Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

202 posts, read 538,957 times

Advertisements

also is that take home 10 or 12 month?

Sorry for all the ?'s, just trying not to make a big mistake. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Pay here is very low. I am making 50% of my CA salary. Hours here are much longer. There are more days required of teachers than many places (almost 200 days when you include teacher workdays and such.)

I have been working 3 months and am still waiting for my years of service to be determined. At that time, I should get a nice retro check, but it will still be very low. I have 16 years of experience, 2 MAs and I still make around 50K and have to pay $600/month for my family to be on my health insurance and that doesn't even include vision or dental.

Dawn

Dawn, if I may ask, what part of CA were you teaching? Also, how did you like teaching there? I ask because two of my older sons are in college - both education majors. One is graduating Spring of 2008 - Chemistry/Biology, the other one - Spanish. I am interested in education myself. I am a former accountant, have taken 70+ semester credits post-bac. I'm interested in relocating out to S. CA - San Diego or OC - just wondering what you think of teaching out there.

I can't believe how high you have to pay for your family to be on your health insurance and that rate not even including vision or dental. Someone else stated such a rate in another post - I am really floored to tell you the truth.

In any case, I wish you the best in NC!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
I LOVED teaching in SoCal. I worked in Los Angeles Unified School District for 16.5 years and never once thought of quitting. I worked 3 months here and hated it.

We lived in Pasadena and I worked in Los Angeles city itself for 14 years and then finished up my last 2.5 years in North Hollywood.

I would go back in a heartbeat if DH would agree.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Dawn, if I may ask, what part of CA were you teaching? Also, how did you like teaching there? I ask because two of my older sons are in college - both education majors. One is graduating Spring of 2008 - Chemistry/Biology, the other one - Spanish. I am interested in education myself. I am a former accountant, have taken 70+ semester credits post-bac. I'm interested in relocating out to S. CA - San Diego or OC - just wondering what you think of teaching out there.

I can't believe how high you have to pay for your family to be on your health insurance and that rate not even including vision or dental. Someone else stated such a rate in another post - I am really floored to tell you the truth.

In any case, I wish you the best in NC!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
Thanks for the info, I see how big cms supplements are compared to others. Wonder if its worth it?

I know its a very personal question and I understand if you don't want to disclose, what are we looking at for take home at the end of the month if your gross is around 3,000?
Re: CMS supplement pay, I guess it depends. Tough call.

I did this based on percentages because you can better see your net pay at any step in the pay scale. These figures are also pretty standard information so far as I know. Note, the deduction for NC retirement is required.

Federal tax 11%

State tax 5%

S.S. Payroll Tax 7.5%

Retirement 6%

These deductions total 30% of pay......so if $3,000 is the gross, net pay would work out to about $2,100.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb321 View Post
also is that take home 10 or 12 month?

Sorry for all the ?'s, just trying not to make a big mistake. Thanks
CMS may not offer the option of having 12 month pay for 10 month employees. I think they did at one point.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I LOVED teaching in SoCal. I worked in Los Angeles Unified School District for 16.5 years and never once thought of quitting. I worked 3 months here and hated it.

We lived in Pasadena and I worked in Los Angeles city itself for 14 years and then finished up my last 2.5 years in North Hollywood.

I would go back in a heartbeat if DH would agree.

Dawn
Hi Dawn,
Thanks for your reply; it's good to hear that you had such a rewarding and gratifying teaching experience in CA. I'm sure that your students appreciated you very much. Experienced, good teachers are a real treasure, that's for sure. I still remember some of my teachers going all the way back to elementary school; they were great. Oh, Dawn, maybe you will go back at some point; not sure of your reasons to move out of state, but I realize that life is full of twists and curves. I hope that things are good to you in NC; that you are appreciated and valued. Wishing you the very best in NC and that the time that you're spending there leaves you with some good and happy memories.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM

202 posts, read 538,957 times
THANK YOU !!!

Helps a lot. Looking forward to this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte