U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM

25 posts, read 87,410 times

Advertisements

Yet another "where should I live" question

We're thinking of relocating to Charlotte from Richmond, VA and are coming there in December for a day and trying to figure out what areas we would potentially want to live in. Here's the type of area we're looking for, any recommendations are highly appreciated for where we should drive around and visit:

1) Great public schools. Our kids would be in elementary but it would be nice to also be in a great middle and high school district. This really is the most important to us.
2) Close to the city (10-15min drive) but in a kid-friendly, walkable neighborhood where we could have at least some yard (1/4 acre+) and find a house under $450K with 4 bedrooms.
3) Something with a slightly more happening feel than a quiet suburbia feel. It would be great to be able to walk to cafes, shopping, park, etc. Basically, we want to have something to walk to and not have to hop in the car to go anywhere outside our neighborhood (as always seems to be the case in suburban areas we've lived).

As for where I'll be working, I do IT consulting so I imagine that I'll be at various places, probably starting with Wachovia so I want a good centrally located place so the commute won't kill me. Is the area around South Park Mall going north towards the city a good place to focus on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
nik

58 posts, read 226,647 times
Yes, that would be exactly the area that you are looking for in your pricing. You may have to sacrifice a little space/yard for the proximity to uptown. I would look at Cotswold, Randolph Park, Providence Park and the South Park areas. Those would be either Eastover, Cotswold or Sharon Elementary Schools. All would feed up into Myers Park High, which is rated in the top 20 in the nation in the Newsweek rankings. We went through the same process when we moved from Chicago. You will be extremely happy if your commute is a minimum since the traffic in Charlotte can surprise you (we live 4 miles from uptown, but it can be a 20 minute commute in traffic). Best of luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the info. What about the areas around the Charlotte Country Club and the NoDa area? Are there decent school districts and does it generally feel "safe" around there? I guess you call that North Charlotte, how would you compare that area to the area around South Park?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
NODA and South Park are very different areas like night and day and South Park being the day. I would do a search of these threads on this area to get a better conclusion.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

46 posts, read 187,270 times
Charlotte Country Club is lovely and relatively safe, but the elementary school struggles - most of the families in the area send their kids to private schools. NoDa is a hip area, parts are a bit scary after dark and schools also struggle.

Are you sure your work with Wachovia would be downtown? Much IT work goes on at the CIC near UNC-Charlotte

Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM

I think we've narrowed it down to somewhere in South Charlotte north of Hwy 51. Maybe the NoDa area isn't the place to live for us (but sounds like a cool place to visit). You all have been very helpful.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 24,194 times
Check out the Concord area. Especially Afton Village

Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Concord looks to be far from downtown if it's the same one I see on Google Maps. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
nik

58 posts, read 226,647 times
No -- you're correct -- Concord is far. You may also want to look in the Woodbridge area and the areas along Carmel and Providence around Fairview. These would be in solid schools, too. Keep in mind that Providence Rd. really backs up during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or