U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,263 times

Advertisements

Your right the original question has digressed a bit.. Which happens so much on any forum. So, I guess its a yes or no question and no I would say its not. But it sure is fun.

I even had to edit that post, because I never lived in NYC(which I am probably referring to Manhattan more than say Brooklyn), I visited NY. But I always wondered if it would the life for me. Probably not, I prefer jeans and a t-shirt, hiking, and driving my Truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
When I look at the original question, I think that readers are possibly confusing two concepts. The terms cosmopolitan and international may be getting confused. I believe that cosmopolitan is a concept that is in the eyes of the appraiser. It is generally based traveling experiences that one compares. One might visit Charlotte and see all of the ethnic restaurants, people downtown during business hours from all over the world, and the variety of churches representing religions from all over the world and feel that it is a very cosmopolitan city. This would not be the case with the person from Philadelphia or New York. It would probably be the case with someone from Des Moines or Boise. So, it is not possible to say whether Charlotte is or isn't cosmopolitan and get a consensus. Nevertheless, I have read that if a city has more than 10% of its citizens from another country, it qualifies.

On the other hand, Charlotte is international. One out of eight families comes from outside of the U.S. It is an international banking center and has lots of representation from all over the world in the general business arena. Charlotte is one of the top cities in the U.S. with Forbes 500 company headquarters within the city. All of these companies are internationally known companies. Additionally, there is an international airport that flies to several cities in other continents.

In summary, Charlotte is good enough, but not San Francisco yet.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
When I look at the original question, I think that readers are possibly confusing two concepts. The terms cosmopolitan and international may be getting confused. I believe that cosmopolitan is a concept that is in the eyes of the appraiser. It is generally based traveling experiences that one compares. One might visit Charlotte and see all of the ethnic restaurants, people downtown during business hours from all over the world, and the variety of churches representing religions from all over the world and feel that it is a very cosmopolitan city. This would not be the case with the person from Philadelphia or New York. It would probably be the case with someone from Des Moines or Boise. So, it is not possible to say whether Charlotte is or isn't cosmopolitan and get a consensus. Nevertheless, I have read that if a city has more than 10% of its citizens from another country, it qualifies.

On the other hand, Charlotte is international. One out of eight families comes from outside of the U.S. It is an international banking center and has lots of representation from all over the world in the general business arena. Charlotte is one of the top cities in the U.S. with Forbes 500 company headquarters within the city. All of these companies are internationally known companies. Additionally, there is an international airport that flies to several cities in other continents.

"yet"? Don't know about anyone else, but I pray we never become San Francisco (or Atlanta, or Chicago ect). I want Charlotte to be Charlotte - a nice, family oriented, comfortable place to live. I do not want to see Charlotte become any more expensive to live in than it is already. I do not want to see Charlotte lose any more of its identity than it already has.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
I dont want to think about Charlotte 2030 plan but ugh whatever it becomes by then I hope I have outgrown this area but will respect Charlotte for what it is I love the newness of the area and wish the city leaders would focus on bringing life back to the West side due to it has so much potential and the east side I hope they save because it going down hill in my opinion. The cosmopolitan of this area suits me fine. To offer events such as this is just amazing in my opinion I just hope my pookie will not be working during this event because I want to go. Holiday Wonders | Best Chinese Shows
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,672,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

Good post, except for the San Fran part.

So let's define cosmopolitan:

Quote:
Webster:

Main Entry:
2cosmopolitan
Function:
adjective
Date:

1 : having worldwide rather than limited or provincial scope or bearing 2 : having wide international sophistication : worldly 3 : composed of persons, constituents, or elements from all or many parts of the world 4 : found in most parts of the world and under varied ecological conditions <a cosmopolitan herb>
— cos·mo·pol·i·tan·ism Listen to the pronunciation of cosmopolitanism \-tə-ˌni-zəm\ noun

Quote:
Wikipedia: Cosmopolitan Society/Cosmopolitan City, where people of many ethnicities, religions and cultures meet and live in close proximity (especially applied to busy sea ports)
Based on vindaloo's post and the above official definitions, yes, Charlotte is cosmopolitan. The important point to make is that there are cities more cosmopolitan than others. Case closed.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:46 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Sorry friends, San Fancisco may have been a poor choice of examples. I used it because it fits so many of the definitions of the word cosmopolitan.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:23 PM

85 posts, read 174,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
No way. it is basically a series of suburbs with an office park. Nice place for kids though.
thats a stupid, uniformed and innacurate comment.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Great post! Charlotte has many layers, but, "cosmopolitan" does not strike me as being one of them. I am a native of Chicago and sometimes I just get homesick watching the Chicago news (OK, that is a whole other post) that shows just how many things are available for people to do there. Not here, unless you have money. Just driving somewhere around here will cost you big bucks being stuck in traffic, or simply trying to get there with little to no public transport. (unless you live in S. Charlotte, of course)

There is a whole different structure here; people need to be categorized and appearances are of the utmost importance. IMHO that stifles the diversity that drives the cosmopolitan feel. Also, if you are over 30 and unmarried, you are viewed like some kind of freak....

Charlotte is a beautiful city and there is a TON of money here. Culture is certainly lacking, but, getting a bit better. The only really good thing is that there are a lot of jobs here, which is causing a lot of folks to move here. Maybe one day we can earn that "cosmopolitan" feel if enough people work to make these changes.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM

24 posts, read 60,661 times
I wouldn't consider Charlotte a Cosmopolitan city as compared to other cities in the US. But I would only consider about 5 cities in the US truly cosmopolitan.

I think the thing that really holds the city back is the lack of a top ranked University within it's borders. It is amazing that a city of Charlotte's size is just getting a Law School. And even more amazing is the fact that there is is no Medical school in the city.

The city has some nice museums, but they aren't really on the same level as those in several other similar sized cities.

Charlotte is still a great up and coming city, but it still has plenty of room for improvement. I can't think of any other city in the US that has made as much progress as Charlotte in such a short time, but compared to the big boys...it is still in the minor leagues.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Charlotte is a pre-Revolutionary town that has grown into a city. We didn't vote to become the sprawling metro area that we are now . . . and we didn't ask to become ANYTHING other than a livable, friendly place to raise our families.

When it gets down to it, most of us who are natives clearly see the direction CLT is moving in, even tho many of us didn't expect it back in 1990 . . . and we surely never envisioned the rapid growth. This used to be a somewhat sleepy corner of the world, wh/ was fine w/ us. We had decent shopping (SouthPark Mall) some upscale restaurants, lots of Mom N Pop establishments, traffic that was manageable and moderate taxes. We did not ask for a bizillion people to move here (meaning - we, the citizens). We happened to be a site where banking ended up putting corporate centers . . . and so that forever changed our city profile.

I personally liked having lakes w/ NO McMansions on the shore . . . and plenty of open space for boating and fishing . . . but that has changed. It is what it is. But what it is - sure isn't what the locals envisioned or even desired. Our city fathers did not anticipate the growth - the growth was historically in the RDU area . . . and so our infrastructure was not prepared for The Boom.

Now that it is quite clear that w/ the dawn of the 21st Century, Charlotte's identity is undergoing drastic changes . . . I think most of us are doing our best to figure out how to embrace the changes and move forward. However, this city endured for nearly 300 years prior to this influx of corporate entrenchment . . . so whatever CLT is today . . . historically it was a small merchant crossroads that saw Revolutionary War action . . . and which is now being pushed into a new identity that very few of us were clamoring for . . . Seeing houses knocked down to make way for McMansions and the lifestyles of the wanna-be rich and famous, Hee Hee, and seeing land paved over and pastures turned into subdivisions has NOT been a very attractive trend to locals. Crowded highways and schools . . . well . . . we are going through growing pains.

Charlotte is not mini-Chicago, or mini-NYC, or mini-Atlanta . . . and those of us who have grown up here never wanted it to be, either. The nice thing about living in a rather sleepy Southern town was the slow pace, friendly neighborhoods and large open land - agrarian life met a laid back semi-urban life at our city limits . . . and that has disappeared. Most of us were quite content to take a trip to visit "a big city" (such as NYC or CHI) while living at home in a less urban setting.

When I think of Charlotte, I still think of the city in the context of being a pre-Revolutionary War trading and business area. That was part of the charm - the winding streets and turn of the century architecture . . . some of that charm still exists but is being overshadowed by the relocation of corporate America and newly created suburbs that sprawl to the SC border.

Now we are dealing w/ all the challenges that come w/ rapid urban and suburban growth. Now we are under the microscope and on national lists citing Charlotte as "the best" for . . . and "the worst" for . . . and we have a thread asking - Is Charlotte Cosmopolitan? Heck, I no longer know what Charlotte is. The jury is still out as to "what Charlotte is." We were here a long time b/f The Great Migration here . . . and I hope we will be able to retain the charm that I see being lost (at times) as we try to meet the demands that come w/ rapid growth.

I think most of us (natives and newcomers alike!) are more concerned about quality of life issues for our families (i.e., rising taxes, crowded streets, over-development, strained schools, and increasing crime). . . than whether or not some group (or publication) thinks this is a cosmopolitan city. How about we just get our water/sewer systems upgraded, our streets widened, our schools built and our crime under control . . . b/f we start worrying if we have enough "stuff" to qualify us as a cosmopolitan city.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-16-2008 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: add word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or