U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times

Advertisements

Well I had to get new plates today at the Title and Registration office in Monroe. Whew! 2 hours in line. A few friendly word to anyone embarking on this journey, a) block out a good 3 hour window (literally), make sure you go to the bathroom before getting in line (you leave your place you lose your place), if you're bringing kids, make sure they go to the bathroom and have plenty of snacks *and* a stroller . Granted it seems 1-2 of the normal people there were out all week so it took me 2 hours to get through the line. Talking with the clerk, who was very nice even though we were all irritated said the lines starts building at 8am (it opens at 9am!). I asked if this was out of the ordinary and she said sometimes it's worse (the lines went out the door).

Anyway a 2 hour wait wasn't the worst DMV experience, I've had FAR worse in eastern MA. At least I was able to get my new tag quickly *after* I got up there. One guy I thought was really going to lose it (and he didn't have all his paper work- he waited longer than me, so he wasted his trip)- LOL

Anyway, that's my DMV experience today, I get to do it again for my wife's car (oh joy!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 AM

531 posts, read 1,863,389 times
Wow! Sorry to hear it took so long for you. When I went, It took us 45 minutes. That included waiting in line and getting our tags and putting on the new ones! (at the same office.)

I was told to avoid them on Mondays and Fridays because they are busier those days. I went on a Wednesday at 10 am and it was fine. My 2year old would have never made the 2 hours!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear it took so long for you. When I went, It took us 45 minutes. That included waiting in line and getting our tags and putting on the new ones! (at the same office.)

I was told to avoid them on Mondays and Fridays because they are busier those days. I went on a Wednesday at 10 am and it was fine. My 2year old would have never made the 2 hours!
You're right, someone said don't go on mondays (of course that was after I left the office)

Old 10-17-2006, 10:15 AM

259 posts, read 1,092,558 times
Do you have to do in the county you are residing in? Because I put it off for a long time while living in Charlotte- the independance dmv always had lines out the door.
When I moved to Gaston County I went to the Gastonia DMV (the only one for the entire county I think) and waited like 15 minutes. It might be worth the drive.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,631,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Do you have to do in the county you are residing in?
I didn't. I got my tags in Rural Hall, NC (Forsyth County) but, I was living in Ashe County at the time. I was the only "customer" the whole time I was in the office.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,497,946 times
what was the required paperwork for new plates

Old 10-17-2006, 01:06 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,631,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/vehicle_ser...oRegister.html

Newcomer's Guide

The Newcomer's Guide contains information about obtaining a North Carolina driver's license, title and registration plates. Also included is information concerning vehicle safety inspections, financial responsibility, property taxes and local licenses. In addition, they have pointed out some of the laws that may be different from those in other states.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
For a title (note this is the title/tag office in Monroe on 74)
Have your driver's license, title for your car, proof of insurance, also it's good to have proof of residency (a utility bill, sales contract, etc.)- but this wasn't asked for. The Union County office only takes checks or CASH (no plastic) not sure about the others. Also you need a major credit which has your name on it (it's not used for payment). You'll need two checks one for the the highway use fee and other stuff and a seperate one for notarization ($5). Fortunately I had the last two checks in my check book , else I would have been crying if I had to leave to go get $5 and come back (they wouldn't let me add it all up together).

Old 10-17-2006, 01:56 PM

30 posts, read 101,788 times
thats normal in brooklyn, ny i know since i live near a dmv usually the line starts to form outside around 7am and they open about 9am. so that aint nothing those hours of waiting

Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,713 times
Default Mystery DMV Shopper

NCDOT would be wise to have some mystery shoppers visit their DMV locations. Monday I went to the Independence office to get my driver's license. Waited 45 minutes to be called to a station, spent 15 minutes with a wonderful lady (Spanish speaking), took the test and passed in about 10 minutes and then proceeded to sit in an area to wait until the "cows came in". This station seemed more interested in making sure they did not help more people than the co-worker next to them. They spent an enormous time chatting with the person they were helping. Then, when they were done with that person, they would get up, walk around, stretch, visit with another co-worker, sit back down at their computer, act busy and eventually they would call the next person who probably had been sitting at least 30 minutes. While it is wonderful to see them conversing with the public, most of the public in there are on their lunch hour. If you want to talk, why not invite them to join you for lunch another day. Also, do go to the bathroom beforehand. There are no public bathrooms on the premises. I watched a young Latino trying to tell one man that he wanted to take the driver's test. Another worker delighted in telling the man helping him that if he couldn't speak or understand the English language, there would be no driver's test. When I questioned why they did not let the Spanish speaking lady help these people, I was told they didn't want to put all of them with her. Hello! Did they not hire her because she was bilingual. Glad to have this behind me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or