U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 AM

115 posts, read 182,981 times

Advertisements

Ugh! Here we go again. I was born and raised in NYC - 35 years - and I love Charlotte. I find it sad and ironic that the OP and other Charlotte/South criticizing ex-New Yorkers, having been raised in a diverse, cultural melting pot, cannot find happiness within another lifestyle. The New York I grew up in (the same as yours) left me with an appreciation of other cultures and places. It left me curious and adventurous, and brave and confident enough to try new things. I learned that the world is a big place with a lot to be experienced. I learned that there is good and bad everywhere and that it is up the me to seek out, enjoy and embrace the positives of what other places have to offer. It did not teach me to trash the differences. I can think of nothing more dull and boring than a world in which every corner is like NY.

It sounds to me like the OP and other Charlotte/South bashers from NY lived their lives with like-minded people in the microcosm of a Bayridge, Bensonhurst, Sheepshead Bay, Huntington, Hauppauge, Islip and experienced not much more of NY than only leaving by railroad/subway/bus to work in "the city", stay for happy hour, return for clubbing and a twice-annual cultural trip (maybe). To me, that sounds small, dull and boring. So anyway, why are you here? Charlotte is not NY and if you had done some research, you would have learned that. Maybe you just chose the wrong area of Charlotte - again, doing your homework would have prevented making a bad choice for yourself. Go back if you don't like it (if you can afford to do so). If your parents landed you here and you hate it, make something of yourself so that you can earn enough money to return to NY. The great NC in-state tuition should provide you with a great education. As another posted stated - some people just love to complain and will find fault with everything - the grass is always greener...

Charlotte is wonderful place to live for many people, NY transplants included. But, it's not for everyone. No need to bash the differences if they are not for you. They are perfectly fine for others. Go home. I rest my case.

Last edited by Maggiemovingtocharlotte1; 12-02-2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM

206 posts, read 315,859 times
This post has been somewhat productive to me since I am in my research stage on my relocation plan.

I wish the thread contained more productive posts instead of posters who felt the need to bash the OP or attempt to convince the OP that her feelings and opinions are incorrect or not real. Those two are not objective, and they are not based on facts or logic. They are grounded on situations and circumstances. That's like telling someone who has a headache that he/she doesn't have one. In essence, her realities are not real.

For those of you who provided constructive responses, thank you.

Fortunately for me, most of the things the OP loves about NY but hate about NC are the exact opposite for me. Nevertheless, it was great reading the OP's view.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Actually some of her "realities" were in fact not real. Such as saying electricity costs more here. Fact is it does not.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Actually some of her "realities" were in fact not real. Such as saying electricity costs more here. Fact is it does not.
Nor does blaming the real estate agent for their spouses love of a house in the boonies.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Nor does blaming the real estate agent for their spouses love of a house in the boonies.
^ ^ ^ agree.

I still say . . . if OP lived in a different part of the city (well, IN Charlotte at all! She is now in Union County!) . . . maybe she would feel differently about her experiences here.

Not putting down Union County - just saying - OP's complaints have a lot to do with her present location as far as conveniences that she doesn't have close by.

Last edited by brokensky; 12-02-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM
NDL

3,151 posts, read 3,623,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I have a feeling the O.P. is a little homesick. Nothing wrong with that, but I think he or she is looking at Syosset in rose coloured glasses.

I lived in the very town that he/she relocated from, so I know it quite well.

On a positive note: It's great to see how many relocated New Yorkers love, and appreciate, the South

Old 12-02-2013, 09:04 PM

19 posts, read 33,693 times
MovingLItoNC, you are homesick! Moving is not easy, especially if the new lifestyle is very different. It takes time. I haven't read any of your posts, so I don't know how long you have been here and whether this is your first big move. It takes many people a year or sometimes more (18 months?) to get comfortable. It will come. Right now, the differences seem blaring. IMO, Charlotte is actually not very Southern and not very slow. LOL. I am from NY, too. I think the Walgreens in Wesley Chapel has a quick and efficient pharmacy, but I'm sure they can have bad days too. My suggestion is to get involved; jump into a few things. If you have children UnionCountyMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community is a very active group of moms. I am sure they would welcome you with open arms. You will make friends with moms who go to school with your children or are involved in activities with them. If you participate in organized religion, find a place of worship and volunteer. Get a part-time job or volunteer somewhere local. Join a gym. You've got to get out to meet people. Not everyone drinks. I don't and I live in Union Co. There are so many different types of people in Charlotte; you will find your niche. Maybe you would be happier in S. Charlotte or inside 485, but I wouldn't yet jump into another move. It's premature. Stay put and see what happens. If you are still unhappy in a year, then move. A year will also give you time to become familiar with other areas without jumping blindly into something else. Union Co. schools are good. They are not necessarily behind northern schools - they may do things in a different order (like read a certain book during a different grade). As a sophmore here, my daughter took classes with freshman, juniors and seniors. She didn't have credits for certain classes that were taught in Union in the freshman year and took them as a sophmore. But she also had credits for classes she took up North as a freshman but are taught in Charlotte during the sophmore year, so she took the next class with juniors and seniors. You will be very happy when your children are college age and they can attend great NC colleges for a fraction of what you would pay in NY. Hang in there and give it a chance. Good luck (and relax).

Last edited by NYtransplant1; 12-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 PM

21,895 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
Don't feel alone. I was excited like you too. I moved down here in 2011 from up North, and I HATED it for the first year and half. I used to have screaming attacks in my car driving, and getting used to the way people here operate a vehicle! or how utterly pleasant and nice and kind they are. I'm from Brooklyn. We don't walk down the street smiling and saying hello and good morning...lol. That used to drive me insane..I've never experienced that until I came here in 33 years.
I've adapted to that part... But you know what? God planted me here for a reason.

I'm still coming to grips with how things are and the slow way people move and think are. It is what it is. Trust me, a natural born and raised Brooklyn kid here can't stand it! I'm new to this scene. I'm like Judge Judy. We have active lifestyles, and like to think quick!
This is a place to relocate for bored, boring, and OLDER people who want to relax after x amount of years working in the big city, to retire and live a quiet, slower paced life and then die without much fanfare. It is what it is.

If you come from NYC or any northers state expecting late night romps and streets packed after 12:00 midnight, in NC or much LESS SC... FORGET IT! People are in the bed by 9:00PM. After that it is quiet. LOL.
There's no subway system (besides the Lynx, which is on the South side of town) and buses stop running after 1:00AM, in most place. Some areas at 11:00PM.
No you're not going to walk from East to West or North to South here. This is NOT NY! There's a lot that someone from the big city who is not ready to chill out, should NOT expect, if you plan on coming here. Let's NOT talk about the Food and what we DO NOT have, compared to up-top.
Compared to apartment living, it is definitely an A++++. 2 beds, 2 FULL bathrooms between $600 and $1000. Full amenities. In Brooklyn, you get a dirty/filthy run down building built in pre-war times, mostly with no elevator for $1,200-1400, and that's just a 1 Bed, 1 Bath apt with NO amenities. No carpet (real wood flooring A+++), no Washer/Dryer connections, no Patio, and NO MAINTENANCE (even though there is a super. usually lazy and a drunk)!

The streets are definitely cleaner than a NY street in a NY minute. LOL.
Since I moved down here, I have not seen a rat yet. And I've lived in some bad apt complexes. Well, let's say I left Brooklyn in 2008 and moved to NJ, and have not seen a rat since 2008. I've though seen and ran across raccoon's, possum, and deer here. You're not going to see that in Brooklyn. I have seen (NY style) roaches, but they are mostly in the lower income, shoddily maintained complexes on the East side and the West side.
Other roaches like wood roaches?, you will see if you happen to live on the 1st floor of a complex with a dirt/flower bed patio or entrance. Those are not bad to deal with. I had them. Spiders and Ants in the summer is huge here.
I've had my apartment burglarized and all my electronics stolen once. Good thing I had renters insurance to cover it.

The most interesting things that the people do here is Smoke Weed and Drink alcohol M-F. And on the weekends, they go uptown and do the same and party in the clubs and walk the streets.
And the females sell their bodies for money on Backpage and Craigslist to pass the time. When I came, I got caught up in the smoking and drinking part, and it almost took me over. I was never a weed smoker until I came here. Hanging out and getting to know the WRONG NEW people. That's how dull living here makes you.
The young urban population don't have jobs or the skills required to get and keep a job, because they are busy smoking and drinking all day! I know this to be a fact, remember I lived in the East side my 1st year here.

I've gotten myself involved in other extra-curricular activities like I did up top. Going to the gym and getting worked out and finding other resources to occupy my time. There are good things to do, just not @ the level/pace you would do it up north. I am learning the positives on my own. My Family down here didn't bother to take me around or show me anything when I came, so I learned the bad stuff 1st.

The minute you tell natives about how it's too slow or you don't like it, they tell you the same thing that the first few responses yielded. Don't blame them! They have a right to because this is all they know.This is what they are used to. People here can't think or move much faster than how they were raised in the South. This is definitely not a good living environment for someone who was raised up North. Our thinking, actions, and reactions are too fast for the South!
So, if you expect, and move here... don't expect and be prepared to be un-amazed, if you have an active outgoing lifestyle, after work. Because most shops close early, with the exception of the Gas Station.

I say weigh your options, and find out if it would be better for you to return to your old environment, or to try and tuff it out, until something better comes along.

Def not going back to BK to live. I move forward not backward. I KNOW that this is not the place for me. But, while I am here, I'm going to seek better opportunities for the future.
To a native southerner, this post would probably considered mean-spirited. This is the difference in how I see things, compared to those who just accept life as it is.

Oh yeah, I don't miss the SNOW either!
ROFLMAO!

I've heard this same litany & more for decades - in Philadelphia & South Jersey - from NYers. It's not North vs South, it's NYC & the metro vs the rest of the country for some people.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 AM

19 posts, read 33,693 times
Default NY to Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
ROFLMAO!

I've heard this same litany & more for decades - in Philadelphia & South Jersey - from NYers. It's not North vs South, it's NYC & the metro vs the rest of the country for some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
Don't feel alone. I was excited like you too. I moved down here in 2011 from up North, and I HATED it for the first year and half. I used to have screaming attacks in my car driving, and getting used to the way people here operate a vehicle! or how utterly pleasant and nice and kind they are. I'm from Brooklyn. We don't walk down the street smiling and saying hello and good morning...lol. That used to drive me insane..I've never experienced that until I came here in 33 years.
I've adapted to that part... But you know what? God planted me here for a reason.

I'm still coming to grips with how things are and the slow way people move and think are. It is what it is. Trust me, a natural born and raised Brooklyn kid here can't stand it! I'm new to this scene. I'm like Judge Judy. We have active lifestyles, and like to think quick!
This is a place to relocate for bored, boring, and OLDER people who want to relax after x amount of years working in the big city, to retire and live a quiet, slower paced life and then die without much fanfare. It is what it is.

If you come from NYC or any northers state expecting late night romps and streets packed after 12:00 midnight, in NC or much LESS SC... FORGET IT! People are in the bed by 9:00PM. After that it is quiet. LOL.
There's no subway system (besides the Lynx, which is on the South side of town) and buses stop running after 1:00AM, in most place. Some areas at 11:00PM.
No you're not going to walk from East to West or North to South here. This is NOT NY! There's a lot that someone from the big city who is not ready to chill out, should NOT expect, if you plan on coming here. Let's NOT talk about the Food and what we DO NOT have, compared to up-top.
Compared to apartment living, it is definitely an A++++. 2 beds, 2 FULL bathrooms between $600 and $1000. Full amenities. In Brooklyn, you get a dirty/filthy run down building built in pre-war times, mostly with no elevator for $1,200-1400, and that's just a 1 Bed, 1 Bath apt with NO amenities. No carpet (real wood flooring A+++), no Washer/Dryer connections, no Patio, and NO MAINTENANCE (even though there is a super. usually lazy and a drunk)!

The streets are definitely cleaner than a NY street in a NY minute. LOL.
Since I moved down here, I have not seen a rat yet. And I've lived in some bad apt complexes. Well, let's say I left Brooklyn in 2008 and moved to NJ, and have not seen a rat since 2008. I've though seen and ran across raccoon's, possum, and deer here. You're not going to see that in Brooklyn. I have seen (NY style) roaches, but they are mostly in the lower income, shoddily maintained complexes on the East side and the West side.
Other roaches like wood roaches?, you will see if you happen to live on the 1st floor of a complex with a dirt/flower bed patio or entrance. Those are not bad to deal with. I had them. Spiders and Ants in the summer is huge here.
I've had my apartment burglarized and all my electronics stolen once. Good thing I had renters insurance to cover it.

The most interesting things that the people do here is Smoke Weed and Drink alcohol M-F. And on the weekends, they go uptown and do the same and party in the clubs and walk the streets.
And the females sell their bodies for money on Backpage and Craigslist to pass the time. When I came, I got caught up in the smoking and drinking part, and it almost took me over. I was never a weed smoker until I came here. Hanging out and getting to know the WRONG NEW people. That's how dull living here makes you.
The young urban population don't have jobs or the skills required to get and keep a job, because they are busy smoking and drinking all day! I know this to be a fact, remember I lived in the East side my 1st year here.

I've gotten myself involved in other extra-curricular activities like I did up top. Going to the gym and getting worked out and finding other resources to occupy my time. There are good things to do, just not @ the level/pace you would do it up north. I am learning the positives on my own. My Family down here didn't bother to take me around or show me anything when I came, so I learned the bad stuff 1st.

The minute you tell natives about how it's too slow or you don't like it, they tell you the same thing that the first few responses yielded. Don't blame them! They have a right to because this is all they know.This is what they are used to. People here can't think or move much faster than how they were raised in the South. This is definitely not a good living environment for someone who was raised up North. Our thinking, actions, and reactions are too fast for the South!
So, if you expect, and move here... don't expect and be prepared to be un-amazed, if you have an active outgoing lifestyle, after work. Because most shops close early, with the exception of the Gas Station.

I say weigh your options, and find out if it would be better for you to return to your old environment, or to try and tuff it out, until something better comes along.

Def not going back to BK to live. I move forward not backward. I KNOW that this is not the place for me. But, while I am here, I'm going to seek better opportunities for the future.
To a native southerner, this post would probably considered mean-spirited. This is the difference in how I see things, compared to those who just accept life as it is.

Oh yeah, I don't miss the SNOW either!
ROFL! It sounds to me that you found your element here in Charlotte as you would in any city. Weed...this is all they know...females sell their bodies to pass time...young urban population don't have jobs because they smoke and drink all day? ROFL. Why have I never come across any of this? Why have you???
Your description fits many cities. It's not Charlotte. It's you!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,881,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtransplant1 View Post
ROFL! It sounds to me that you found your element here in Charlotte as you would in any city. Weed...this is all they know...females sell their bodies to pass time...young urban population don't have jobs because they smoke and drink all day? ROFL. Why have I never come across any of this? Why have you???
Your description fits many cities. It's not Charlotte. It's you!
I had to pick up my jaw from the ground with selling the bodies on the weekend and daily weed smoking. And while Charlotte probably has people like this, but so do ALL cities across the nation. But it's certainly not the norm nor is it prevalent across the city here. Well at least the parts I go through, thank goodness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte