Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM

75 posts, read 203,917 times

Advertisements

Home Depot uses Brother's Air and Heat. Sears is also big name. These big shops are specialize on HVAC install.

I also heard smaller shops such as DORTON's Heating has better installation because they do both install and service, so they know better.

If they offer the same price, should we choose small shops or big ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,219 times
Go with the independent guy.

Doug Heating and Cooling - 7048228139

Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,614 times
I'm not wild about calling those big companies like Brothers or Morris-Jenkins who advertise on the radio. I just figure the additional cost of all that advertising and a fleet of detailed vans gets added to the bill.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpoint View Post
Home Depot uses Brother's Air and Heat. Sears is also big name. These big shops are specialize on HVAC install.

I also heard smaller shops such as DORTON's Heating has better installation because they do both install and service, so they know better.

If they offer the same price, should we choose small shops or big ones?
Always go with the independent guy. Just make sure they are properly licensed, bonded, and insured.

Stay local and keep the money in town, not going to the big corporations!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 AM

162 posts, read 729,521 times
I can personally recommend Dorton, they did my install and did a good job for a good price. See my post on this thread.

HVAC unit recommendations.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM

DORTON give me a quote for LENNOX 4 Ton 13 seer.
Home Depot (Brothers) price match with it and can use CARRIER brand.

Different brand, Same price, but who will do a better install and service?

Old 09-25-2013, 12:26 PM

TAKE THE LENNOX OVER A CARRIER. Hands down a much better HVAC unit.

The independent will do a better job because they have more to lose if they don't.

Home Depot hires guys and then trains them to install, I would not trust them personally.

There's a thread going on right now about a Home Depot that installed someone's new dishwasher, and the service guy didn't seal the hose properly. It ruined her cabinets & floor.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Here is what I read from a site:

Good idea, ask a repair man. They'll know what's crap and what's not. I happen to work at an HVAC supply house and we deal with all the contractors within a 60 mile radius. I personally order a lot of special order parts. You wouldn't put a Lennox on my house if it was brand new AND FREE! Carrier, Trane, Amana, York, Heil, Frigidaire, and some others have some nice stuff and reliability seems about the same. Some are more overpriced than others but Carrier and Trane have the most expensive replacement parts of those. Sorry, I'm not going to pay $600 for a replacement blower motor when I can get a universal fit one for about $86.
Goodman units have really come up in quality in the last 5-8 years and they've stepped up their warranty to match. I'm biased towards Rheem/Ruud and that's what is in my house. I prefer the more basic designed units that can use universal replacement parts in general. IF something happens to my system, most any contractor can get me fixed up that same day. With that proprietary b.s. you'll have to wait for it to come in because nobody will have it in stock.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainpoint View Post
Here is what I read from a site:

Good idea, ask a repair man. They'll know what's crap and what's not. I happen to work at an HVAC supply house and we deal with all the contractors within a 60 mile radius. I personally order a lot of special order parts. You wouldn't put a Lennox on my house if it was brand new AND FREE! Carrier, Trane, Amana, York, Heil, Frigidaire, and some others have some nice stuff and reliability seems about the same. Some are more overpriced than others but Carrier and Trane have the most expensive replacement parts of those. Sorry, I'm not going to pay $600 for a replacement blower motor when I can get a universal fit one for about $86.
Goodman units have really come up in quality in the last 5-8 years and they've stepped up their warranty to match. I'm biased towards Rheem/Ruud and that's what is in my house. I prefer the more basic designed units that can use universal replacement parts in general. IF something happens to my system, most any contractor can get me fixed up that same day. With that proprietary b.s. you'll have to wait for it to come in because nobody will have it in stock.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,136 times
Default Independent HVAC

I oversaw the HVAC install for our church. The independent guy we used sold us on Goodman, saying the quality had improved dramatically, and that their warranty was very good. We agree to go with Goodman- he beat the 3 competitors we had quote us, by a minimum of $3k. Heck, the company that had been installing and maintaining our stuff for years quoted us $5k more for the exact Goodman unit this guy installed. PM me, and I'd be glad to provide you name and number. I'd let him handle my home installation, without a second's hesitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte