U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 46,214 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about moving to North Carolina(Charlotte Area) to take up a new job. I am thinking of Mooresville,NC because of the schools(I have school going kids). I wanted to know if there a good number of Indian(desi) community in Mooresville,NC. My Wife and I are very particular about the Indian community.Currently we live in Suburb of Minneapolis,MN which has a very vibrant Indian community. It would be really helpful, if people in this forum can provide more information. Any specific of concentration would also be helpful. Are there any specific apartment complex?

Thanks,
Dravidm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,699,547 times
Yes Mooresville seems to have a growing Indian population- I think Lowes have something to do with that.
We now have 3 Indian restaurants (only 1 decent one IMO!).
Regarding rental properties there are many Indian families living in Talbert Woods (appts and town homes). I also see people going in and out of Morrison Plantation. Other than that I'm not sure.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 PM

21 posts, read 69,911 times
Hi Dravid,
I've only been in Charlotte for a month so I'm not the best to answer your question, however I come from England origianlly where you can usually find large indian communities in each city, however in Charlotte it seems to be spread out and I havent yet come across a part of the city where there is a large indian community, although there are many indian/desi shops around Charlotte. You should look on Me2Desi.com and also saathee.com which is an online indian magazine and if you are looking to buy may find realtors on those sites that can assist.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 PM

982 posts, read 1,192,645 times
University/Mallard Creek area. There are at least 3 Indian grocery stores I know off and many restaurants. I believe the concentration is due to the reasearch park/ibm drive area. The grocery stores I know of are 1 on University City Blvd next to the Dominos, 1 next to the Big Lots, and 1 on Mallard Creek Church below Wild Wings, that is also a restaurant. Also there is a new restaurant on Prosperity Church right near the Bank of America. I enjoy the spices and the restaurants.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 49,529 times
Mooresville has a small Indian population,due to lowes & Ingersoll rand. Ok schools. They have a few charter schools ,but admission in charter schools is by lottery and it's closed for this year. One indian store,but it's not that great.
As mentioned above Indian population is scattered throughout charlotte. Ballantyne,university ,mallard creek, concord ,mooresville has Indian population. Concord ( which is in cabbarus county) has good school district.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:36 AM

30 posts, read 104,557 times
While the University Area has a lot of Indian stores and such, I am not sure there are lots of Indian people except students. Actually, the apartment complexes near Wells Fargo do have a lot of H1 Indians and their families but it seems the Indian families are settling in Ballantyne (mainly the Indian docs who can afford it).

Parts of my family are from India so if I had to guess to what type of area you were looking for, I would check out Ballantyne, parts of Concord and Moorseville. You can also try the Highland Creek subdivision on the Cabarrus County side. That does keep you close to the Indian stores and restaurants in the University Area but is nicer than the actual University Area. Don't let the Mallard Creek area fool you - it looks nice but we bought a house in that area and are not impressed with the neighborhood (seemed like a family oriented neighborhood but turned out to be tons of renters).

Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 AM

398 posts, read 758,010 times
^ Being in a vibrant Indian community is very different from living in complete "segregation". If you've ever lived in a foreign country, you'd appreciate living around familiar faces - but I'm pretty sure you've never traveled out of your county.

OP - south Charlotte and Charlotte area in general has a pretty good Indian community. You'll feel right at home.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:35 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,910,229 times
There is a large community in SE Charlotte too. I don't know precisely if they live in a similar community but my daughter's school has many Indian students. And I often see them organize get togethers in the local parks here as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 PM

398 posts, read 758,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer101 View Post
It actually is. A lot of minorities that move to US don't let their kids mingle with other American kids and create an exclusive zone where their kids only learn to play and talk to other kids from the same ethnicity. That goes completely against American values and spirit. Meeting other people and attending cultural events that has to do with someone's heritage is completely alright and acceptable, but that shouldn't translate to avoiding meeting the average American by any means possible in their day to day lives.
What are you blabbering about? OP doesn't say anything about wanting to stay away from American people - stop trying to press an agenda through here.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 AM

46 posts, read 127,008 times
I am not sure why wanderer101 stays away from Indian people, but "whatever". For the OP, my husband is Indian and I am not. There are other Indian students in my kids' schools, but it is not like Edison, NJ or Queens, NY. If you're looking for that, I don't think you'll find it. However, we have found many stores and activities that are Indian in nature. In fact, this weekend we are going to Durga Puja at the local Hindu temple. Recently, there was an Indian festival in CLT. The Patel Bros here is much cleaner than the one I used to shop at back in NJ. We have not had difficulty finding anything here. Send me a PM and I can give you the name of the realtor we used to move here. He happens to be Indian and quite well connected in the community. We did not base our housing choice on the number of desis in the area, but he may be able to guide you to a community where you will be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or