Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 17,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
OP, have you considered Philadelphia at all? It's more expensive than Charlotte, but it's got one of the higher Russian populations around.
We havent considered Philad. yet. Do you know something else about PH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalliyas View Post
We havent considered Philad. yet. Do you know something else about PH?
He beat me to it. I do know something about that.

A lot of Russians left the Soviet Union a few years before it dissolved. Many went to Philadelphia & the South Jersey suburbs.

Ask on the Philadelphia board & the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia board.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-07-2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
He beat me to it. I do know something about that.

A lot of Russian left the Soviet Union a few years before it dissolved. Many went to Philadelphia & the South Jersey suburbs.

Ask on the Philadelphia board & the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia board.

On the one hand Philadelphia attracts Russian community, but on the other hand, some people were living in America for 20 years and did not know English, because they talk with each other. In Rassian forums some advise to stay away from our countrymen, because they are trying to cheat and do not pay wages, and earn on new immigrants. But of course all people are different, and I hope to meet good,decent, honest friends.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM

124 posts, read 242,613 times
Natalliyas..I know you are focused on Charlotte but have you considered Asheville NC? There are people from all over the world in Asheville including Russia. It is diverse and very accepting. It does have a higher cost of living then Charlotte but not by much. They have Breweries there that your husband may be able to look into for employment and lots of other job opportunities. You asked about maybe jobs in helping the elderly. You can go to the community college for 3 months and get certified as a nursing assistant which starting out pays $10 hr in Asheville ...there are also alot of Nanny jobs in that area. Asheville has alot to offer I think. Charlotte does too...I just think Asheville is more accepting of everyone, has good schools and offers alot of fun things for families to do together.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalliyas View Post
On the one hand Philadelphia attracts Russian community, but on the other hand, some people were living in America for 20 years and did not know English, because they talk with each other. In Rassian forums some advise to stay away from our countrymen, because they are trying to cheat and do not pay wages, and earn on new immigrants. But of course all people are different, and I hope to meet good,decent, honest friends.
Having lived there, I have heard plenty of people speaking English with Russian accents. You can do what you want, but the fact is that there is a sizeable Russian community in that area & much more of an opportunity to pick up work caring for elderly Russians &/or translating for any who did not learn English in court, hospital, & nursing home settings.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
OP - there is a Russian community here. The International House may be able to help you
International House: Home
They also have English conversation hours to help you integrate. I don't know why people seem to be discouraging you - Charlotte is as good a place as any other. Asheville really is not good for entry level jobs - there is too much demand.
Google Russians Charlotte NC, you will get some results. Here is the meetup group for Russians in Charlote:
Russians in Charlotte (Charlotte, NC) - Meetup

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM

124 posts, read 242,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
OP - there is a Russian community here. The International House may be able to help you
They also have English conversation hours to help you integrate. I don't know why people seem to be discouraging you - Charlotte is as good a place as any other. Asheville really is not good for entry level jobs - there is too much demand.
Google Russians Charlotte NC, you will get some results. Here is the meetup group for Russians in Charlote:

Completely untrue...mid-level higher paying jobs maybe but entry level jobs are plentiful. Yes there are alot of people applying for those jobs but the same goes in Charlotte. I wasn't trying to discourage the OP just offering another option in NC besides Charlotte.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post

I am grateful for your information. It will be useful for us.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylea73 View Post
Natalliyas..I know you are focused on Charlotte but have you considered Asheville NC? There are people from all over the world in Asheville including Russia. It is diverse and very accepting. It does have a higher cost of living then Charlotte but not by much. They have Breweries there that your husband may be able to look into for employment and lots of other job opportunities. You asked about maybe jobs in helping the elderly. You can go to the community college for 3 months and get certified as a nursing assistant which starting out pays $10 hr in Asheville ...there are also alot of Nanny jobs in that area. Asheville has alot to offer I think. Charlotte does too...I just think Asheville is more accepting of everyone, has good schools and offers alot of fun things for families to do together.

But I think that Asheville has less vacancies than Charlotte and it would be more difficult to serch a job there, because the city is small.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Natalliyas, I am not trying to give you a hard time about why you chose Charlotte. I would really like to know how you arrived at this city from all of them in the entire country. Was it a magazine article, blog, forum, throw a dart at a map?

Momtothree hit the nail on the head in regards to trying to become as fluent in English as possible. In my limited experiences with people with a Russian accent, I had a hard time understanding them so I can imagine that will be an early strike against both of you in the hiring process. That won't be any better anywhere else in the US.

As far as beer jobs, Asheville is a good place because of all of the breweries even though the city is smaller. Perhaps look for a company looking to expand into Russian speaking countries? It might not be your first choice of jobs, but your language could be a great help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte