Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 34,407 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We planning on moving from Phoenix,Arizona to North Carolina or north of South Carolina -Charlotte area...
We have lived in NY before and still have a family there. We thinking about moving closer to East Coast so we can see them more often. We visited Charlotte last month and drove around checking the neighborhoods....
We are looking for nice areas with good schools.
I heard from somebody that it's good to buy a house in SC because they have lover taxes,and we still can drive to Charlotte if we have to, for work......
I would really appreciate any advises on good areas. We still have to find jobs but we want to know at least in what area we should look...
What you think about Forth Mill,SC, Rock Hill,SC, Indian Land,SC ....?

Thank you so much and have a great day!))

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Many posters will tell you to find a job before moving here, however I think the job situation is fine in Charlotte, despite having a large unemployment number. I moved from Austin, TX without a job and found one with no trouble.

Fort Mill, SC has a very nice school system. Majority of Fort Mill drives into Charlotte for work and entertainment.

I'm not sure which type of schools you're looking for, but Butler and North Mecklenburg High School are top 10 best in the state. Providence High School is also a very good school.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Not sure on rock hill (plus it's a commute) but indian land and fort mill are lovely. Schools are excellent in those areas. As for tax savings, it depends on your commute to the new jobs. Plus as long as you work in NC, you will pay both SC and NC state taxes. Only way to save fully is to live and work in SC. I would look for work in SC.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MOM View Post
Hello,
We planning on moving from Phoenix,Arizona to North Carolina or north of South Carolina -Charlotte area...
We have lived in NY before and still have a family there. We thinking about moving closer to East Coast so we can see them more often. We visited Charlotte last month and drove around checking the neighborhoods....
We are looking for nice areas with good schools.
I heard from somebody that it's good to buy a house in SC because they have lover taxes,and we still can drive to Charlotte if we have to, for work......
I would really appreciate any advises on good areas. We still have to find jobs but we want to know at least in what area we should look...
What you think about Forth Mill,SC, Rock Hill,SC, Indian Land,SC ....?

Thank you so much and have a great day!))

There are a lot of good areas in Charlotte and also outside of Charlotte (even on the SC side) that meet your criteria.

Best advice I can give you is (A) Find out where your place of employment will be First (to avoid a lot of unnecessary research) (B) DON'T move to SC Just because you heard the taxes are lower (move to an area because you like it).

Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Not sure on rock hill (plus it's a commute) but indian land and fort mill are lovely. Schools are excellent in those areas. As for tax savings, it depends on your commute to the new jobs. Plus as long as you work in NC, you will pay both SC and NC state taxes. Only way to save fully is to live and work in SC. I would look for work in SC.

I too agree that Indian Land, and Fort Mill are lovely but to say the schools in Indian Land are excellent....that would need to be put up for debate. These two locations (FM and IL) are two different school districts and two different counties in SC)

In regard to someone that may reside in SC and work in NC (refer to the following thread #3):

Income taxes, living in SC, working in NC?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 AM

625 posts, read 489,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I need to clarify this statement since its a common misconception.

The way taxes work is that you pay NC payroll taxes if you work in NC--NOT both as the poster above stated.

Its not a big deal, I've done it in the past with two other states. I live in NJ and work in NYC and pay NY state taxes. Come tax time, you file state tax paperwork in both states and they end up working it among each other. We'll be moving to Fort Mill and working in Charlotte. So paying NC payroll taxes. You're not double taxed. It usually ends up being a wash.

We decided on Fort Mill because of the schools and it has more of a town feel than Charlotte.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
I need to clarify this statement since its a common misconception.

The way taxes work is that you pay NC payroll taxes if you work in NC--NOT both as the poster above stated.

Its not a big deal, I've done it in the past with two other states. I live in NJ and work in NYC and pay NY state taxes. Come tax time, you file state tax paperwork in both states and they end up working it among each other. We'll be moving to Fort Mill and working in Charlotte. So paying NC payroll taxes. You're not double taxed. It usually ends up being a wash.

We decided on Fort Mill because of the schools and it has more of a town feel than Charlotte.
No you do pay both state taxes. It's a bit confusing but it's basically these scenarios:

Live in SC but work in NC or live in NC but work in SC.

You pay both state taxes but you deduct one state from the other. So you aren't double taxed BUT you do pay a portion to NC. And it's hefty. I've done it both ways and it isn't really a major savings to live in one state and work in another. Especially if there is a long commute involved. If it's a short commute, then it can be worth it but you still have to pay both states. A lot of people thought by living in SC they could get out of paying anything at all to NC and was very annoyed to find out otherwise. No matter what the scenario is, it's the cheapest if you both live and work in SC.

As for Indian Land schools, I actually preferred them to the the Fort Mill Schools when I toured them. And especially if you have special needs AND an honor student. But that's my personal experience and everyone has preferences of course.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM

186 posts, read 287,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I too agree that Indian Land, and Fort Mill are lovely but to say the schools in Indian Land are excellent....that would need to be put up for debate.
I have to agree here. We toured and looked into IL schools as well and ultimately decided against them. Talk to some parents who live in the SC side of Bridgehampton and see how many chose to send their kids to private school rather than IL schools. Not saying the IL schools are bod, just that I wouldn't consider them "excellent" as op did.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM

8 posts, read 34,407 times
Thank you all for help!
I do agree, that we have to find a jobs first, but finding a few good areas can help as to send the resumes in to that area.....
We like Charlotte area because is closer to New York (family) then Arizona, and there is no snow or just a little...and not to close to coast area (no hurricanes... i think..)

So after all -SC has lover taxes then NC?
How about property taxes...when buying a house... and then paying taxes every year... are they lower then NC?
We are looking for little town feeling.. some stores,bank, school, places to go and spend some time with family. I want to live away from the city but have a access to within 10 -15 minutes...

I think, we will be renting for few months,until we sell the house in Arizona. That way, we can still explore the area and decide where we want to buy a house..... We would have to put some furniture away in storage area for few months...We still trying to put all the puzzles together...

I appreciate every post!!!!
Thank you all for help. Sorry if my post is little all over the place..

Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM

SC is generally cheaper than NC in all types of taxes. I say generally as there are areas I believe in Fort Mill where the property taxes are on par with Union County which is in NC. (Or one of those) But generally yes, it's cheaper to both live and work in SC solely. And it's adding 20 minutes to your drive (in no traffic) to New York so it doesn't really make a huge difference if you lived in Charlotte or Indian Land. If you can get a job in the southern and western part of Charlotte, you will have lots of options for small towns as you would like. If you can get a job in Fort Mill, you would be really set. My husband was working in Fort Mill and we were this close to moving to Indian Land when he got an unexpected promotion back to NC. I was disappointed! But wherever you choose, good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte