U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 09:29 PM

116 posts, read 365,737 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are originally from Europe and will be relocating due job opportunity to Charlotte area next year. We are so far considering areas of:

Weddington, Ballantyne on the South. We do have a higher budget for housing over $1 Million. Would you recomend any other areas?

Would you recommend any top preschool with good academics at the Weddington or Ballantyne area.

Also we are considering the Charlotte area independent schools. Any experience between these schools?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by Julia1997; 11-18-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 AM

513 posts, read 1,913,026 times
With that price range you will have no problem finding what you want. In the Weddington area, you could look at the neighborhoods of Longview, HIgh Gate, Skyecroft, and Sedgefield. There is a new neighborhood just starting to be built now called Bromley that looks like it will be very nice. Moderator cut: NO REALTOR LINKS Ballantyne Country Club is very nice, too. Also, in your price range, you should consider looking at the Myers Park and Eastover neighborhoods, as well as Morrocroft in the South Park area. For preschools, probably the 2 most popular in that area are Calvary Church and Carmel Christian. Here are links to their websites:
Calvary Child Development Center
Carmel Baptist Wee School, Matthews (Charlotte), NC
Both will probably have registration for next fall in January. You really need to register then or you will be on a long wait list!
For private schools, you should look at Charlotte Country Day, Charlotte Latin, and Providence Day School. Also, Charlotte Prep.
CCDS - Charlotte Country Day School
Charlotte Latin School
Providence Day School - Private elementary, middle and high school in Charlotte, North Carolina (http://www.providenceday.org/home/home.asp - broken link)
Browser Not Supported

Application for all these is coming up, so if you want your kids to go next year you'll need to apply soon!!! Good luck with your move!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-19-2007 at 08:21 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 07:17 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,846 times
Marblmom has given you good advice. I certainly would look at Eastover or Myers Park, two older close to the center city and well-established neighborhoods, before I bought anything. If you do decide to live closer to uptown (the center city), you will have your choice of some of the best independent schools: Country Day, Providence Day, Charlotte Preparatory and a very good new school Trinity Episcopal near uptown. If you live further out in Ballantyne or Weddington, you should consider Charlotte Latin. There is also a lovely new development called the Palisades on Lake Wylie that I would consider if I were buying. It's a planned community with a public school and an Episcopal School within walking distance of many of the homes. It also has a Nicklaus Design Championship Golf Course, private country club, town center for shopping and services, equestrian center, soccer-training complex, and miles of trails and paths.

Last edited by BarbJ; 11-19-2007 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 08:02 AM

755 posts, read 2,242,082 times
Charlotte Latin has buses that pick up in Myers Park and Eastover - a lot of students at Latin live in those areas. I can't speak to the other independent schools, but there are a lot of international families at Latin. It's one of my favorite things about the school.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM

41 posts, read 129,017 times
With your budget, I would personally look closer in. I lived in the South Park area (near Country Day) for five years and really liked the central location. We would have looked in Myers Park or Eastover but couldn't afford the space we needed. My daugther attended preschool at Christ Church (Episcopal) and then continued at PDS. Great experiences at both schools. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,846 times
Weedydidi has mentioned the number of international students at Latin. I don't know about Providence Day School, but I do know that Charlotte Preparatory School had a very large percentage of international students a couple of years ago. I don't know if this has continued, but at the time the school was very internationally oriented. Country Day similarly has 116 international students and exchanges with 6 international sister schools.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 PM

I really APRETIATE every opion here. It helps a lot. It's always scary to move to a new location. We are considering Skyecroft mentioned by Marblmom. It seems nice online. We like the fact that we could build a custom built home and the lots seems like a good size. Also we really enjoy to have club house with a pool. We used to live in Florida in the past and did enjoy the "resort style living". Thanks a lot for listing all other comunities. We are coming to Charlotte in few weeks to see different places a learn about the area.

I am concern about the private schools. It seems that it's quite hard to get in. We will definetly register to 3 of the Charlotte area independent schools. Probably top choice would be Charlotte Latin School. Our both children are billengual so I am worried about the tests and not getting in. We will have a tour at the schools in few weeks as well. We do need to be in the best possible pubhlic school district in case we are not accept it. It seems that Weddington has the best schools ratings. I like that there is a elementary, middle and high school. The situation in Ballentyne seems little confusing. I would be worried that my children would be redirected. Are there any other areas that you have good reputation for public schools?

In the South the Calvary Church and Carmel Christian preschools are probably the 2 most popular. Are these in Weddington? I will try to locate it in mapquest.

THANKS A LOT.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:07 PM

513 posts, read 1,913,026 times
The neighborhoods of Longview, High Gate, Skyecroft, etc. all have amentites such a pools and clubhouse. Longview also has a beautiful golf course. You can custom build in all of these. You might want to find a realtor to help you tour different neighborhoods. I've heard that southcharlotte&union who posts here is very good. You can probably find her through this forum! You should definitely tour the private schools while you are here. I really doubt if the fact that your kids are bilingual will be a problem. I think those schools seek out diversity and the value that kids of different cultures can add to the school. You are right that in Ballantyne your kids might be redirected to new schools. Weddington schools have a good reputation, though they are a bit overcrowded. New schools are being built to alleviate the overcrowding. Calvary and Carmel preschools are both located on 51 (Pineville-Matthews Rd) in Charlotte (actually Carmel is in Matthews, but it's basically Charlotte). From Weddington, it would probably take you about 15-20 minutes or so to get there. May seem a bit far, but lots of people go from Weddington to one of these schools as they are definitely worth it! I've heard Weddington United Methodist is also good, (on Providence Rd in Weddington) and that would be closer. Good luck!!! Also, FYI, I am not a realtor! I just found that as I have moved around here, it was very helpful to look on different realtor websites to do some searching. I thought it would be helpful for someone from out of the country to have an idea of where to look. I'm not endorsing anyone!!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM

264 posts, read 828,102 times
I hope I am not too late on this subject! You should look closely at the British American School of Charlotte. My son is in his third year there. It is a fairly new school near Ballantyne. Many of the families live in Ballantyne or Piper Glen or another neighborhood in your price range, which is Heydon Hall. I personally know three European families who live in Heydon Hall.

The school has many European and international families. My son has friends from France, Germany, Scotland, Pakistan, India, Russia, England, Cambodia...I could probably name even more. The British American School also does not do the same type of testing as the other private schools, so testing probably would not be an issue with your children.

You didn't say how old they are, but the British American School has classes starting at 3 years and presently goes up to middle school. We have been very pleased with the school and all the children I know are doing very well!

The website is The British Schools of America provide high quality education in a structured, positive and caring environment, which meets the individual needs of pupils.

On the public school side, the best elementary in Charlotte is Providence Spring. We live in this district, which is very near Weddington and Ballantyne, so it's the same side of town. There are several developments with houses in the 600-700 range and possibly higher. A realtor could point them out to you.
I hope this is helpful!

Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 PM

Default solnechko

Solnechko,

Thanks a lot for the information. We will consider British School as well. It's important for us to be able to interact with other cultures. Any Czech students that you have come across?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or