U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 43,662 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am relocating from Los Angeles, CA to Charlotte. Could someone tell me honestly what the Winters are like in Charlotte please??? Los Angeles folks don't do seasons..lol

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:48 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,082,404 times
The thread title would be more appropriate followed up with "...or lack thereof".

We don't get a lot of bad weather (usually). It gets a little cold, sometimes below freezing but often not. Last year, I don't think we had any significant snow at all. Now, having said that, when there is snow and ice it is a major problem since it can't always be removed from your road. For instance, one year there was a fairly big storm and the main roads were cleared up pretty well. Didn't matter to me because I couldn't get out of my neighborhood because they don't take care of the streets in my subdivision.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,661,106 times
many people where shorts 365 days a year. Especially teens...

Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,349,304 times
what's a Charlotte winter?

Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
many people where shorts 365 days a year. Especially teens...
Every winter, when I visit any of the rural areas around Charlotte metro in shorts, I always get this one: "Y'all ain't from around here, are ya? It's cold today!"

This is usually when it is about 50.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 43,662 times
Hahaha I love it! Sounds like L.A. cold for us consists of a scarf, jean jacket and flip flops.

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapbaby View Post
Hello all, I am relocating from Los Angeles, CA to Charlotte. Could someone tell me honestly what the Winters are like in Charlotte please??? Los Angeles folks don't do seasons..lol

Thanks all.
It usually takes a turn sometime in Early December. Stays cool for about 8-12 weeks. I start to notice a change usually around Valentines day. Rarely does it ever stay below 32 degrees for a high. You almost have to have snow cover for that to happen here. A really cold day is 40 degrees. Now It does get cold at night, being that we have a lot of clear skies. Cold meaning it dips into the 20's at night. The worst days to me is when it is 40 or below, and is raining. That's cold. I would almost prefer snow at that point. You can expect a handful of these a year.

As for snow we are due for a storm. We had one measureable snowfall last year. About an inch or so. The year before I seen snow flurries once. If there is more that an inch or 2 of snow the city shuts down. Ice and sleet are possible as well. I've seen probably 6 big snow events in 12 years of living here. I consider a big snow here anything more than 3 inches. I've seen a 9 inch snowfall and a 16 inch snowfall while living here

Old 10-04-2013, 02:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,872,302 times
It does snow once or twice a season if we are lucky but it melts within a day or few days. I don't have to layer to keep warm and usually in jeans/shirt and a jacket is sufficient. Hubby wears the shorts but I don't.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM

One of the bigger issues we get is when it snows, then partially melts and then freezes overnight.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,471,615 times
I lived in Orange County and in Fresno for several years. I know it does get cold at night even in California... enough to need heat at night and sometimes it takes a while for the clouds to burn off in the mornings and you need a jacket for a while.

Anyway Charlotte might be described as being about 2500 feet up in the mountains around LA. You could a few inches of snow occasionally, but it usually melts away within a day if you see any. Days are sunny enough that it gets into the mid 50s often even in the middle of winter.

It's unsual to have cold that is deep enough to hold temperatures below freezing in the daytime. Even nighttime freezes normally just put a film of ice on puddles. It doesn't freeze the ground hard like you experience in a true northern climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte