Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:31 PM

93 posts, read 421,231 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am planning on moving to Charlotte from Phoenix, AZ in March 2014. I do plan on taking a trip to Charlotte mid February to check out housing options. Basically, being rather unfamiliar with the area, I was hoping to get some advice as to which areas of Charlotte I should look to live in.

I currently work for Texas Roadhouse, and I can transfer to either the Matthews or Concord location without a problem. I believe they are also opening a new Texas Roadhouse in Rock Hill, SC, which I could transfer to as well.

I would like to be in an area that has relatively easy access to grocery stores, walmart, target. I am 28 and single, I am not really into the bar/club scene, but I would like to be in (or near) an area that would be conducive to me meeting other singles. I do have a car, and I don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get places. I would like to be near an area that has walking trails and outdoor shops/ open air malls and restaurants if possible.

I currently have no children, so schools are not important, I will be renting for at least a year. I can afford to spend up to $800. per month and I am hoping to find a 2 bedroom for that price range. Again, I don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get places.

Lastly, how important is religion in Charlotte? I am not particularly religious, but I have no problem with people who are, I completely respect everyone's right to worship as they see fit. I am slightly concerned though about being looked down on because I choose not to attend church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:21 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
I currently have no children, so schools are not important, I will be renting for at least a year. I can afford to spend up to $800. per month and I am hoping to find a 2 bedroom for that price range. Again, I don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get places.
You can go onto apartment finder sites and check for places within your price range and close to your potential employer. Until you've done that and can name some places that caught your eye, there isn't much help we can offer. As a general rule, I'd stay away from East Charlotte, but there are nice/affordable pockets on that side of town (which makes my general rule moot).
Quote:
Lastly, how important is religion in Charlotte? I am not particularly religious, but I have no problem with people who are, I completely respect everyone's right to worship as they see fit. I am slightly concerned though about being looked down on because I choose not to attend church.
This is only an issue if you allow it to be. I wouldn't come here thinking that you can get away with telling religious jokes (Christianity especially). However, I returned to Charlotte 6 years ago, haven't stepped foot inside a church since moving, and nobody I know cares one bit.

Just from this part of your post alone, I'd say focus on Charlotte's Plaza Midwood or Noda area. You might not like a more family oriented suburbanized area of town.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-08-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM

328 posts, read 612,683 times
I'd recommend PadMapper as a tool for finding rental properties - I've had success with it. It might be tough to find 2 bedroom apartments in that price range near the center of the city (at least in the neighborhoods it seems like you'd be interested in). That said, however, I have known friends who have gotten lucky and found really nice rentals in great neighborhoods for under $800; just know that this is fairly rare. Neighborhoods that are walkable, safe, and in proximity to a lot of amenities include Dilworth / East Blvd, South End, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth and (parts of) Wesley Heights.

You'll probably have better luck looking further out - there are some spots along Tyvola between South Blvd and South Park, as well as up in northern Charlotte in the Mallard Creek area (which is far more residential). While these spots aren't totally in the center of the action, they are well within a 20 minute drive to almost anywhere you'd want to be. I lived in Mallard Creek for a time and nearly all of my friends lived in places like Elizabeth, South Charlotte, and Clanton Road area - even though they teased me about living so far away, I was never more than a 15 drive from wherever they were hanging out. You have to make more of an effort when you live on the outer parts of the city, but that's the trade-off for having a larger apartment.

You won't have an issue with religion. Yes, Charlotte is a particularly religious city, and the faith-community is well represented. While I do not attend church, most of my friends in Charlotte did, and I never felt alienated or distant from them or from the city because of that - I'm sure you'll find the same. What I did notice was that coffee shops and parks were really quiet on Sunday mornings, so I'd get a lot of work done while everyone I knew was at church!

There are so many reasons to love CLT, and I wish you luck in your move. Don't hesitate to ask the thread about must-see's and must-do's - I'm sure folks will have a lot of suggestions for you.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
I think Matthews, Concord or Rock Hill would fit most of your needs and possibly within your budget although $800 may be on the lower end for a 2-bedroom so if you're willing to live in a 1-bedroom you'd have more options. The only advantage of some of the in-town Charlotte neighborhoods mentioned IMO is meeting singles. But in the other three places if you are in an apartment complex there should be a fair amount of singles as well.

Of the three, I think Matthews is the best fit (I am actually a frequent customer of the Matthews Texas Roadhouse). There is a grocery store in the same parking lot as the Texas Roadhouse, as well as a Target across the street. There is a small downtown area as well as a farmers market. There are also many greenways in Mecklenburg County including one in Matthews.

However, they are actually building something called the RiverWalk in Rock Hill which might have everything that you're looking for. River District | Riverwalk – Mixed Use Development | New Homes – Rock Hill, SC | Charlotte, NC Although I really have no idea when it is all supposed to be completed.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:37 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

I am planning on moving to Charlotte from Phoenix, AZ in March 2014. I do plan on taking a trip to Charlotte mid February to check out housing options. Basically, being rather unfamiliar with the area, I was hoping to get some advice as to which areas of Charlotte I should look to live in.

I currently work for Texas Roadhouse, and I can transfer to either the Matthews or Concord location without a problem. I believe they are also opening a new Texas Roadhouse in Rock Hill, SC, which I could transfer to as well.

I would like to be in an area that has relatively easy access to grocery stores, walmart, target. I am 28 and single, I am not really into the bar/club scene, but I would like to be in (or near) an area that would be conducive to me meeting other singles. I do have a car, and I don't mind driving up to 20 minutes to get places. I would like to be near an area that has walking trails and outdoor shops/ open air malls and restaurants if possible.

There's also a Texas Roadhouse in Gastonia. You might not feel that Gastonia works for you now, but if you have 2nd thoughts on where you choose, I'd look at it in maybe a year. There are a lot of urban renewal & rehabbing projects going on right now.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Outside of the very high number of churches everywhere, I don't really notice that much of an emphasis of religion in Charlotte.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 AM

93 posts, read 421,231 times
Thank you all for the advice! I am kind of leaning toward transferring to the Texas Roadhouse in Concord. Is anyone by chance familiar with it? Is it in a nice area?

Based on my research, its seems like the Concord / Kannapolis area has a slightly better selection of rentals for my price range. I am also curious about the Huntersville area. If I will be working in Concord, how far would Huntersville and Kannapolis be? Also, could anyone tell me about Birkdale Village and Afton Village. Do those places have kind of an outdoor mall feel, with nice shops and restaurants that have patio dining options?

A few more questions: What is considered NODA? It may seem like a silly question, but I haven't been able to find much information about what it actually consists of and where specifically it is located in the area. Also what and where is the Dilworth area? If I lived in Concord / Huntersville / Kannapolis, how far would it be to go to these areas?

Thank you again for all the information!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM

You'd probably like Birkdale Village, but it'd be at least a half hour commute to Concord, and even longer during the holiday season and possibly weekends as the Texas Roadhouse is right by the Concord Mills Mall which is very busy.

Technically, I think there are only one group of apartments actually in Birkdale Village but they are overpriced IMO. There are a few other decent complexes within walking distance (Marquis at Northcross, Camden Sedgebrook, Redcliffe at Kenton Place) but even those will probably be over $800 especially for a 2-bedroom.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Actually, if you're more concerned about where you live and not where you work and like the Birkdale Village area, it might even be an easier commute to Gastonia than Concord Mills.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 AM

328 posts, read 612,683 times
Afton Village is really lovely, though I don't know how much it has to offer by way of rental apartments (a lot of that neighborhood is bungalow-style homes and I can't quite remember if there are any apartments). It doesn't exactly have an outdoor mall feel, but in the back part of it there is a wine bar, a couple of small shops, a restaurant and I think a gym. Plus, on the other end there is a nice park and a medical center of some kind, and a huge shopping center just about a minute's drive down the road (with a Target, Best Buy, etc). Not sure of what the prices are there, but it's a very charming neighborhood and in a convenient area - easy access to the highway, downtown Concord, and the exit 49 area.

I'd also suggest looking along Weddington Road and Rock Hill Church Road, which is not far from Afton Village. There are definitely apartment complexes that would be in your price range on those roads, and it is really safe, quiet, and similarly convenient in its location. Weddington cuts through the center of Concord and I believe it ends right where TX Roadhouse is. (The area that TX Roadhouse is in is Concord Mills / Speedway Blvd / Bruton Smith area. Totally safe, but can be very congested).

Don't be afraid to ask questions - none of them are silly and that's what this forum is for! NoDa is generally considered the area north of Uptown in CLT. It's the area between North Tryon and the Plaza (to the west and east), south of Sugar Creek Road. The main area is on North Davidson starting at 36th street (I know this is a lot of confusing street information, but if you look at a map it makes sense). You'll find a lot of art galleries, some cool bars, a very popular 24/7 french bakery called Amelie's, and more recently a couple of breweries. It's considered a relatively safe area, but I'd be careful walking around at night alone.

Dilworth is the area on East Blvd between Myers Park and South Blvd. While like NoDa it has shops and bars and a few galleries, it has an entirely different feeling. Less industrial, more residential. It's really pretty and has access to Freedom Park and the Sugar Creek Greenway (both of which you should check out). Just south of Uptown.

To answer your question re: how long it takes to get to Dilworth from, say, Afton Village - it really depends on what time of day it is and your route. With absolutely no traffic or construction issues on 85, I'd say roughly 30-40 minutes. I used to travel between Concord and CLT for work all the time, and you really get used to the drive. It's worth it to take advantage of what CLT has to offer while also taking advantage of the cheap rentals in Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte