U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 9,811 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about some of the answers I will get from involved or uninvolved parents in their child's education. How involved do you get when it comes to your child's education and what are your expectations from their teachers? Principal? As parents, how much information do you expect when it comes to your child while their in school? Do you feel it's best to butt out and let the teachers do their job? Do you feel comfortable without question, letting their teacher do their job and just waiting on their report cards? How involved do you feel is too involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 3,197,294 times
My child is in a charter school as a kindergartner. Parent involvement is a huge part of the school culture. I've emailed the teacher a couple of times this year when I think it's been warranted. We have an agenda book that is sent home daily and it has notes on the day and any homework they have as well.I f there was a serious problem I would expect to be notified immediately by the teacher. The first lines of communication should always be with the teacher (IMO) and if I couldn't get anywhere with her then I would go to the principal.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,994,041 times
I agree 100% with the above poster. Also keep in mind that some kids need more "team work" from parents and teachers to learn to succeed. If a child is sailing by then less involvement is needed as long as the child is being challenged and nurtured. If the child can barely keep up with the other classmates the teacher and parent need to work together to help.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,863,873 times
I get involved with the school itself, PTA, Math/Science Olympiads etc. The teachers have my contact info and if they need to contact me they will. But I don't volunteer in their classroom nor do I interfere with the teacher. I prefer for my kids to try and solve any issues, questions etc with the teacher themselves first before I get involved. I've thankfully only had to contact the teacher a handful of times the last several years. I do keep track with the online parent portal to their grades etc.

I think it's too much to have lunch with them several times a week, volunteer more than twice a week in the classroom itself, ask the teacher several times a week how are their kids doing etc. I've seen this a lot.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,714,565 times
As a teacher I welcome parental involvement. I would love to see parents observing what I do every day of the week.

Parental involvement works best if it is from day 1 and not the last week of the marking period, We use an online grading program, ENGRADE. Parents and students have 24x7 access to the student's grade. We also use it for communications.

Last year I had over 1,000 separate messages threads from and to parents and students.

Unfortunately, though we put our use of Engrade in writing and have parents sign the form, 15 - 20% never sign up and get an account. Lack of computer at home is NEVER the reason.

We also have a WIKI with our homework calendar. It is tedious when we get the "Delbert never has homework and I don't know how to check."

If you want to be involved that is great, but be involved for the long haul and to improve your child's education, not to "rescue" your child when you hear his or her side of a story and you come in to kick my butt.

Remember, you have one child to worry about, the teacher has 80 - 120. If you suspect something is not right, step up and initiate contact. In my case, it is a lot easier to respond to a parent than to always remember to bring something to the parent's attention.

Thanks for your interest in your child's education. IMHO Parental interest is 75% of the deal!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I get involved with the school itself, PTA, Math/Science Olympiads etc. The teachers have my contact info and if they need to contact me they will. But I don't volunteer in their classroom nor do I interfere with the teacher. I prefer for my kids to try and solve any issues, questions etc with the teacher themselves first before I get involved. I've thankfully only had to contact the teacher a handful of times the last several years. I do keep track with the online parent portal to their grades etc.

I think it's too much to have lunch with them several times a week, volunteer more than twice a week in the classroom itself, ask the teacher several times a week how are their kids doing etc. I've seen this a lot.
We are not allowed to volunteer in our child's classroom. We can volunteer in other classrooms or in other grades. I think this is a good rule. Some parents were very upset when they first heard this rule.

We also have an online portal where daily homework and grades are kept. They send announcements through there as well. We can also access the kids PLP's and see how they did on their testing.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
As a teacher I welcome parental involvement. I would love to see parents observing what I do every day of the week.

Parental involvement works best if it is from day 1 and not the last week of the marking period, We use an online grading program, ENGRADE. Parents and students have 24x7 access to the student's grade. We also use it for communications.

Last year I had over 1,000 separate messages threads from and to parents and students.

Unfortunately, though we put our use of Engrade in writing and have parents sign the form, 15 - 20% never sign up and get an account. Lack of computer at home is NEVER the reason.

We also have a WIKI with our homework calendar. It is tedious when we get the "Delbert never has homework and I don't know how to check."

If you want to be involved that is great, but be involved for the long haul and to improve your child's education, not to "rescue" your child when you hear his or her side of a story and you come in to kick my butt.

Remember, you have one child to worry about, the teacher has 80 - 120. If you suspect something is not right, step up and initiate contact. In my case, it is a lot easier to respond to a parent than to always remember to bring something to the parent's attention.

Thanks for your interest in your child's education. IMHO Parental interest is 75% of the deal!
This is what I tell my kids, this is your grade and your responsibility. I also will look it up online and show them what's their grade. If they have an issue, they need to approach the teacher. And I did this from elementary school. I am involved with them at home by asking questions, checking their graded work and asking them directly anything I wonder about. And if they don't know the answer, then they ask their teacher.

But all parents are different though and I respect that. Some prefer to deal with the teachers themselves and that's fine.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We are not allowed to volunteer in our child's classroom. We can volunteer in other classrooms or in other grades. I think this is a good rule. Some parents were very upset when they first heard this rule.
That's a terrific rule, I would have loved that. At my kid's school it got a bit out of hand. Some parents are there every day of the week at lunch, recess and classrooms helping the teacher. I am of a mind to let the kids be on their on under supervised conditions such as school. Parents need to let go a little.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM

238 posts, read 494,738 times
I'd say working with the teacher is very important. Reinforcing what a teacher goes over in class helps the teacher and my child tremendously. If there is something I think can help the teacher understand my child better I share that with her, and vice versa.

As for volunteering at school, I do so as often as I can. I work full time so I'm not able to as much as stay at home parents.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 9,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Where do you teach? Teachers like you can be very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or