unless you go back roads through Mooresville/Concord and highway 3 but definitely not going 65mph on any of those roads.

Winston Salem is a nice quainter alternative to Charlotte and has some decent restaurants. I personally would take Asheville's downtown area over any other in NC. They've got it all, not sprawled out and just a cool atmosphere to hang out in. Nice vibe.
To each their own because I don't care to much for Asheville, definitely not to live. It is small and not very diverse....extremely overrated in my opinion for someone seeking a broader experience from a cultural standpoint. I think it's nice retirement area and culturally in synch for a certain demographic.

Winston-Salem has a decent downtown with a historic feel....that's about it, it is not nearly as vibrant as uptown...not even close.

I vote for Davidson or Mooresville in this case...everything else discussed is a nonsensical commute (Asheville or Winston-Salem, etc)...might as well commute from Carrboro. Although Winston-Salem is not that far, there is no area comparable to Chapel Hill/Carrboro within or near Winston-Salem in my opinion and Davidson is probably the best option.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Yeah we take a back road up to where crackle barrel is in Mooresville, and hit the highway there and go strait to uptown. Doesn't take long and one of us used it for work daily at one time.

Like the other poster said to each their own.. If anyone is dumb enough to listen to just one person on such a subject than by all means..

Old 09-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
To each their own because I don't care to much for Asheville, definitely not to live. It is small and not very diverse....extremely overrated in my opinion for someone seeking a broader experience from a cultural standpoint. I think it's nice retirement area and culturally in synch for a certain demographic..
Maybe we go to different parts of Asheville as I find it's quite diverse culturally with many options for entertainment as well beyond typical adventure things you might find in the mountains.

It's definitely not a reasonable commute to Statesville though, we can agree on that.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Quote:
Maybe we go to different parts of Asheville as I find it's quite diverse culturally with many options for entertainment as well beyond typical adventure things you might find in the mountains.

It's definitely not a reasonable commute to Statesville though, we can agree on that.
You're more qualified to assess the town since you've spent more time there than me. But based on my experiences, the larger metros in NC offer a broader array of cultural activities, events, etc amongst many other things (collegiate environment, professional organizations, etc) which is expected. Although kind of quirky, Asheville has a niche and caters to that crowd. The mountains and outdoor activities are a big draw for the area and Autumn is a great time of the year to visit or live there.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:25 PM

This guy is in his mid 20s, commutes aren't even the emphasis.. Winston Salem, Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte are the places with the nightlife..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte