Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 PM

26 posts, read 62,972 times

Advertisements

Hello all, what is the job market like in the legal secretarial/paralegal arena in Charlotte?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 05:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Lousy. Charlotte metro unemployment rate has been hovering over 8% for some time. There are plenty of unemployed legal secretaries and paralegals who have already been looking for jobs here.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapbaby View Post
Hello all, what is the job market like in the legal secretarial/paralegal arena in Charlotte?

Appreciate any info.

Thanks
Let's just say that I was the last legal secretary that was hired at my firm...that was over 5 years ago!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Let's just say that I was the last legal secretary that was hired at my firm...that was over 5 years ago!

Ok lol. Administrative Assistant gigs sounds like an option possibly Thank goodness my skills are not limited to law firms...geez

Thanks

Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapbaby View Post
Ok lol. Administrative Assistant gigs sounds like an option possibly Thank goodness my skills are not limited to law firms...geez

Thanks
I should've added that I am only commenting about my firm - I am not sure about other law firms in the area. We actually have had some layoffs and I've heard about those laid off finding jobs. I guess it all depends on your experience. Either way, I wish you good luck.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I should've added that I am only commenting about my firm - I am not sure about other law firms in the area. We actually have had some layoffs and I've heard about those laid off finding jobs. I guess it all depends on your experience. Either way, I wish you good luck.
Mann I know it's tough all over. Well when I get there in December on vacay to check things out...if it's not meant to be...I guess I will know and then come on back to Cali. lol

Thanks so much for the info.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
yes, we have attorneys that are working as paralegals, and paralegals working as admin assistants (or credit analysts as in my case). Almost everyone has an MBA ...and, the jobs that they used to hold are now gone. So, they are filling those middle jobs that people with bachelor's degrees once held. Those are the people that are the most unemployed.

Not good times here, employment-wise

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
yes, we have attorneys that are working as paralegals, and paralegals working as admin assistants (or credit analysts as in my case). Almost everyone has an MBA ...and, the jobs that they used to hold are now gone. So, they are filling those middle jobs that people with bachelor's degrees once held. Those are the people that are the most unemployed.

Not good times here, employment-wise
Thanks so much..appreciate the info.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:32 PM

286 posts, read 689,138 times
Most firms don't advertise directly, they go through agencies. I would check with the local agencies. My head-hunter found me through one of the dot com sites.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeLocks View Post
Most firms don't advertise directly, they go through agencies. I would check with the local agencies. My head-hunter found me through one of the dot com sites.
This is true. My firm never advertises openings, yet every once in a while we get new people working there. No secretarials, but mostly IT, file clerk, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: