U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 PM

261 posts, read 983,872 times

Advertisements

Interested in getting feedback about the strength of Charlotte's economy. I've been considering a move to Charlotte for over a year. The fact that I can't sell my two-year old home here in PA is holding me back from making the move. However, something has been bothering me for the past couple of days.

I've read on these boards that many people have moved to Charlotte and haven't been able to get jobs or it's taken them several months to find jobs. I live in the southern portion of PA and work in the DC metro area. If I were to lose my job today or tomorrow, I'm pretty confident that I could find another comparable job in less than two months here in the DC area.

Since there's been talk of a possible recession, how well do you think the Charlotte economy would fare considering the vast number of newcomers to the area? By no means am I trying to degrade the Charlotte economy...I LOVE the area and really want to move there, but the job market concerns me.

Looking for feedback because this will help me determine if I should just sit tight for now and wait out this econ-crisis or just make the move. My field is IT and my partners' is law enforcement.

Your feedback/opinions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,511 times
Please do NOT move here until after you find a job! Don't become another sad story!

As you know, there have been recent layoffs in the Charlotte area. Many of these folks have good educations and experience. Many will take any job for the time being to make ends meet. That makes the market even tougher. Also, this isn't the best time of the year to look for a job unless you work in retail sales.

Also, you should get a job before choosing a place to live. The morning and evening commute can be quite long. You'll want to make sure you minimize the distance you have to drive.

Anyway, good luck with the job search! We'd love you have you!

Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,703,957 times
Banks and NASCAR and construction

Old 11-18-2007, 07:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
The truth is, while the Charlotte economy is strong and fairly diverse, it doesn't specialize in many things, or at least things that can pretty much withstand a recession. Banking is king here, and motorsports is queen. Aside from those two sectors, the composition of the economy is pretty much going to mirror that of any typical 1 million+ metro area.

The take-home? Find a job FIRST.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:58 AM

261 posts, read 983,872 times
Thanks everybody for your responses!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM

54 posts, read 141,352 times
Default Medical professionals

My spouse is a physician who hasn't work in a while. Is there a big demands for doctors?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,127 times
My husband is being a offered a job in the service industry as a Division Manager in Charlotte. I have read that Charlotte is being hit harder than lots of other states due to the economy for whatever reason. I have even read that gas stations have even closed. Will this be worth the move?Also, Is it going to be possible to get a job at a doctors office/hospital? I am currently enrolled in medical coding & would like to finish out my schooling & be able to move to Charlotte to get a job in that field? Will this be next to nil also?Please advise!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 AM

494 posts, read 1,182,927 times
My husband travels all over for business. He says that we here in Charlotte have no idea how bad it is everywhere else. We go out to dinner here and have to wait...it isn't that way in many other cities right now. I don't think we are being hit as hard here in Charlotte...at least not yet.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
My husband travels all over for business. He says that we here in Charlotte have no idea how bad it is everywhere else. We go out to dinner here and have to wait...it isn't that way in many other cities right now. I don't think we are being hit as hard here in Charlotte...at least not yet.
You husband is right on. If I were living someplace else and had to move, I would pick Charlotte despite the downward trend economically. It won't last for ever and it is still much better here than most places. There is much more here than NASCAR and banking. Many big corporations are headquartered her as well as international.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpease9074 View Post
My husband is being a offered a job in the service industry as a Division Manager in Charlotte. I have read that Charlotte is being hit harder than lots of other states due to the economy for whatever reason. I have even read that gas stations have even closed. Will this be worth the move?Also, Is it going to be possible to get a job at a doctors office/hospital? I am currently enrolled in medical coding & would like to finish out my schooling & be able to move to Charlotte to get a job in that field? Will this be next to nil also?Please advise!
I have known no service stations to close. Several national chains have closed but that is a nationwide thing. Several large chains that are closing stores nationwide are remaining open in Charlotte. There have been no cutbacks in hospitals or doctors offices as far as I have heard. The main problem in Charlotte has been the 80,000 per year newcomers have created a overpopulated workforce. If we weren't such a growing city, we would not be in the serious situation in which we are currently. On the bright side, you can get a beautiful house in the area way cheaper than most cities of comparable size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte