U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM

4,282 posts, read 7,079,659 times

Advertisements

+1000 from another native.
Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think most of us are more concerned about quality of life issues for our families (i.e., rising taxes, crowded streets, over-development, strained schools, and increasing crime). . . than whether or not some group (or publication) thinks this is a cosmopolitan city. How about we just get our water/sewer systems upgraded, our streets widened, our schools built and our crime under control . . . b/f we start worrying if we have enough "stuff" to qualify us as a cosmopolitan city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM

35,459 posts, read 43,169,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1000 from another native.
Brilliant!
Thanks, Mullman. I had hoped I was not being presumptive w/ what I stated.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM

1,852 posts, read 3,371,815 times
I appreciate the concept of wanting to live in a slower paced more rural community, but to say that the "locals" didn't want growth or these changes shouldn't have happened.. All these posts about "Natives" not wanting outsiders, whether intentional or not, when you state such a thing, it appears to belittling or underappreciating people moving here or that we somehow we "ruined" your sleepy little town. I hope we aren't that xenophobic.

Well most big cities get some sort of boom that make them grow into a metropolis. Charlotte was still a dcent size city even in 1990, and I think we really should be thankful for the growth. LA got it in the 70's and 80's, Seattle saw it, Phoenix got it it a decade or two ago, Atlanta also saw it. It would be kind of odd if no one moved around. Without the influx Charlotte could be suffering like Detroit, Pittsburg, etc, where they had certain types of industry that wasn't self sustaining. I know this an old thread, but Charlotte is a top 30 city in the US now, it was probably destined to be one. Will it be Chicago, NY, LA, SF, Boston, Miami, probably not any time soon. But most of those cities grew decades if not centuries ago. They are all suffering infrastrucrure issues, it is part of the age of cities/country. I would still like us to grow in the inner city vs outward, so that Charlotte proper can be a center of excellence and people can still have their suburbian ways. But sleeply little town is gone, lets embrace the future.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM

I didn't say all locals didn't want growth or improvement. I said we did not ask for the huge and rapid growth. I also said we are working to embrace the changes and move forward. Anyone who thinks our infrastructure is not suffering from such burgeoning and unanticipated growth has not taken a good look around - or is not aware how much this city has changed in less than ten years. I also did not refer to Charlotte as having been "rural." And I surely never said "the natives don't want outsiders."

Whytewulf, did you even read my post??????? Frankly, I am affronted at how you have twisted my words. And throwing in "xenophobic" on top of it . . . wow.

Last edited by anifani821; 06-16-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: typo - and add sentence

Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 AM

51 posts, read 95,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I didn't say all locals didn't want growth or improvement. I said we did not ask for the huge and rapid growth. I also said we are working to embrace the changes and move forward. Anyone who thinks our infrastructure is not suffering from such burgeoning and unanticipated growth has not taken a good look around - or is not aware how much this city has changed in less than ten years. I also did not refer to Charlotte as having been "rural." And I surely never said "the natives don't want outsiders."

Whytewulf, did you even read my post??????? Frankly, I am affronted at how you have twisted my words. And throwing in "xenophobic" on top of it . . . wow.
Where in Whytwulf's post are you singled out?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
Where in Whytwulf's post are you singled out?
Whytewulf posted after my post and it appeared to me to be a direct response to my post. What makes you think it isn't a response to my post, LOL?????

Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM

1,852 posts, read 3,371,815 times
My post was not specifically directed at you Ani, my post timing was just that.. timing.. And maybe to clarify a bit, its the general sense that Charlotte is "ruined" and that its because of the growth. In my opinion, Charlotte can become awesome (yay 80's) because of the growth. We probably won't be worldwide Cosmo, thats ok.. All major cities worth a dang are gonna grow, so you had something here.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
My post was not specifically directed at you Ani, my post timing was just that.. timing.. And maybe to clarify a bit, its the general sense that Charlotte is "ruined" and that its because of the growth. In my opinion, Charlotte can become awesome (yay 80's) because of the growth. We probably won't be worldwide Cosmo, thats ok.. All major cities worth a dang are gonna grow, so you had something here.
Thanx for clarifying, Whytewulf. I was quite taken back at being called a xenophobe (or rather, thinking the remark was directed to me). As I have stated many times, this is the New South and I think most people are doing what I am doing - trying to find ways to blend the new w/ the old . . . and find a happy balance w/ the changes.

I also believe the changes would have been more seamless if anyone had better anticipated the growth here. It really is rather unprecedented, tho. If you research other cities, no other city our size is getting the influx of new residents the way we are. Regardless, our infrastructure simply was not at the state to adjust easily. I get frustrated b/c of poor planning on the city's part, but I have to remind myself - could anyone have truly anticipated what has occurred here?

And I do resent the way builders have come in and gobbled up huge sections of the countryside - NOT b/c new housing was needed/built - but b/c municipalities allowed them to do it w/o making adequate restrictions that went along w/ the permits (i.e., more responsibility on the builders for greenways, street widening and maintenance, lighting, and $$ and property set aside for schools). Again, that is a planning problem, not anything any of us (natives or newcomers) had a voice in deciding. So those are the things that frustrate me. It is not the growth itself so much as the WAY in wh/ growth has been allowed . . . I feel our city fathers did not plan well.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,073,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Great post! Charlotte has many layers, but, "cosmopolitan" does not strike me as being one of them. I am a native of Chicago and sometimes I just get homesick watching the Chicago news (OK, that is a whole other post) that shows just how many things are available for people to do there. Not here, unless you have money. Just driving somewhere around here will cost you big bucks being stuck in traffic, or simply trying to get there with little to no public transport. (unless you live in S. Charlotte, of course)

There is a whole different structure here; people need to be categorized and appearances are of the utmost importance. IMHO that stifles the diversity that drives the cosmopolitan feel. Also, if you are over 30 and unmarried, you are viewed like some kind of freak....

Charlotte is a beautiful city and there is a TON of money here. Culture is certainly lacking, but, getting a bit better. The only really good thing is that there are a lot of jobs here, which is causing a lot of folks to move here. Maybe one day we can earn that "cosmopolitan" feel if enough people work to make these changes.
Your idea that Charlotte people think, "People need to be categorized and appearances are of the utmost importance", is a pretty shallow. What kind of people do you associate with? Secondly, you state, "If you are over 30 and unmarried, you are viewed like some kind of freak". Get real! Your experiences are not typical and just because you have a negative perception doesn't qualify your statements as being close to accurate. Ever heard the term, "When in Rome do as the Romans"?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM

4,897 posts, read 5,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa010 View Post
I know it's nothing close to NYC and I'm not asking you to compare it to NYC.

But regardless of other cities, would you say that Charlotte has a some-what cosmopolitan atmosphere?
I know this is an old post, but I decided to "resurrect" it. I say that Charlotte is establishing a very cosmopolitan feel to it. It is not on par with New York (my birth place) but it is getting better. Some people say that Charlotte has lost its southern soul and charm to an extent as if this is a bad thing. I say losing a little bit of southern "charm" is a good thing for obvious reasons that I feel I should not have to name.

I am a product of an earlier round of New Yorkers that came to Charlotte before the rest. My mother moved here from Queens in the early 80s and I was raised in Charlotte as a result. Charlotte has done a complete turn around since the early 80s and for the better I say.

Many of the old timers in Charlotte seem to think that Charlotte is still a "small town" and still is a "church going society" that loves big yards and BBQ. Well there is a BBQ joint walking distance from my townhouse and a Japanese Hibachi right next door to the BBQ joint too. There are several Asian and Mexican food markets all over town, and the official second language (soon to be first language) of South Blvd between Woodlawn and Arrowood is Spanish. Just look at all of the businesses in this area that advertise in Spanish. Many areas of the East side and North Tryon are the same way. Indian,Thai, and Vietnamese cuisine can be found all over town. I see these types of restaurants more than I do the BBQ joints.

In short, Charlotte is without a doubt gaining a cosmopolitan feel to it. The fact that minorities seem to be coming to Charlotte faster than whites (no offense to whites intended. I am black and married to a beautiful white girl) and interacial dating is very popular in many parts of town, I think Charlotte is going to have a GREAT cosmopolitan future!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte