Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM

7 posts, read 16,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We are not allowed to volunteer in our child's classroom. We can volunteer in other classrooms or in other grades. .....
Well that's one way to discourage parents from volunteering! .... That said, at my daughter's school (first grade) parent volunteering in the classroom is prearranged and "rationed" to 2-3 times per year per parent.

Last edited by Puläski; 09-25-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 11,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
That's a terrific rule, I would have loved that. At my kid's school it got a bit out of hand. Some parents are there every day of the week at lunch, recess and classrooms helping the teacher. I am of a mind to let the kids be on their on under supervised conditions such as school. Parents need to let go a little.

Wow, really, recess! I think that is really overstepping it. What school is this? I've never known for a school to allow something like this for safety reasons. I also agree going in and out of the classroom is ridiculous. Independence needs to be established at some point. And Mommy or daddy always there isn't going to do it.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM

13 posts, read 11,431 times
[quote=NCbound01;31547887]I'd say working with the teacher is very important. Reinforcing what a teacher goes over in class helps the teacher and my child tremendously. If there is something I think can help the teacher understand my child better I share that with her, and vice versa.

I agree with this 100%.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mometo2 View Post
Wow, really, recess! I think that is really overstepping it. What school is this? I've never known for a school to allow something like this for safety reasons. I also agree going in and out of the classroom is ridiculous. Independence needs to be established at some point. And Mommy or daddy always there isn't going to do it.
I've seen it in both Union and Mecklenburg schools. It was worse in Meck though. Security isn't an issue since its a paren't that signs in at the office and not a random stranger.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puläski View Post
Well that's one way to discourage parents from volunteering! .... That said, at my daughter's school (first grade) parent volunteering in the classroom is prearranged and "rationed" to 2-3 times per year per parent.

We are required to volunteer for 20 hours or 30 hours depending on how many kids you have enrolled in the school. There are MANY opportunities to volunteer. They do not want you in your child's room during instructional time and I don't have a problem with the rule.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mometo2 View Post

That is one of our volunteer opportunities to be there during lunch and PAT time which is recess. It allows the teacher's to have time to do what they need to do.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
That is one of our volunteer opportunities to be there during lunch and PAT time which is recess. It allows the teacher's to have time to do what they need to do.
Just to be clear, what I saw were moms sitting with their kid at lunch and hanging out at the playground during recess. Now once in awhile as a treat, that's fine. I'm talking about few times a week or almost every day. We didn't have volunteers opportunities for those areas. What you describe is understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte